Tips for Getting the Most from Music Conferences

David Hooper

Conference call today, Friday 3/12.

4pm EASTERN

number - 831-600-1000
conference room - 14658

This is not our usual bridge line and seating is VERY limited...about 75 people. Call a couple of minutes early if you want to get in.

On this call, I'll be going over 20 tips for getting the most out of music conferences. Perfect to use for you guys hitting SXSW next week.

I appreciated the bit about ensuring high quality of contact with others rather than high volume (with respect to passing out cards, introducing yourself, et cetera). It doesn't make me any more inclined to attend a music conference, but a lot of this advice is easily applicable to the business outside of conferences.

Thanks,
Peter

Yeah, a lot of this is just basic networking stuff that works on a lot of levels.

Why wouldn't you want to attend a music conference?

Oh, a whole host of reasons...most of them have more to do with me than with the conferences. I have the patience of a three year old with a load in his pants. I think I would just get bored.

I did go to a trade show when I was living in San Francisco back in '98. Back then the only highlight was when my friend and I heard someone playing an impeccable rendition of a Stevie Wonder tune, only to walk into the next booth and find Stevie himself. Perhaps now that I have at least a whisper of a clue as to what I'm doing, I would find it much more interesting.

It's definitely a lot ot take in. And yes, it does help if you can pay attention.

To me, it's not like a Calculus class or something though. This is stuff that I really find interesting, so it's not like work.

I hope you guys will consider dropping in for our one-day thing. No cost, so that's a benefit. And it will only take a day out of your life, so if it's something that doesn't work for you, you won't be out a week like you would most conferences.

Hey, don't knock calculus class. Math was one of the few interesting components of my program at UM.

By the way, have you ever been told you sound remarkably like Ira Glass? I felt like I was listening to This American Life during the call.

David Hooper said:
It's definitely a lot ot take in. And yes, it does help if you can pay attention.

To me, it's not like a Calculus class or something though. This is stuff that I really find interesting, so it's not like work.

I hope you guys will consider dropping in for our one-day thing. No cost, so that's a benefit. And it will only take a day out of your life, so if it's something that doesn't work for you, you won't be out a week like you would most conferences.

Where are these 1 day things gunna be? Any near the Windsor/Detroit area?

- Tanlith -

leavings said:
By the way, have you ever been told you sound remarkably like Ira Glass? I felt like I was listening to This American Life during the call.

Don't know Ira Glass, but would like to check him out. Always interested in good speakers.

tanlith said:
Where are these 1 day things gunna be? Any near the Windsor/Detroit area?

YES! Right now, we're planning on Detroit as one of the markets we hit. Not sure on the date yet though. Sometime during the summer.

Nashville will be the big one though, so make it down if you can. We still have about 100 seats left. www.2nmc.com has info and I should have the actual program listed by the end of the week.

johneeeveee said:
... gonna have anything up here in the northwest?

No plans at this time, but you never know.

Right now, cities will be Nashville, St. Louis, Kansas City, Denver, and LA. Maybe Houston, Dallas, or Memphis.

BUT...if there is a songwriting organization or somebody we can work with to help with getting the word out and suggesting a venue.

johneeeveee said:
... maybe you and derek sivers could team up for something up here?

I'd love to. Talked to him just last week and I know that he's going to take some time off the road this year, so it would be a good excuse for us to come to him.

But...he's actually in LA now. CD Baby is still in Portland now.

www.1-record-deal-music-business.com/audio/ has some audio of Derek from 2NMC last year. Good advice, as always.

Back