toshiba laptop deal i got win 8.1

junplugged

Taking the slow road
i can't yet recommend it for anything, i just got it, hoping to use it with roland quadcapture, i couldn't / didn't want to work so hard trying to run old drivers in compatibilty mode with my old tascam us144 and reaper recorded pure noise so i just figured i'd upgrade since microsoft forces us to do it, tascam didn't upgrade drivers, they'd rather sell more gear... but that's how it goes, unless you pay out the eyes for a mac...

microcenter had it for 259, now it's 279, quad core, but amd, i think it is around a core 2 duo in performance, 4 gigs ram

i can't yet recommend it for anything, i just got it, hoping to use it with roland quadcapture, i couldn't / didn't want to work so hard trying to run old drivers in compatibilty mode with my old tascam us144 and reaper recorded pure noise so i just figured i'd upgrade since microsoft forces us to do it, tascam didn't upgrade drivers, they'd rather sell more gear... but that's how it goes, unless you pay out the eyes for a mac...

microcenter had it for 259, now it's 279, quad core, but amd, i think it is around a core 2 duo in performance, 4 gigs ram

One of the areas you have to watch for on these deals are the hard drives. They usually put in the 5200 RPM drives, which will give you more issues than a lower CPU.

good point, I didn't check it, I am trying to tune it so Win isn't thrashing the drive, I'm shutting down services and things and removing all the live Win 8 tiles, there's anti-virus on there I had to temporary stop, I haven't made the changes to services & anti-vir permanent yet...

at some point I might upgrade to a ssdhd if I can afford it and if it looks easy to access the drive bay.

good point, I didn't check it, I am trying to tune it so Win isn't thrashing the drive, I'm shutting down services and things and removing all the live Win 8 tiles, there's anti-virus on there I had to temporary stop, I haven't made the changes to services & anti-vir permanent yet...

at some point I might upgrade to a ssdhd if I can afford it and if it looks easy to access the drive bay.

The HD is usually easy to access. There is normally a door with 2-4 screws. I just saw the price for a SSD 480GB for about $260 on Tiger, so prices are coming inline. 480 should give you room for everything and then just use a USB drive to keep your projects archived.

I am a big fan of Malware Bytes for Anti-virus, one time cost and your pretty set for life (at least so far), I get definition updates daily and it doesn't seem like a resource hog.

Back