Tracks bleeding into each other

offlimits

I am using a very old version of Cakewalk which has served us well for years but I recently changed the computer to a faster one. We record track by track so when tried to record a second track, the first track is playing on the armed track. I know it is something simple but can't figure it out. I have a similar problem with Cubase Ai4 but never resolved it. Any advice would be great.

Need more info to help.
Do you mean you hear 1st track while recording the second, or is the 1st track actually recording on the second.

The computer is a 2GB and the mixer is a Berringer with 8 outputs, no USB just 1/8" jack into the back of the computer. I'll try a few things but still have the problem. Thanks.

The computer is a 2GB and the mixer is a Berringer with 8 outputs, no USB just 1/8" jack into the back of the computer. I'll try a few things but still have the problem. Thanks.

The internal soundcard is the most likely cause. Get an interface. :)

Berringer with 8 outputs, no USB just 1/8" jack into the back of the computer.

We still need the model of the Behringer mixer. Most likely you have not set up separate record and monitor mixes. How you route things, or if it's even possible, to get this done depends on the exact model.

The Behringer mixer is a XENYX 1002B, paid about a hundred for it. I'm still trying but no success.

That's almost certainly the problem. That mixer has no way to send a full mix to the headphones but only the live inputs to the main out. It was just not designed to do that. One way you can use it for tracking is to connect the Mon out to a headphone amp. The send from the computer would go into a stereo channel (not the 2-track input) and you would keep that fader down. Use the Mon knobs to make a headphone mix that includes the backing tracks, but send only the live inputs from the main out to be recorded.

A proper audio interface would solve the problem and sound better than your stock sound card.

Thanks for your help. The problem was the computer I was using that had very little ram but also a cheap soundcard. I went back to the other one I was using before and we are back on track after a few months of no recording. I had bought a Tascam US-1800 a few months back and spent many hours trying to load Cubase 5 to no avail and gave up temporarily till I get a more powerful computer. The Tascam is supposed to play 4 simultaneous tracks which is what I ultimately want but I think you need a super fast computer and better soundcard to make that work. We have been recording track by track for a couple of years now but really want to get 4 simultaneous going. Thanks again, all the advice I received was helpful.

The Tascam is supposed to play 4 simultaneous tracks which is what I ultimately want but I think you need a super fast computer and better soundcard to make that work.

The Tascam interface doesn't depend in any way on the soundcard in your computer. It functionally replaces the soundcard for music production purposes.

Thanks for your help. The problem was the computer I was using that had very little ram but also a cheap soundcard. I went back to the other one I was using before and we are back on track after a few months of no recording. I had bought a Tascam US-1800 a few months back and spent many hours trying to load Cubase 5 to no avail and gave up temporarily till I get a more powerful computer. The Tascam is supposed to play 4 simultaneous tracks which is what I ultimately want but I think you need a super fast computer and better soundcard to make that work. We have been recording track by track for a couple of years now but really want to get 4 simultaneous going. Thanks again, all the advice I received was helpful.

It seems you have much of a setup issue going on here. And maybe a bit of research needs to be done. You should have no problem getting Cubase to load on your system, and the 1800 will allow unlimited playback tracks from Cubase 5. With a possibility of recording 16 tracks at once. The fact that you express that you need a more powerful computer with better soundcard, leads me to believe you need to do more research. The 1800 will 'replace' your internal soundcard.

Give a bit more info, and lets get you figured out man. First off, what are your computer specs?

I had some time to try out a few things today. I finally got the Tascam US-1800 to work with a very old version of Cakewalk. Everything works, playback thru headphones, thru monitor speakers and no bleeding of tracks. Part of the problem was with the USB power cord but also in selecting Tascam US-1800 in the playback and recording section of Audio Devices of the control panel of the computer. One problem I am having is not being able to get a stereo signal in each track. When I use the pull down below each track with has left, right andstereo picks, the stereo play left and the left plays stereo so it doesn't record in stereo which won't really do fhat we want. Maybe its a bad power cord or USB port, I'll try that soon. The computer I'm using is a Dell with 2GB of Ram and a 256 MB hard drive. I use a tube pre-amp on the vocals and a headphone amp for playback. Now everything works off of the Tascam, all the controls in one spot, its awesome. Thanx.

If you are recording to a stereo track, you need a stereo source. A stereo track is just two mono tracks. If you have only one mic, it will only go to one side of a stereo track. Look at your input settings, it should make sense there. One input channel (one input), can only be sent to one mono track, or one side of a stereo one. Two mics, or inputs into two separate channels of an interface, would be necessary to record a stereo track. I hope this made sense......

Yes that makes sense. I'm learning all this stuff as I go and appreciate all the help I've been given by this forum. I think everything is working well then. Thanks.

Back