Titan missing submersible

It will be a great survivor tale if they find the craft, figure a way to transfer oxygen at 12,400 ft depth via drone, untangle the Titan from wreckage, and 5 survivors emerge

I believe in inner good of humanity so, IF they don’t make it out alive, I’d be hopeful if there is a
recording or diary account of last moments and the experience that it’s made known to the curious world

That's a bit macabre? Reading/listening to the mass media, they're not really understanding. They concentrate on air running out, but all the talk of air forgets heat and power. Having bad air, but no power means the temperature will probably have meant there is no speaking going on at all, sadly.

The "Thresher" in 1962 was probably the first news story that I really paid any attention to. The ocean depths are as dangerous as the depths of space. I don't
think they will be coming back alive.

It is similar to being lost somewhere up Mt. Everest, with the clock ticking.
Even finding the sub would be very difficult.
Freeing it fom being snagged, may be impossible.
Returning to the surface would take hours.
They may well have taken one too many risks.

It is similar to being lost somewhere up Mt. Everest, with the clock ticking.
Even finding the sub would be very difficult.
Freeing it fom being snagged, may be impossible.
Returning to the surface would take hours.
They may well have taken one too many risks.
I think unfortunately you’ve hit the nail on the head.

The "Thresher" in 1962 was probably the first news story that I really paid any attention to. The ocean depths are as dangerous as the depths of space. I don't
think they will be coming back alive.
I was 3 so no recollection however living 15 miles from the shipyard lots of local people knew someone, maybe once or twice removed, that was on that trip including my family. A close family friend was offered a spot but decided to stay ashore.

There seem to be some credible sources on big media about carbon fiber construction and an interesting commenter used an analogy of a phone book with layered pages eventually creating a strong whole using weaker individual parts to achieve the final strength. That’s nothing new, and boing 787 uses a carbon fiber fuselage and they seem to be not imploding but the main forces are on the inside pushing out in the tube

But with every flight and pressurization/depressurization cycle I wonder if that will eventually lead to a failure. I know expansion/contraction properties of traditional aluminum aircraft skin is somewhat forgiving and flexible enough to maintain structural integrity except for key structural points. I’m guessing carbon fiber is more rigid and less forgiving, but just a guess.

Last edited:
Either way, it was likely an instant implosion and would be sad if it wasn’t because of the different materials, combo carbon fiber for the cabin and titanium for the front and rear

Back