To amp or not to amp?

Alexbt

Hi all,

Situation is this:

Song where I'm playing a lead-type synthesizer patch. For that kind of thing, is it more typical to DI out of the keyboard, or mic an amp? (This would require lugging of my huge amp down the stairs. :P)

Opinions welcomed.

Thanks,

Alex

Alexbt said:
Hi all,

Situation is this:

Song where I'm playing a lead-type synthesizer patch. For that kind of thing, is it more typical to DI out of the keyboard, or mic an amp? (This would require lugging of my huge amp down the stairs. :P)

Opinions welcomed.
No rule there, it depends on how you want it to sound.

Probably more often than not synths are recorded direct because the patch is not for a sound where its "natural" for folks to hear it amped (like it is for electric guitar, for example.). Not many classic Mini-Moog patches have been amped, for example ;) (not that it couldn't be.)

But if you want it to sound as though it's going through an amp, then do it. If you have a patch that is somewhere in the Wurlitzer/Rhodes/Farfisa realm, driving it through a git amp could definitely give it a real roots sound. Or who knows, you may have a composition where a grunge Mini-Moog run through a Pignose might actually be the Next New Sound. If David Mead can put a fuzztone behind his acoustic guitar and make it work, anything is possible! :D.

G.

True that. It is a Moog-type sound for sure.
I think I will play around with DI and through my brother's smaller Fender amp to see what sits better.

I honestly had no idea if the stuff I've been listening to has been amped or not.

Back