Too much bass in my mix

punkin

Univalve & Avatar Speaks
Hello all,

I've moved into a new home and thus a new mixing room and I'm finding that when I play my mixes in places other than my studio, it sounds too boomy...too much bass. I don't hear this when I'm mixing. I mix and tweak till it sounds good but then when I play it back on the home stereo and/or the car stereo it sounds to boomy. I didn't have this issue in my last place...things were pretty neutral.

What is this telling me of my mixing room? More traps would suck out more bass and then my mixes would sound even worse. As this is a new place I haven't set up any sound treatments yet.

Thanks

Hello all,

I've moved into a new home and thus a new mixing room and I'm finding that when I play my mixes in places other than my studio, it sounds too boomy...too much bass. I don't hear this when I'm mixing. I mix and tweak till it sounds good but then when I play it back on the home stereo and/or the car stereo it sounds to boomy. I didn't have this issue in my last place...things were pretty neutral.

What is this telling me of my mixing room? More traps would suck out more bass and then my mixes would sound even worse. As this is a new place I haven't set up any sound treatments yet.

Thanks

Sounds like ya need to tune da room. ;)

"More traps would suck out more bass and then my mixes would sound even worse"....it seems like this would be the case but actually, it's just the opposite.

More trapping would just tame the bass waves from bouncing around and stomping shit out of the other frequencies. With those strong assed bass waves mellowed out, you'll be able to hear what's really goin on in the mix.

Know what I mean?
maybe not cuz I'm not real good at explaining stuff. :o

What I DO know is that I was in the same boat as you. My goodz sounded good in my room but as soon as I burned it and put em in my truck or home stereo they were bass heavy and muddy.

Wish I woulda started with good monitors and a treated room. I think I woulda saved a lot of frustration and wasted "coffee cup coasters" :)

More traps would suck out more bass

No, bass traps don't suck out the bass so much as they tame it and even it out. You could be sitting in a null, which bass traps would eliminate.

I'm assuming we're talking about proper bass traps. What kind of bass traps do you have, how many, and where are they placed? Where in the room are you sitting? Where are your speakers located? All these things are important.

Also, maybe your mixes don't sound as bad as you think. Cars will always sound boomier, simply because you're sitting in a small box. If you compare your song at home and in the car, it's normal that it will be boomier. Make sure your tunes sound boomier than other artists' CD's in the car.

If you play a well recorded "big time" CD of the type of music you're doing does it sound thin and like it has needs bass?

If it does, then your room, monitors etc... something in your system needs work.

Back