AT2035, Shure SM58, AKG Per 120 or M-audio Nova for vocals?

jimmy3

Hi

I have really gone through this forum, studying about mics, why not to select the USB ones at all, the dilfferent types for different vocal tone etc. Many mic qs posted by many people. And yet, I cant help but post one of mine, as the list is very exhaustive and equally difficult to choose!

Just to explain, I have a soft voice quality (not shouting ones), would be recording both male and female voices (no drums or guitars), and particularly soft melodious songs. I would be purchasing the Focusrite Scarlet 6i6, and intend to use either Albeton live or Cubase (which I have been using so far). I'll be doing recordings mainly at home, trying to keep the room as quite as possible. My budget for the mic is below 150$. (I also do lot of stage shows, so a SM58 would be on the way sooner or later).

Now going over various mics, and almost scratching my head the more I see, I have shortlisted few which comes under my budget.

Audio Technica AT2020 (read both good and bad reviews, so am really confused if its worth purchasing)
Audio Technica AT2035 (whats the 10 db pads, are they used for guitars?)
M-Audio Nova (read some good reviews, the absence of high pass filter - is that an issue??)
AKG Perception 120 (again, good reviews, plus 20db high pass filter)
Shure SM58 (this one was the most confusing. Do dynamic mics really give the quality of the condensers? Hard to believe as it is, many have said so! Since I am planning to get one for my live stage shows, my little grey cells keep asking, "...then is it really necessary to get another condenser for recording!")

Advise please.

Hi there,
A pad attenuates your analog signal to avoid overloading your preamp or converters.
This can be really useful if you're micing a really loud source and the preamp gain is already turned all the way down.
Sometimes you'll find a pad on the preamp, the mic, or both.

A high pass filter is just a fixed eq setting that rolls off the extreme low frequencies. This is handy in a dense mix or on stage where handling noise is an issue.
I don't use hardware HPFs because you could easily apply a filter in your software later on without being committed to it.

Do dynamic mics really give the quality of the condensers?
They sound and react differently but they are absolutely viable recording studio tools.
The whole 'dynamic mics are just for live use' thing is a myth.

If you're getting a 58 anyway I'd hold off on other mics until you've tried the 58 on a few recordings.
You never know. ;)

Hope that helps.

Thanks Stenamaroo, the dilemma still lies. I'ld get the SM58 ... but that would be a year from now if I get the condensers :). Anyways, I think I almost made up my mind to get a condenser. So out of the lot.. which one would be your pick?

One more qs - The AKG Perception 120 - is it a small or a large diaphragm condenser? I just see 2/3'' .. not sure what that means.

The fact that its now available almost 50% the price of AT2020, which took my attention. Is it worth buying, as long as its comparable to the 2020 or 2035's?

Hi Stenamaroo,

Thanks for the suggestion.. the more reviews you read, the more confusing it becomes at times :D :P.
Are the Samson ones any good? say C01, C03? Should I be really considering the multi-pattern ... given that I'll be only using it for vocals?

Samson C01s are very good for the price. I have used mine for some silly rap tunes and on a female singer. Sounded really good on both. I usually use dynamics but the samson has its own tone. I would get the 58 and if it doesnt sound good in the studio get something else. I am selling my C01 in order to pay for a VT bass deluxe. The lil C01 will be missed though.

@Arcaxis
I prefer the V67G for my vocals (deeper voice)

Thanks for this, indeed gave a new dimension to my searches.. and yeah someting to add to the confusion!:D. I heard those videos, and read reviews... indeed I see people recommending them. Apart from the warm/bright switches, are there major differences in terms of sound in the V67G and V67I? One other qs, would you recommend it over the Studio Projects B1, just in case you have used the B1's? After continuing my research, I had more or less finalized on the B1's, until I saw your post :).

@ JG96's: Well I myself asked about the Samsons, but I think I'll fight it out between Studio Projects B1, AT2035 or the new MXL 67G :). Some people complained of the harsh high peaks of Samson. And my recording room wouldnt be as sound proof as the real studios.

I do not have any personal experience with any of those mics but I'm sure they are all comparable/better than the C01. Glad you can treat your room, I would do the same. IF I HAD A ROOM! :D Just found a funny picture of a 2035: med_gallery_2590_118_910372.jpg

Back