To anti-virus or not to anti-virus, that is the question.

johnnynoony

Hi Guys-
Thanks for all the great help. I know it seems like an absurd question but a lot of these new audio computer manufacturers suggest against using virus protection. I just read the FAQ at www.rainrecording.com that suggests against it completely as it is to processor intensive and causes too many issues on PC recording in general. It seems pretty risky to me but I suppose if you take all the necessary precautions and only use the internet when updating, etc. Although that is impractical for most people- me included. I am doing a clean install of XP as we speak and just wanted to get your opinions. Thanks again for all the help.

Dave

Most people dont connect their daws to the outside world whatsoever.
Mine is connected, and i do not run a virus scanner. I'm still here, aren't I?

I've never had virus problems.

I use my computer for both net and recording. I have antivirus. I disable the antivirus and internet connection before any critical recording.

If your PC connects to the outside world, two things you DO NOT WANT TO BE WITHOUT. One is AntiVirus, and Norton is a good one. The other is Microsoft AntiSpam. You can disable either when needed. Set both for weekly scans.

Ed

Ed Dixon said:
If your PC connects to the outside world, two things you DO NOT WANT TO BE WITHOUT. One is AntiVirus, and Norton is a good one. The other is Microsoft AntiSpam. You can disable either when needed. Set both for weekly scans.

Ed
...and a third is a means to back your data up, and the discipline to do it.

Ed Dixon said:

Ed

Norton and McAfee are overrated. There is no need to have to dish over money year after year for software.

Use AVG Free for your anti-virus and download the free version of Ad-Aware for Spyware protection.

I use AntiVir, Ad-Aware, SpyBlaster and SpyBot, all free, and I've never had processor issues.

If you were running a 500MHz machine with 128MB RAM, you might run out of gas.

Thanks so much guys. I'll download the AVG since I've heard good things about it and I'll use all your suggestions, thanks for letting me know about those spyware programs. I haven't heard of Ewido but Adaware and spybot have been great and they seem to pickup stuff Microsoft anti-spyware doesn't get (and they are all free). Is it best to keep all this stuff shut off during the installation of all my audio programs, etc? Thanks again.

Dave

p.s. Anyone with an Nvidia graphics card beware when re-installing as I had a problem with one of their device drivers last night that caused my system to crash (nv4_disp.dll). I removed all drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled the card, and downloaded the newest drivers and that seems to have fixed the problem:

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=d61fc083-570f-46ed-a994-df227d4b5f5c&SID=271

Back