Top budget vocal mic roundup - VG67GS/9090 - AT2020/2035 - M179 - SP B1 - GXL2200

CaliGal

Music Industry Veteran
I was set to pull the trigger on the MXL VG67GS based on good reviews - but started reading it's really almost an omni mic and I need a little better rejection/directionality/cardioid for home recording music vocals in an untreated room but don't want to go with a dynamic mic as it may serve other uses beyond singing.

The list of acceptable LDC miles in the near $100 range (used or new) is pretty big. Much more than way I could squeeze in the title. I'd be going for a Shure SM7 or AT4040 if the budget were higher, but for me at this point this is just hobby level.

Please add to the list and comment if you like on different models.

MXL -
V67G V67GS etc.- $90-$120
9090 supposed same as the above? Used only...
Many many more...

Audio Technica -
AT2020 - $100
AT2035 - $150
Many many more...

CAD -
M179 - $130
GXL2200 - $67

Studio Projects -
B1 - $120
B3 - $160

SE Electronics -
Magneto - $80
X1 LDC (higher price ($189)

Rode -
NT1A ~ $100+ used

Blue -
Spark - $200

There are a number of others that *used to be* around $100 that have jumped up to $200ish.
It's nice if the mic comes bundled with a shock mount too - it sounds silly but I've hear issues getting the right fit on certain models.

Yes - all mics are dependent on the voice you're recording. BUT say - for not overly low deep, or high shrill voices - just doing pop music, prog rock, ballads, nothing screaming.

And YES - a $100 range mic isn't going to sound unbelievably good - but that's not the search. Just finding "pretty good" - the better ones from the masses.

Last edited:
Add B.L.U.E. Spark to the list. And frankly. I like the V67G a lot. No mic is going to change the room you're in. Mic placement, mic technique, and whatever isolation you can jury rig is going to make a lot more difference than how wide the cardioid polar pattern is.

Are you pegged out at around $100? If you could squeeze a few more dollars into that mic budget a Rode NT2-a or an SE2200a are both really good for the price (both are new for ~$400); they both cover quite a bit of turf when it comes to working with different sources.

Thanks - I've added the suggestions to the list though they do go above the price range a bit.

I ran across this online tool -Clipalator Audio and Video for Pro Audio Gear @ ZenPro Audio where one can compare many different microphones up against one another, though the list is filled with higher end mics... It doesn't cover everything obviously but does hit on some of the common names. I opened two windows and did A/B several against the U87 for the M Voc sample. It was fun - some were horrible, others not bad. Of course in the low end one won't find real competition, but it's interesting to play with. :-)

go to guitarcenter.com, click on the used gear page and have fun loking at CAD gxl2200, M-Audio Nova, MXL 990/991, etc for around 40-50 each. Including shipping. No joke.

The 9090 is a (cosmetically) plain version of the V67i. Unfortunately, it now sells for about the same price as the V67i. A few years back it was selling for less than the V67g. I bought a few, new, for less than $90. I'm not selling 'em. It's a "dual-capsule" V67g with pad and roll off. I do like the V67g, so, performance-wise, i like this mic even better.

CAD M179---virtually impossible to beat for features, specs, utility and performance at it's low price. To me, it often reminds me of the opposite of a Heil PR40---in a good way, it's a condenser mic with a dynamic mic quality. Another set of mics I'm not selling.

Another inexpensive ($60) mic with some versatility: Nady SCM960. You could spend more and buy it as the JoeMeek JM37DP.

You have to love the specs of the Blue Spark (and Blue mics in general). It was on sale last summer for $100---a lot less than it's selling for now.

At the USED department of GuitarCenter online: Octava 319 mic, all day, returnable, for $100. If you're interested in one of these, go online to find out how to (easily) spot a counterfeit 319.

Good luck,
Paj
8^)

Back