Today Is Gonna Be My Day

I finally got the file of the everything tuned and centered version to down load. Good song, very clean guitar. I see what you mean about the vocals and the harmonies being out. It just takes a little tweaking, I'm sure you will get it sorted out. I'm looking forward to hearing the final version.

Is this the first you realized you had unknowingly written a song about the "West Memphis 3" murders from the perspective of the one kid who didn't die from drowning?

^Just kidding around, sort of.

I have to admit, when I listened and for some reason my mind went left field to tragedy, and murder, I questioned my own sanity. When I asked your motivation for the lyric content and you said you were inspired by a song written about the serial killer John Wayne Gacy, I questioned both our sanity. About fell off my chair. But seriously, that has to be among the most if not the most weird exchanges I have ever witnessed here @ HR dot com. Still a bit of a challenge to wrap my head around.

The lo-fi version is not bad, it's different, but i'm undecided which of the other two I prefer. Which either, options are cool. It was nice of Jimmy to do that for you.

Is this the first you realized you had unknowingly written a song about the "West Memphis 3" murders from the perspective of the one kid who didn't die from drowning?

^Just kidding around, sort of.

I have to admit, when I listened and for some reason my mind went left field to tragedy, and murder, I questioned my own sanity. When I asked your motivation for the lyric content and you said you were inspired by a song written about the serial killer John Wayne Gacy, I questioned both our sanity. About fell off my chair. But seriously, that has to be among the most if not the most weird exchanges I have ever witnessed here @ HR dot com. Still a bit of a challenge to wrap my head around.

The lo-fi version is not bad, it's different, but i'm undecided which of the other two I prefer. Which either, options are cool. It was nice of Jimmy to do that for you.
Haha we’re all a little bit insane 🤪

And yeah, thanks @jimmys69 !

@Mick Doobie I might rename this song to ”The Tragedy from the West Memphis Three” after some thought. Yeah, it wasn’t initially about it lmao. But it fits well and it’s a better title. Sorta like ”The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carol” and that sorta thing. Don’t know if it’s in bad taste, though.

@Mick Doobie I might rename this song to ”The Tragedy from the West Memphis Three” after some thought. Yeah, it wasn’t initially about it lmao. But it fits well and it’s a better title. Sorta like ”The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carol” and that sorta thing. Don’t know if it’s in bad taste, though.

Did you ever see any of the documentaries? A very sad and odd case. The "West Memphis Three" is a reference not to the children killed, but rather to the 3 teenagers accused of the murders. They were in some senses railroaded by a corrupt local justice system. The documentary filmmakers got involved in a not so veiled effort to expose the corruption, exonerate the teens, and suggest other more likely suspects. A lot of celebrities and "rock stars" joined in the effort. I forget how long they spent in prison, but they were eventually released. Some people still believe they are guilty of killing those three kids. I believe it to be true that there is such a thing as a false confession. However, I am personally unconvinced and undecided whether the teens committed the murders or not.

I confess this whole thing kind of creeped me out. One, I could see myself in those kids. We used to do that, jump on our bikes in the morning and not return home until dark. In between explore the world around us, woods, creeks, lakes. Just normal kid stuff, but evil exists. Two, I have no idea why when listening to your song my mind went to murder, of children. Specifically those murders. I played it for a few other people without revealing my own thoughts, none thought murder. Sad, yes, murder, no. What do I see in your song? I see tragedy. Graphic warning---> The one kid watches as his two friends are hogtied and submerged in the water. The innocence of a child, "please don't drown", his heart breaking in fright at the sight of it all, "with a crack in my heart". Simple yet good line, btw. "We start"? The murderer(s) then set their sights on him. He was the only one who didn't drown, he died of "injuries". His genitals were mutilated, but there is still dispute with regard to those injuries, it could have been post mortem by wildlife, animals. In the morning the cries were so loud as they were laid in the sun, sounds like a funeral to me.

Yeah, that's crazy that is what I heard in your song. Perhaps equally crazy, when I asked the motivation for the lyrics you said from a song written about the serial killer John Wayne Gacy. I seriously about fell off my chair, totally blew my mind.

With Dylan's The Lonesome Death of Hattie Caroll there is no ambiguity to the lyrics, you don't need the title to understand the song. With your song, i'm not sure the title should be so direct. I mean, for one, that's a very disturbing tragedy. It might/would turn some off. For me, when I hear it that is what I think about, and I don't want to think about something like that. It is uncomfortably sad. Perhaps suggest and let those with ears to hear figure it out? I can't come up with anything good at the moment....Memphis Lament?....Six In, Three Out?....From 6 Comes 3? None of those are good, but you get the idea.

Apologies for the long post. It's your song and decision to make. As to whether it is bad taste, the lyrics aren't exploitative, they are sympathetic to the subject matter.

Did you ever see any of the documentaries? A very sad and odd case. The "West Memphis Three" is a reference not to the children killed, but rather to the 3 teenagers accused of the murders. They were in some senses railroaded by a corrupt local justice system. The documentary filmmakers got involved in a not so veiled effort to expose the corruption, exonerate the teens, and suggest other more likely suspects. A lot of celebrities and "rock stars" joined in the effort. I forget how long they spent in prison, but they were eventually released. Some people still believe they are guilty of killing those three kids. I believe it to be true that there is such a thing as a false confession. However, I am personally unconvinced and undecided whether the teens committed the murders or not.

I confess this whole thing kind of creeped me out. One, I could see myself in those kids. We used to do that, jump on our bikes in the morning and not return home until dark. In between explore the world around us, woods, creeks, lakes. Just normal kid stuff, but evil exists. Two, I have no idea why when listening to your song my mind went to murder, of children. Specifically those murders. I played it for a few other people without revealing my own thoughts, none thought murder. Sad, yes, murder, no. What do I see in your song? I see tragedy. Graphic warning---> The one kid watches as his two friends are hogtied and submerged in the water. The innocence of a child, "please don't drown", his heart breaking in fright at the sight of it all, "with a crack in my heart". Simple yet good line, btw. "We start"? The murderer(s) then set their sights on him. He was the only one who didn't drown, he died of "injuries". His genitals were mutilated, but there is still dispute with regard to those injuries, it could have been post mortem by wildlife, animals. In the morning the cries were so loud as they were laid in the sun, sounds like a funeral to me.

Yeah, that's crazy that is what I heard in your song. Perhaps equally crazy, when I asked the motivation for the lyrics you said from a song written about the serial killer John Wayne Gacy. I seriously about fell off my chair, totally blew my mind.

With Dylan's The Lonesome Death of Hattie Caroll there is no ambiguity to the lyrics, you don't need the title to understand the song. With your song, i'm not sure the title should be so direct. I mean, for one, that's a very disturbing tragedy. It might/would turn some off. For me, when I hear it that is what I think about, and I don't want to think about something like that. It is uncomfortably sad. Perhaps suggest and let those with ears to hear figure it out? I can't come up with anything good at the moment....Memphis Lament?....Six In, Three Out?....From 6 Comes 3? None of those are good, but you get the idea.

Apologies for the long post. It's your song and decision to make. As to whether it is bad taste, the lyrics aren't exploitative, they are sympathetic to the subject matter.
Yeah I’ve read about it a lot since you’ve posted about it. And that’s true about Dylan’s song. Memphis lament is not a bad idea!

I don't know, I just threw that out there. To me a lamentation is maybe a bit more drawn out, a hymn of sorts, possibly. Yours stands well on its own, short. There are some lines I can't quite make out, but whoever the narrator or whatever he might have gone through seems to be offering comfort, "tell them it's okay"? In some way or another at some point it's going to be all our day, and as the saying goes we'll be in a better place. Hey, in that sense it's a positive song! Of course that might require a belief in an afterlife. Some believe, some don't. But putting that aside, and cremation, we'll all get our day to be laid in the sun.

I hope you don't take it the wrong way, but in a world of over assertiveness, you have a unique vocal delivery, a vulnerability. Don't lose that. My only suggestion, with the lower harmony when you say "we fall" it sounds as if the lower harmony is singing unison with the main vocal. Drop that harmony note(s) rather than singing unison, or try it so see how if it works. I think it will.

Good song though, young man. Keep it up.

I don't know, I just threw that out there. To me a lamentation is maybe a bit more drawn out, a hymn of sorts, possibly. Yours stands well on its own, short. There are some lines I can't quite make out, but whoever the narrator or whatever he might have gone through seems to be offering comfort, "tell them it's okay"? In some way or another at some point it's going to be all our day, and as the saying goes we'll be in a better place. Hey, in that sense it's a positive song! Of course that might require a belief in an afterlife. Some believe, some don't. But putting that aside, and cremation, we'll all get our day to be laid in the sun.

I hope you don't take it the wrong way, but in a world of over assertiveness, you have a unique vocal delivery, a vulnerability. Don't lose that. My only suggestion, with the lower harmony when you say "we fall" it sounds as if the lower harmony is singing unison with the main vocal. Drop that harmony note(s) rather than singing unison, or try it so see how if it works. I think it will.

Good song though, young man. Keep it up.
Thanks Mick. I actually just finished another song I’m proud of. A friend did cello on it. I’ll probably post it later today. It’s a typical heartbreak/love song though lol

Back