Toft ATC-2

wes480

wow, this looks like a sweet piece of gear. Esp. to have a preamp/compressor/eq all in one, dual channel...and Richard Monroe said somewhere it was supposed to be like $1300...

Anxious to hear how this thing sounds. At that price it's giving you a lot more than an MP1NV, just a touch less than the Grace 2 channel unit that is like $1500...

wonder how they all stack up.

http://www.toftaudiodesigns.com/atc2.html

I wonder how this preamp compares to it...just minus the compressor...but hell for 800 bucks...

http://www.toftaudiodesigns.com/afc2.html

manufactured by PMI audio - interesting. anyone give me a good scoop on these?

I wonder how that AFC-2 (the 800 dollar one) would compare to an RNP.

Well we'll all know very soon. I seriously considered the Toft as a clean dual channel strip. Unfortunately, the first ones would have been ready to ship in about 4 weeks. That was about 3 weeks ago. My production schedule said I needed a good pre *now*, and I wound up with an Avalon. I suppose I'll get by-LOL.
I spoke with Alan and got some email from Malcolm Toft. The design of the pres themselves is apparently a transformerless fast slew design similar to the Grace. But if you think about it, SP's experience with optocompressors is influenced by the Joemeek designs. Imagine a dual channel strip that's a pair of Grace 101's, with nice analog needles. Click! You turn on the optocompressor, and it's a twinQ! Then throw in 3 band EQ. Gimme!!-Richie

Richard Monroe said:
SP's experience with optocompressors is influenced by the Joemeek designs. Imagine a dual channel strip that's a pair of Grace 101's, with nice analog needles. Click! You turn on the optocompressor, and it's a twinQ! Then throw in 3 band EQ. Gimme!!-Richie

Actually, the ATC-2 is a F.E.T. Compressor much like the 1176. The F.E.T. is a colored device as well, but really agressive and freakin fast...almost too fast where you have to slow it down on most things, but real usable.

The mic amp is wonderful all on its own. Add in the Malcolm Toft EQ and you will think your in heaven. We jsut got the first production units in for test, so three more weeks or so and we will have 50 units. Well worth checking out for only $999.99 street....

wes480 said:
999...nice. sounds much more attractive than an MP1NV.

Well, again, it is a different box, but it is my opinion that this unit is not just a Jack of all trades when it comes to multi-function channels strips. I believe each of its functions is a master, but that is my opinion. Time will tell soon enough, but I am confident.

Back