Toontrack EZKEys

famous beagle

I did a search and didn't see too much come up for this product, so I just wanted to give my resounding endorsement for it. I think it's an absolutely awesome product. I've been an EZDrummer user for years, but I just had the chance to try out EZKeys, and I'm completely floored by it. Not only are the sounds completely amazing, but it's incredibly intuitive and is filled with a lot of very cool features. I highly, highly recommend it if you're looking for any piano/electric piano sounds! :)

XLN Addictive Keys is also really sweet (I also have EZKeys). I have the Concert Grand and the Upright. The sounds are really impressive but the options are phenomenal---it's like having dozens of different grands or uprights.

Paj
8^)

Speaking of Toontrack...they just sent out a web discount code for an additional 20% off on top of any holiday sales prices they currently have on some of their stuff.
It's not advertised on their website...they only sent it in email.

You need to add this coupon code after you add items to your cart:

ttexclusive20discount

They piss me off though, 'cuz the only thing I wanted from them at this time was their Southern Soul EZX...and that's one of the few items that are not on sale....so the 20% off is meaningless, 'cuz at $89 it comes down to $72...but I can already get it for $67 on eBay. :facepalm: :D

I'm hoping that Audio Deluxe honors the 20% code, as they often do...since they have the Southern Soul EZX for $79, and the 20% off would get it down to about $64.

It's not that I can't afford their price...I just refuse to pay full price for any of their stuff since they ALWAYS discount it at some point...they're just holding out 'cuz this EZX and a few other items are relatively new...but eventually it will be on sale too.

With the EZKeys...is there are "baseline" application that you need to buy first?
It's like...they refer to everything on the site as "expansion packs".

Like....if you just buy the Studio Grand (or any others)...is everything included in that pack?

It's even more confusing when I look at online pricing....like some places have Grand Piano for $79 other places sell it for $149...and it's not just that one, it's like that with the other EZKeys packs...so it makes me wonder are there "full" versions and "expansion" versions of the same thing...???

With the drum software...it's clear that you need either EZD2 or SD...and the rest ARE just expansion packs.

Miroslav,

As far as I can tell, it's different packaging than EZDrummer, Superior Drummer, EZX and SDX packages---the player plugin and stand-alone is part of the package when you buy the instrument. The product descriptions mention the included player and stand-alone, along with the modeled instrument(s) included. I just have the Retro Electrics package (Hohner pianet and D6 Clavinet). I got it at a ridiculously low sale price so don't be surprised at price differences. I do like the drag-and-drop MIDI window, intuitive interface, the sounds seem to be true to the original, not as many initial presets/variations as Addictive Keys (but you can save your own tweaked presets), the tonal adjustments are nothing out of the ordinary but they are straight-forward and effective, and latency seems to be low. Honestly, it is a recent purchase so everything I've said is cursory; hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

Paj
8^)

It appears there are two versions, two prices.

Look at this:
Search | AudioDeluxe

You can see that they show two listings per title. One is the full version and the other is just the expansion sound library.

It appears there are two versions, two prices.

Look at this:
Search | AudioDeluxe

You can see that they show two listings per title. One is the full version and the other is just the expansion sound library.

Yes, the first EZKeys title you buy will be $149-$179, depending on where you buy it (MF has it for $149), and that would be for the software and any one of the keys titles you want. From then on, you can add expansions to it for $79 or $89 a pop. Each EZKeys title is available as either a regular version (for your first EZKeys purchase) or an expansion version (for any subsequent purchase). So it is a lot like the EZDrummer platform. The only difference is that you get to choose which specific keyboard model you'd like to start with, as opposed to EZDrummer, in which you have to start with their basic model first (which includes modern and vintage kits, each with a dozen different presets or so). So it's actually a better model, IMO, because you can buy exactly what you want and nothing else if you don't need it.

Of course, they also run specials all the time like you said. Right now they have a free expansion kit on EZKeys when you buy a regular title.

OK...thanks.
That's what I figured...there had to be a "player" involved.

I have some other piano samples from UVI, and some with my DAW...the usual MIDI setup, and you just dial through the samples. I use my external MIDI keyboard to play the parts.
I was interested in Toontrack's Studio Grand but I figured it wasn't like other MIDI samples...that you needed their player to make it all work.

Hmm, that must've changed recently. Toontrack's own website used to say that each ezkeys was a self-contained package of the player and the instrument. When I bought the acoustic pianos and the classic electrics, there was no option for a full or instrument-only download. There was just the one price.

Hmm, that must've changed recently. Toontrack's own website used to say that each ezkeys was a self-contained package of the player and the instrument. When I bought the acoustic pianos and the classic electrics, there was no option for a full or instrument-only download. There was just the one price.

Oh, wow, that's strange. I mean ... it's not strange that each was its on instrument, but it's strange that they weren't also offered as an expansion pack, because that's paying for more than you need.

You know...the Toontrack website doesn't really do a good job of explaining the two options.

If you look at this page: https://www.toontrack.com/ezkeys-line/
There is the mention of expansion packs, but no real effort to show any distinction between them and full versions.

Then, if you pick any one of the EXKeys pack off that page: EZkeys Classic Electrics | Toontrack
The full version price comes up, and you would have to know to change the "Product Variant" from "Regular" to "Sound Expansion", and then the price changes...but of course, you don't see it unless you choose it, and you may not choose it, 'cuz you don't see it. :)

I get a feeling they did that on purpose.
I mean, they could easily have shown both versions and both prices on the page without you having to switch the "Product Variant".

That said...if you scroll all the way down to the second page I posted...there is this comment:
"Already got another EZkeys?
Congratulations, from now on you can purchase any other title at a discount. Log in, find your new EZkeys and select the “Sound Expansion” option before you proceed to checkout."

So it does seem like this was a recent change...again, they could explain that at the top, with the pricing differences both clearly shown.

That said...if you scroll all the way down to the second page I posted...there is this comment:
"Already got another EZkeys?
Congratulations, from now on you can purchase any other title at a discount. Log in, find your new EZkeys and select the “Sound Expansion” option before you proceed to checkout."

So it does seem like this was a recent change...again, they could explain that at the top, with the pricing differences both clearly shown.

Oh, yeah ... with "from now on" in there, it definitely seems like a new thing. I'm the kind of person that always reads everything front to back before I make a move, so I definitely saw that sentence (about being able to buy expansion kits), but you're right that it's not exactly front and center.

Good stuff to know. Sometimes their expansions are offered at really low sale prices---and maybe they'll be compatible if they come out with Superior Keys.

Paj
8^)

Back