TLM 103 neuman

c7sus said:
I hear ya.

But pineapples DO blow mangos away! :D

See, that's the thing. Some people are kind of telling you that. They don't mean in general, they are just going by the only thing they could possibly know-their opinion of their experience with it, and that is different for EVERYONE.

Some people really do think that bananas absolutely destroy apples, and that there would be no point to ever buying apples so long as you can still get bananas. That's their opinion of which one tastes better, considering their experience with eating them.

I don't think that makes asking questions like this pointless, though. You still usually learn something from it. You just shouldn't ask if one mic is 'just better' than another, because that is basically looking for a factual response, when the responses can only come in the form of opinions.

FWIW Al Schmitt thinks VERY highly of the TLM, although I bet he's not using a DMP3. :)

Ronan, just curious, did you ever try the SP T3?

Chris

c7sus said:
But pineapples DO blow mangos away! :D
OneArmedScissor,

I think you're missing the point here. Pineapples DO blow mangos away! Literally. You see, there has been this long standing war between these two fruits and, right now, the pineapples seem to have the upper hand.

It's really not fair, though. For pineapples are bigger...and they do have that natural armour, of sorts...

And mangos, well...they're just too nice to be real killers, and...

(Sorry. I'll stop now...)

Actually come to think of it...for vocals etc. I would probably prefer to have a TLM193 over the 103. The 193 is pretty smooth and has a silky top end for voice.

War

chessparov said:
Ronan, just curious, did you ever try the SP T3?

Not yet, but I wanna check it out some time. I did shoot out with the B3 and some other mics and was very underwhelmed by the B3.

Warhead said:
Actually come to think of it...for vocals etc. I would probably prefer to have a TLM193 over the 103. The 193 is pretty smooth and has a silky top end for voice.

War
Hi War... I've never heard/used the TLM193, but for some reason (and I don't remember why) I've been under the impression that the TLM193 could be though of as the TLM103's big brother... meaning, in ways they sound kind of similar, yet unique but with a TLM type signature… what do you think? Oh, and aren't all the Neumann TLM series mics transformerless?

Last edited:
Ronan? You did a shoot out with the B3 with other mikes and was underwhelmed? Well, condeming Studio Projects based on one mike. And I think your credibility lies...uncredible.

This is an interesting thread and for me a very useful one.
I am a hobby-studio owner who is looking to make the leap from the inexpensive Chinese mics (MXL V67G) and Australian mics (NT1) to something a lot better (and higher in mic class). I have to admit that I had been somewhat charmed with the idea of owning a Neumann mic and Guitar Center has the TLM 103 on sale for $989 and I can spread that out interest free for a year. I still want to sit down and audition them and other mics with my current mic pre (DMP3) but I had somewhat convinced myself that I would like the Neumann mics better. The main purpose for my next mic will be recording my voice and acoustic guitars. (Currently I am using two Oktava MK-012s for acoustics – a Taylor 12-string and a Norman 6-string.) This thread has given me a few more mics to consider. The KSM44 was on my list to audition but now I have added the At 4060 and the Microtech Gefell M930.

Thanks,

John

I don't care for the TLM103 as compared to its price..to me it has a harsher to top end...'spose when it works though..The KSM44,AT4060 are more useful on a variety of sources to me..The KSM can sound pretty darn good when you go thru a Great River or the like..It takes the personality of different pres well{if that makes any sence}..I've never though of the KSM as brassy..Different strokes :)

Interesting post Henri. Ina test on my voice with cheaper (Mackie) pres, the TLM103 sounded more natural and noticeably less 'attituded' then the Shure. Primarily a classical guy, natural is what I'm all about:)

A friend put me onto these MBHO mics...anyone heard of them/have them? They look really interesting, but lack the seemingly requisite BBS marketing hype :cool:

krs said:
Interesting post Henri. Ina test on my voice with cheaper (Mackie) pres, the TLM103 sounded more natural and noticeably less 'attituded' then the Shure. Primarily a classical guy, natural is what I'm all about:)

A friend put me onto these MBHO mics...anyone heard of them/have them? They look really interesting, but lack the seemingly requisite BBS marketing hype :cool:

Perhaps the TLM is a good pairing for your voice w/the Mackie vers. the KSM44..Nothing is is the perfect solution for all things..Voice is the tuffest thing to get{IMHO}just right and it changes ever so slightly day to day..If the TLM works for ya then go for it!Good luck :)

My suggestion…
Before throwing $1000 at a mic just because it’s on sale at GC, invest $45 in this CD:
http://www.3daudioinc.com/mics.html

No, it’s not the definitive answer to all things, but it’s a great resource for answering these type of questions. All of the mentioned mics are on here in both male and female versions. I can’t post samples because it would violate copyright laws and such, but I can give my humble opinions based on listening to the CD –

First a word about the vocals. The female vocal is a very pleasant, middle of the road voice – not a soprano, but not an alto either. Somewhere in the middle. Silky smooth, too. The male voice is also middle of the road pitch wise, but very, very raspy. I keep wanting him to clear his throat. At first listen, I wondered why they would use a voice like this for a mic demo, but the more I study it, I realize it’s a great contrast to the female vocal. What sounds good on him doesn’t usually sound good on her and vice-versa.
Now the mics…
The TLM 103 is lifeless on the female vocal, but sounds decent on the male vocal – not great, mind you, but very useable. The Gefell, on the other hand, was just opposite – sounded very good on female but was kind of thin on the male (I know this probably doesn’t make sense, but that’s the way it sounds). The KSM44 sounded great on both as did the AT4060, with the KSM44 being a little darker (certainly not brassy) and the AT4060 having a little more (very smooth!) highs while maintaining a slightly clearer low end. Of the mics mentioned and based on this CD, I’d beg, borrow, or steal to get an AT4060. If not that, I’d go for the KSM44.

DJL said:
Hi War... I've never heard/used the TLM193, but for some reason (and I don't remember why) I've been under the impression that the TLM193 could be though of as the TLM103's big brother... meaning, in ways they sound kind of similar, yet unique but with a TLM type signature… what do you think? Oh, and aren't all the Neumann TLM series mics transformerless?

DJL, I'm no expert in Neumann mics. My friend with a pro studio has both of these models and I've had some limited experience with them both.

But doesn't "TLM" stand for Transformer-Less Microphone?

The top end of the 103 is bright and open, quite nice on acoustic guitars and many voices, percussion etc.

But for voice work, for the most part I think the 193 would be a better fit. I like the silky high end, not as bright as the 103 either.

The 103 has the same capsule as the U87, so you're getting something similar to a U87 in cardioid pattern with the 103. It's certainly a useful mic and could be considered a workhorse.

Good mics to have if you want to have that Neumann name in the studio! I'm probably going to pick up a TLM193 in the near-ish future for vocal use as it's a cool flavor to have. Luckily I have a connection with a distributor for Neumann and can get a dilly-yo...

War

Warhead said:
DJL, I'm no expert in Neumann mics. My friend with a pro studio has both of these models and I've had some limited experience with them both.

But doesn't "TLM" stand for Transformer-Less Microphone?

The top end of the 103 is bright and open, quite nice on acoustic guitars and many voices, percussion etc.

But for voice work, for the most part I think the 193 would be a better fit. I like the silky high end, not as bright as the 103 either.

The 103 has the same capsule as the U87, so you're getting something similar to a U87 in cardioid pattern with the 103. It's certainly a useful mic and could be considered a workhorse.

Good mics to have if you want to have that Neumann name in the studio! I'm probably going to pick up a TLM193 in the near-ish future for vocal use as it's a cool flavor to have. Luckily I have a connection with a distributor for Neumann and can get a dilly-yo...

War
Thanks War. The only Neumann TLM series mic I own is the TLM103. I was just curious if the TLM series mics had kind of a TLM type signature sound or not... anyway, thanks. :)

Bodhisan said:
Ronan? You did a shoot out with the B3 with other mikes and was underwhelmed? Well, condeming Studio Projects based on one mike. And I think your credibility lies...uncredible.

What on earth are you talking about? when did I condemn Studio Projects mics? My post said that I wanted to check out the T3.

Warhead said:
War

War,

Thanks for the info. I've heard a lot of people say that they were unhappy with the U87, and for the money, there were other choices that might make more sense. That could be true, but still, the U87 seems to be regarded as a time honored, pedigreed, and professional workhorse mic. I've always liked the sound of them (when I knew that they were used).
So, this leads to my personal experience...the TLM103. I consider it a wonderful mic to have around. When it is chosen for a track, the sound sits well in the mix. And, in my limited experience, it does have a "Neumann" sound.
No doubt there are other choices that may make more sense to someone. But if you want the sound of a TLM103, you pay for it. If you want the sound of a a U87, you pay for it. If you want the sound of a Soundelux195, you pay for it. If you want the sound of (insert your own here), you pay for it.
It's cool to hear that the 103 is in the same lineage as the 87.

Regards,
Terry

I have a pair of TLM 103's and a Studio Projects T3.
The 103's are great for a lot of stuff, I've even used it on vocals.
The T3 seems to excel at vocals though, especially female vocals.

But if I were looking for ONE good, all around vocal mike, in the $500 - $1000 range, I'd go for a Shure SM7 and save the balance.

Back