Tips on Making Heavy Rock Sound

unclehando

So im taking a break for creating vocal based tracks and focusing on songwriting. I felt like I did better before started to try and sing. This track is my true style; heavy, electronic rock sounds... any tips on the mixing?

If you want a rock sound, you're probably going to want at least some analog instruments: replace one or more of the synths with guitars, or use a more realistic sounding drum machine.

Yea i get what your saying. im not tryna make it sound real, I like the synthesized sound , im more thinking of how to make the production more tight and heavy, I will have to find an example

i dont listen to much stuff like this, I love some Motorpsycho tho

there is something about how the drums sound small in the mix. don't know how to explain it. im not good at music terms lmao. maybe some one else can. I gave a lot of cool analogue drum samples i can make them sound realistic but i feel like there is something else

Yeah Like VHS said get some kick and snare samples that are beefier or treat yours to fatten them up. Use distortion, like an old fuzz pedal to dirty up your synths.

I like using guitar amp and bass amp vst for my synths gives it nice cool distortion. that mixed with slight phasors and fl's sytrus random setting it creates prety cool humanize effects. i definitely need to work on mixing the drums thats always been something for me, interested in the way drums sound in rock music i listen to

If you want the song in the original post to sound bigger, double the main line (not midi, actually perform it, so you have two different performances) and pan them away from each other. Some of the trick is to get some sort of stereo spread while maintaining balance between the right and left. Much of the time that is done by doubling the rhythm guitar part to create a bed for the rest of the parts.

The drums in the triggerman video sound like it's mostly room mics, which is why they sound far away and don't have much presence. That will be hard to do with samples, since most samples are close miced. But you might have some luck shaving off some of the highs and lows to make them dull sounding and then use reverb.

thanks ill try. I always wondered how they some bands sounded like they had more guitars than they have guitarist. guess they are doubling up the rhythm guitar to thicken it up.
and your the "far away" sound, i think thats what im tryna get for a long time

Back