Tips and Tricks for speakers for my basement

manuel_vdn

I bought a Mackie Vlz 1402 as PA-console for my new studio/rehearsal space in the basement. Its main goal is amping up the mics and my synth for rehearsals + I also want to be able to play songs through bluetooth (which I probably will be doing by hooking up my old cd-player to it which has bluetooth).

I don't have speakers yet. So here's where I can use some advice. Ideal it would be a set with 2 speakers and 2 stands to put the speaker high up, but I'm wondering what speakers are best for my room since it's not that big. And what specs I should keep in mind.

The dimensions of my room are:
Width: 349 cm (137 inches)
Length: 680 cm (267 inches)
Height: 210 cm (83 inches)

Hi Manuel and welcome. Do you intend to use the speakers as monitors for mixes of recordings? If so that causes something of a problem. You see, speakers that are suitable for vocal PA and the reproduction of synths (bass guitar?) are built for a punchy sound and high power capability. OK, your room is not that big but you can soon run out of volume headroom.

Speakers designed for critical listening for mixing, i.e 'monitors' generally have lower sound level capabilities but should deliver an accurate 'hi fi' sound. There ARE PA speakers that do loud AND high quality as there are quaity monitors that go loud but both systems are very expensive.

If you main interest at the moment is to play music and have fun I suggest you buy a pair of modest activePA speakers. 10" woofers will be fine. If you want to get into recording seriously, that is the time to look at monitors. You can use good quality headphones to a large degree though they will never sound like the live music.

We also need a budget!

Dave.

Hi Manuel and welcome. Do you intend to use the speakers as monitors for mixes of recordings? If so that causes something of a problem. You see, speakers that are suitable for vocal PA and the reproduction of synths (bass guitar?) are built for a punchy sound and high power capability. OK, your room is not that big but you can soon run out of volume headroom.

Speakers designed for critical listening for mixing, i.e 'monitors' generally have lower sound level capabilities but should deliver an accurate 'hi fi' sound. There ARE PA speakers that do loud AND high quality as there are quaity monitors that go loud but both systems are very expensive.

If you main interest at the moment is to play music and have fun I suggest you buy a pair of modest activePA speakers. 10" woofers will be fine. If you want to get into recording seriously, that is the time to look at monitors. You can use good quality headphones to a large degree though they will never sound like the live music.

We also need a budget!

Dave.
It's purely for rehearsing live with my bands. In the other room I do have monitors (Yamaha HS 7's) hooked up on my audio interface for recording. I should've made that clearer.

Doesn't have to be world-class speakers though. The only things is we tend to play rather loud, so they should go loud enough without feeding back (but I guess that depends more on positioning of the mics and your faders/gain settings instead of the speaker itself. Or am I wrong and are some speakers better for this than others?

Don't want to go too much over €500 but I can if it's really necessary. Also don't mind looking for something used instead of brand new. So specs that I should be looking for are more interesting than one product. So 'modest activePA speakers. 10" woofers' (like you said) is the kind of information I'm looking for.

Thanks a lot!

I shall have a wade through some Sound on Sound back issues for you. Probably the best bet would be one of the relatively new (v old!) line source systems with sib woofers but, IIRC they start at around £500 each.

You are right in saying that microphone feedback will be the limiting factor in such a small space . You will need to practically 'eat' the mic to get sufficient 'gain before ring'. You could try the old dodge of wiring two identical mics out of phase to create a noise cancelling mic. You might even consider a headtset with a NC mic.?

Some PA rigs have a feedback suppression system built in or you can get stand alone rack units (Behringer are sure to make one!) but again, costs more.

Forgot! Load that space with lots of sound absorbent material, old sofas, duvets heavy curtains, especially BEHIND the mics and on the wall front of the speakers.

Dave.

This is out of your geographical area, but a rig such as this seems to be what you're after. Multiple XLR and Line inputs (not combos) and plenty of power for vocals and synths, with stands to elevate the speakers around 4-5 feet. Perhaps you can find something similar in your used gear market.

Last edited:
This is out of your geographical area, but a rig such as this seems to be what you're after. Multiple XLR and Line inputs (not combos) and plenty of power for vocals and synths, with stands to elevate the speakers around 4-5 feet. Perhaps you can find something similar in your used gear market.

Yes that looks very good for the money. I have read good reports in the past about the Passport rigs.
I am not sure what, other than vocals an synth you intend to put through PA but I doubt that system could handle much in the way of bass? But then, you are going to have to keep the overall level down as I said because mic feedback will set the SPL limit.

Dave.

If I'm just playing, I plug up to my JBL EON ONE, mono linear array, with 10" woofer. I don't play too loud, but it could deliver loud.
another option is the Bose Compact linear array.
I don't think you need stereo for live rehearsing, or even performing.
I thought about the Fender Passport. I think they're good for small acoustic performing.

In a small(ish) rehearsal room, there is seldom need to mic up the guitar amps. What you need to think about is future use. Are you planning on using these same PA speakers for gigs? If so, what size rooms? Will the bass be plugged through the PA system, miking the kick drum? If 'yes' to either of those, then you'll want at least 15" mains, or subs and 12" mains. The good thing about using powered speakers: if you need more volume (bigger venue) just daisy-chain more powered speakers.

Fender Passports are simply horrible. OK for a country band singing ye-ha in the corner, but the frequency response is very spikey and they just sound what they are, plastic and lightweight. If you want reasonable sound from plastic boxes - the moulded 12" ones that look similar to EV-300 speakers can be OK. I've heard at least half a dozen Passports and all, sounded the same, seriously lacking in quality. They are great to pack away and carry around, but just unpleasant compared to others.

I bought a Mackie Vlz 1402 as PA-console for my new studio/rehearsal space in the basement. Its main goal is amping up the mics and my synth for rehearsals + I also want to be able to play songs through bluetooth (which I probably will be doing by hooking up my old cd-player to it which has bluetooth).

I don't have speakers yet. So here's where I can use some advice. Ideal it would be a set with 2 speakers and 2 stands to put the speaker high up, but I'm wondering what speakers are best for my room since it's not that big. And what specs I should keep in mind.
A couple of Used QSC K10's would work for you - not the new ones (the K2) though. Why would you mic the guitars and keyboards in such a small room?

A couple of Used QSC K10's would work for you - not the new ones (the K2) though. Why would you mic the guitars and keyboards in such a small room?
Not planning on micing the guitars (unless it's an acoustic) when I'm using this PA/speakers. Looking into your suggestion though, since I found quite a bit of comments/bad reviews on the other 2 specific models that were said here.

Thanks a gazillion! My studio/rehearsal room is taking shape and can't wait to share the result on this forum!

Considering your price range and intended use I would consider Alto 10 or 12 inch powered speakers and then if you feel you need more bottom end ad a sub later. Pick up some standard PA speaker stands new or used.

Considering your price range and intended use I would consider Alto 10 or 12 inch powered speakers and then if you feel you need more bottom end ad a sub later. Pick up some standard PA speaker stands new or used.
After taking everything here in account and considering a lot of other options. I went with exactly your suggestion. They arrived today and seem to work fine/do what they need to do. Will be a coupe of weeks until everything is set and the first full-band rehearsal will happen. But thanks to y'all for the info and suggestions.

After taking everything here in account and considering a lot of other options. I went with exactly your suggestion. They arrived today and seem to work fine/do what they need to do. Will be a coupe of weeks until everything is set and the first full-band rehearsal will happen. But thanks to y'all for the info and suggestions.
That's great. I hope it all works out for you. Report back after you've had a chance to give them a good test.

Back