<---Totally new owner of Tasam 424mkIII

Cobra67

I just bought a Tascam424. I have ZERO experience recording (other than boombox in center of room-hehehe). I'm not real interested in making demo-quality stuff yet but just something to listen to. I have REALLY cheap ass mics (Nady Starpower 9--but hey at $9.99 each, who cares?) I'm TOTALLY into recording the whole band playing live. Now I'm not totally sure how to use the 5th and 6th channel, but these were my plans: One mic for vocals. One mic in front of the rhythm guitar amp. One in front of the lead guitar amp. One in front of the bass amp. And two for the drumset which I'd just position to get the best possible sound for this crappy method which I employ. IS ANY OF THIS POSSIBLE!?!?!?

Thanks ahead of time for the help!

YO HisssssssssssCOBRA 67 man:

There is a Tascam forum here; you can use that to help you learn your box. Also, the manual will help you or destroy you -- one or the other.

But, you want to do big things right off the bat. You will need to learn to use your equipment no matter how good/bad the mics are.

My suggestion is that you record the chords/keys and drums first. If you going to to this with a live drummer, you will need better periphials than you mentioned. If you do it with a syn and a drum machine, not hard. Then, you add the rest of the music by overdubbing. Last, you put in the vocal; if you try to do it all at one sitting, GOOD LUCK and have a large bottle of aspirin handy. Ask Kelly -- he should have plenty on hand.

Green Hornet

Howdy Cobra
You can record the whole band at once, and it's not to much of a pain in the ass. But if you are one of the players in the band you will need to have someone baby sit that recorder. But to answer your question

"I'm not totally sure how to use the 5th and 6th channel"

The channel 5&6 listens to what ever it is assigned to and adds it to the recording. If you have an effect on line in port 5 then the switch has to be set to 5 and the same thing for channel 6. these are usually used as an effect return, but could also be used as an input for a drum machine, mic, or any other line level source.

Oh Great Grizzled ONE & Snake-man of Cobra extraction:

You can record the United Nations if you want to but, have you ever noticed how many mics are used when the Symphony is recording live? Many, many, many, mics and relays and tons of other gear and miles of cable.

I have a musician friend who records his group while on the gig with a Sony box, very small digital box; then, he dumps it into his PC and does Cd's; if it works it works.

I would think with the gear you have on hand, even with a recorder baby-sitter, you will have a tough time getting the balances, lead solos, etc. But, like the man of grizzly stuff said, you can record your whole band. That may not be a pain in the ass; but, I'll bet you trying to get a good mix down will require a week's worth of Preparation H.

Green Hornet

Back