Transferring master tapes / audio-cassettes

Julian67

Hi

Currently, I have 3 Spoken Word audio - cassettes + original master tapes which I would like to market, possibly on ITunes / Amazon or, by myself.

There are 15 stories, accompanied by sound effects and original, background music. Total time =107 minutes.

I wanted to market each story separately with artwork, depicting each story.

What would be the best quality / cheapest format to transfer the master tapes or, audio-cassettes onto?

Where can I get this done?

I live in Gloucestershire.

Many thanks

If they are on cassette, then anyone with a decent still functioning cassette machine and an audio interface could do it. Digital is cost neutral. The actual media carrier is irrelevant. A five quid usb stick will do the job of ‘carrying’ it. Marketing via aggregators is best. They will get it onto all the suitable platforms for you. They will be the cost. Between maybe 40 and a hundred quid a year to put it up and keep it there. Hopefully, it will make you more than that, but don’t bank on it.

the stumbling block will be the cassette machine and interface. Lots of us here have the equipment, and could do it for you. It just takes time, and of course the condition of the cassettes is important. You certain they still play? I’ve been searching for an old thing I did it the 80s. I found it! Trouble is the oxide is shedding and there are warps. Three recordings, and I’ve recovered about 95%. Repeated winds and rewinds and head cleaning gave me enough that I could edit out the dodgy bit with a better bit from the next record attempt. Biggest issue was sections where the tape had somehow warped or stretched making it move as it passed the heads and a wierd phasey sound. That took hours to repair, so that sort of issue is maybe uneconomic to pay somebody for?

none of the services I am aware of manage pictures though. That’s perhaps a separate distribution area I’ve never come across. You’d probably know more than that than me.

first step, do you want to do it yourself? Cassette deck, audio interface, computer with software, some which is even free?

Hi

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

As I mentioned, I have the master tapes, so I think it might be better & cheaper to transfer them onto a format that is easier to market. Ideally, from home, A long time ago, I sold the 3 audio-cassettes by post!.

I don't really understand the best format or, cost of transferring them from the master tapes!! Someone suggested MP3.

I would like the option to market them myself or, on ITunes / Amazon.

Alternatively, separate (from the master tape) each story & possibly mail order myself with attractive visual, depicting each story. eg like on a CD which I can mail order . then if the buyer wants another story, I could send it to him / her.

So if you could explain in simple language the process + format + cost idea, that would really help me understand?

1) Do I need to take the master tapes to a recording studio?

2) Or, could I send them to someone who can do what I want?

3) What does ‘carrying’ it mean?

As it stands now, the 3 cassettes are sitting in a drawer!

I had a studio record the artists and what I got were the master tapes which I duplicated onto audio -cassettes about 30 years ago!

Many thanks

As I mentioned, I have the master tapes, so I think it might be better & cheaper to transfer them onto a format that is easier to market. Ideally, from home, A long time ago, I sold the 3 audio-cassettes by post!.
So if you could explain in simple language the process + format + cost idea, that would really help me understand?

1) Do I need to take the master tapes to a recording studio?

When you say "master tape", are you actually talking about the cassettes, or are they on reel to reel tape, which is what most people call a "master" for quality purposes. While the actual transfer process is the same, A cassette deck is probably more readily available. As Rob said, as long as the tape is in good shape, transferring to a digital format is simply a matter of playing the tape and sending the output to a computer and recording the signal. Save the audio file as a .WAV file and that becomes the new "master". You can make multiple copies to store in a safe place, and unlike tape, they will all be equal in quality. Once saved, you can convert it to any other format is a few seconds. The free program Audacity can handle that function easily. For simple voice, an MP3 is perfect. You can also make CDs to sell. You can edit the original file into individual stories, or put them all on a disc like songs on an album.

There are studios that can perform the service, but will charge, often by the hour, for such conversions, but it's a job that most computer audio hobbyists could do easily.

If you want to add multiple images, then you are looking at a slideshow type of software. You can publish as a MP4 (video) format with the photos synced to the audio. Or that could be put on DVD to sell physical copies. This is a more involved process, and you'll need images. That may involve licensing if you don't have originals.
3) What does ‘carrying’ it mean?

I think he's just mentioning a USB stick as a medium to hold the audio tracks. Once in digital file format, they can be put on CD, USB memory stick, SD flash drives, or uploaded to places like Youtube, Apple I-Tunes, Spotify, etc.

Burning audio CDs just requires a computer with a CD burner and software. You could get fancy and have CDs with printable labels, which means you need the special printer but it could give a more "professional" look. CD burners are relativley cheap, the special inkjet printers will cost several hundred ($ or £). Inkjet printable CD-Rs should cost less than a £ a piece in lots of 50. Or you could have a commercial duplicator make CDs. It all depends on how much you want to invest and how big you think the market will be.

If you have a cassette deck and a computer with a mic/line input, you could go as simply as buying a cord to take the output of the cassette deck into the computer. Use Audacity to capture the sound (you will need to adjust the cassette's output to give a clean signal to the computer) and save the file. Once in the computer, there are ways to manipulate the audio for quality purposes, and I'm sure one of us here could help with that. Then you could decide if you want to pursue the project further.

Hi Talisman Rich,

Thank you.

The master tapes I have are reel - reel.

Back in the late '80's,I had audio-cassettes made from the master tapes and sold them with colour inlay cards. A simple procedure. But like audio-cassettes I moved on to pursue other interests. Now of course, audio-cassettes are outdated but not the stories, aimed at the children's market.. I don't even have a cassette deck anymore but of course, getting one not a problem. Some time ago, I went to a nearby recording studio with one of my audio-cassettes and the engineer said the quality was excellent to convert. But of course the quality of the reel - reel master tapes would be better.

My colour inlay cards are attractive, depicting the character / story. Ideally, I would like to sell each story separately, accompanied by a colour inlay card. I can visualize a CD with visual but I'm not clear on the best format.

My plan is to update the technology and sell the 15 stories by mail order. Or, on ITunes as they have the distribution & marketing all set up. But not sure what format they require.

Based upon the above, what format with inlay card would you suggest?

Apologies on my confusion but I'm merely the writer and technology is not my forte!

Thanks again.

Definitely go back to the open reel tapes for remastering. If they were done professionally, the alignment of the original recorder should be correct, so a transfer from those will be optimal. Cassettes can be quite good sounding, but even at their best it's a drop in quality from a good open reel recording. And a cassette machine, even in a pro studio, might not be as carefully maintained as their open reel deck, so the original cassette dub or the transfer might not be optimal.

Yep - if they are on real reel to reel (sorry, couldn't resist that one) there are people who can transfer them to digital.

It's not that easy to get your stuff onto iTunes. However, Amazon could be a possibility. They have a special department for self-publishing books. They charge a flat fee, and you keep all the royalties. To get access to the audiobook side, you MUST have either a hard copy or an electronic version - kindle etc. Could be useful.

I think iTunes only accept audiobooks via aggregators - like audible (who are Amazon), so the rule on printed or electronic still applies.

I am not aware (doesn't mean it's impossible) but the big distributors do podcasts, but not books as separate things. You need to have a real book, with ISBNs and paperwork.

amazon publishing text chat page

If you were to sell CDs, you could have cardboard cases or Digipaks with your artwork, This might be better handled by a commercial duplicator such as https://www.duplicationcentre.co.uk/ or https://www.bandcds.co.uk/ . You are looking at prices of around £1.5 each for a 50 or 100 disc order. However, if you want to do 15 titles, then you are a looking at a significant investment. Maybe do 2 stories per disc?

How many copies of the cassettes did you sell? That would give you an idea of the potential market and how many copies of each you might need.

Otherwise you can work with the printable CDs, design the image on the disc, and burn as needed yourself.

"Biggest issue was sections where the tape had somehow warped or stretched making it move as it passed the heads and a wierd phasey sound. That took hours to repair, so that sort of issue is maybe uneconomic to pay somebody for?"

Rob, do you have a cassette deck with a "dual loop capstan" tape transport? If so, read no further.
If not then try to find one. I had a Denon so enhanced and the advantage of the DLC system is that it make tape tension virtually independent of take up and feed reel tensions and also counters many of the failings of cassette mechanisms.

There was also a top end Sony machine with DLC but I cannot remember model numbers...I bet Sweetbeats will!

Dave.

A buddy still has a Nakamichi 700 that has dual capstans, and does azimuth adjustment as well. They were top of the line decks when they came out in mid 70s. It should extract everything that is on a tape.

Luckily, since this is voice, you really won't need to worry about the ultimate in high frequency response, and it should also respond to noise reduction techniques.

Seeing that JP has sent him a message, it's a good chance that he'll at least get things properly transferred. Then it's on to the next step... distribution.

My plan is to update the technology and sell the 15 stories by mail order. Or, on ITunes as they have the distribution & marketing all set up. But not sure what format they require.

Based upon the above, what format with inlay card would you suggest?

Based on comments from other parents, many children listen to stories in the car or while travelling. Audible is often mentioned so having your books on there would make them easy for parents to find. Whatever you choose, parents nowadays will mainly use phones or tablets to play stories so you need to make it easy for them to download or stream your stories.

A buddy still has a Nakamichi 700 that has dual capstans, and does azimuth adjustment as well. They were top of the line decks when they came out in mid 70s. It should extract everything that is on a tape.

Luckily, since this is voice, you really won't need to worry about the ultimate in high frequency response, and it should also respond to noise reduction techniques.

Seeing that JP has sent him a message, it's a good chance that he'll at least get things properly transferred. Then it's on to the next step... distribution.
Ah yes! Natchies were the Dogs Bollox! Never aspired myself. Job's a good'un then.

Dave.

Ah yes! Natchies were the Dogs Bollox! Never aspired myself.

I used to wonder what the fuss was about until I got to try one (an RX202). It has a far more stable sound than any other deck that I've used and the Dolby does what it is supposed to do without sucking the life out of the sound.

I used to wonder what the fuss was about until I got to try one (an RX202). It has a far more stable sound than any other deck that I've used and the Dolby does what it is supposed to do without sucking the life out of the sound.
The Denon I mentioned had 3 heads, DLC and CPU controlled tape optimization. Loaded with TDK SA it was virtually impossible to tell a rip of a CD from the original... but, as I say, never got to try the N machines.

Dave.

Back