Toys R us

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that they weren't sold. But the way we used them might have been different with the old brushed DC motors that you had to maintain and oil, single pin cars that could come loose from the groove (and sometimes the entire track), changeable bodies...I just don't see a lot of that stuff around. My dad designed and built the track we used.

Yep, they have model railroad stuff, too...and Bachman and the rest are still making them pretty much like I remember them. Had a huge N scale setup when I was a preteen-teen. Spent lots of time with my dad making dioramas and stable track beds (he had been a telegrapher at the end of that profession and had a passion for railroad stuff. I just liked that it gave us something to do together)

I think there is a common theme here, though. MOST (I'm not saying all) parents today want their children to play with iWhatever to keep them out of their hair, and the kids prefer that. My dad wanted things we could do together, and we preferred it. Don't get me wrong, there were things we did NOT want to do as a family (but we ended up doing anyway). There were also a lot of times when we did things alone or just my bro & me.

I grew up playing with sticks and rocks and a bike. I built forts in the woods, stomped through ditches, caught frogs and snakes. Who needs a toy store?

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that they weren't sold. But the way we used them might have been different with the old brushed DC motors that you had to maintain and oil, single pin cars that could come loose from the groove (and sometimes the entire track), changeable bodies...I just don't see a lot of that stuff around. My dad designed and built the track we used.

Yep, they have model railroad stuff, too...and Bachman and the rest are still making them pretty much like I remember them. Had a huge N scale setup when I was a preteen-teen. Spent lots of time with my dad making dioramas and stable track beds (he had been a telegrapher at the end of that profession and had a passion for railroad stuff. I just liked that it gave us something to do together)

I think there is a common theme here, though. MOST (I'm not saying all) parents today want their children to play with iWhatever to keep them out of their hair, and the kids prefer that. My dad wanted things we could do together, and we preferred it. Don't get me wrong, there were things we did NOT want to do as a family (but we ended up doing anyway). There were also a lot of times when we did things alone or just my bro & me.

yeah I get what youre saying...my daughter gets the ipad, she get TV shows too...but no more than two hours a day, normally much less, and its age appropriate. the TV doesnt show any non kids programmes while shes awake.

we got as much tv as we wanted when I was a kid, parents are more informed nowadays, no teflon, no plastics, low mercury fish, organic foods...shit its taking the fun out of raising them badly ;)

but kids still love books, balls, tents, paddling pools, crayons, empty boxes...its not changed that much imo, the local farm and orchard is still packed with families every weekend here

A lot of the old duffers on this thread seem to have rose tinted shit in their eyes.

While kids do have iPads and smartphones these days they still go out and do fun stuff just as much as I ever did. I was actually surfing with my 13 year old nephew last Saturday.

If parents have a problem with the way kids are these days they need to take look at themselves and what they are allowing, not blame the kids.

Nothing beat a good old expedition into the deep woods.

Man hunt was pretty cool too.

No toys required.

I loved N scale when I was a kid, so much cooler than HO. Harder to keep running though.

All the kids of the people I work with do two things:
Some form of organized sport, dance, etc too many hours a week as they are living their parents' dream of superstardom.
Glued to their iPhones or Playstations the rest of the time.

Back