Tip for recording Death Metal guitar on a Tascam 414, I discovered

.....now, I presume you've all read "Slipperman's recording distorted guitars from hell"????... :cool:

That is some good info right there, especially the eq area diagram, the meat, middle-highs, oh, the horror. One thing I think that mentioned, get a mic further away from the amp to record low-end "meat"...?

Jouni said:
.....now, I presume you've all read "Slipperman's recording distorted guitars from hell"????... :cool:

That is some good info right there, especially the eq area diagram, the meat, middle-highs, oh, the horror. One thing I think that mentioned, get a mic further away from the amp to record low-end "meat"...?

Yep! I feel like if somebody went through it with a fine-toothed comb and cleaned it up, organized it, and finished it (he kinda trailed off and then got bored and stopped typing anything towards the end haha), it could probably turn into an even more well-respected "Metal Guitars 101" guide than it already is.

Heck I'd pay for it!

Good info in here.
I have been using cubase and recording from the line out of my amp head with excellent results. Recently I purchased a Korg d3200,...and omg,....I cant get a good guitar sound for sh*t. I dont really play death metal,...more of ??? melodic metal? Anyways,....this thread has given me some ideas.

It seems like the d3200 muddys up the bottom end,..fuzzes it up or something. I use a standard boss ds-1 dist. pedal.
I can't get the BOTTOM,...without unwanted fuzz.

I'll try the sm58 thing instead,....and I've got a large diaphram mxl condensor I may try too,....front of cabinet.

Friday night, its gonna be-on like a mofo with me and this amp.

Jouni said:
.....now, I presume you've all read "Slipperman's recording distorted guitars from hell"????

I have, on several occasions. His process involves around a billion dollars worth of gear in perfect rooms, something home recordist's will never achieve.

I have talked with guitarist's such as Doug Aldrich, formerly of Dio and now with Whitesnake. He would simply have one sm57 in front of his million dollar guitar rig, going into a billion dollars worth of gear.

Simple for those who can afford it, simple for the likes of Slipperman..

Not so simple for guy's on a budget cranking amps in their living room.

Tell me, after reading through Slipperman's writings, have you gotten anything out of it? Any improvements? Does your guitar sound like it has been processed through a Neve preamp and SSL console?

Or does it sound as it always has?

mr. torture said:
I have, on several occasions. His process involves around a billion dollars worth of gear in perfect rooms, something home recordist's will never achieve.

I have talked with guitarist's such as Doug Aldrich, formerly of Dio and now with Whitesnake. He would simply have one sm57 in front of his million dollar guitar rig, going into a billion dollars worth of gear.

Simple for those who can afford it, simple for the likes of Slipperman..

Not so simple for guy's on a budget cranking amps in their living room.

Tell me, after reading through Slipperman's writings, have you gotten anything out of it? Any improvements? Does your guitar sound like it has been processed through a Neve preamp and SSL console?

Or does it sound as it always has?

For me, the problem with his method wasn't necessarily the "his vs. ours" gear thing, so much as the fact that it's nearly impossible to follow 90% of what he says! He rambles on incoherently about nonsensical bullshit in between every single useful tidbit. His "tome", as it stands, could easily be compressed into three or four paragraphs.

That said, yes! What useful information was there DID help me get better guitar tone. I think things like the frequency chart would be an invaluable tool if explained or added to. "Fuck this fucking frequency. Mucho Death" doesn't help at all. So you have to be careful with it... great, thanks. Careful because what!? Anyway, the guy clearly knows EXACTLY what he's doing, and took the time to tell us (in his own fucked up way) how to improve our recorded guitar tone. You have to keep in mind: some people that read that had no idea different speakers sounded different, or even that a practice amp will sound different than a full marshall half-stack cranked to 9 when recorded! There really isn't a hell of a lot of knowledge between shitty and decent recording. Heck, there doesn't even have to be a lot of money between the two. Where things really start to get hard and take a shitload of learning, time, and money, is when you want to go from decent to astounding. THAT takes infinitely more time than shitty to good. Slipperman helped lots of people go from 'shitty' to 'decent' guitar tones (I would imagine), and possibly a few got closer to 'astounding'. If you're already getting decent guitar tone, read some of his finer points and you might learn a thing or two as well.

As an aside, FUCK YOU for being one of the many people on this and other boards who always have to discount any good advice anybody gives. I don't know what the hell you people are motivated by (jealousy? stupidity? superiority complex?) but it's fucking annoying. Try looking at things with a "I could learn something from this" or even better "I'm going to find something about this to learn from" attitude, instead of a "pshh, I already knew that! I wish I would have posted it before him so everybody would quote me and love me and give me rep points" point of view. What the fuck are you doing on a message board with that kind of attitude? Just wanna make yourself feel better? Jesus christ 99.999% of people in the world have no fucking clue how to record guitars. To those billions of people, posts like Slipperman's speak of MAGIC! I'm rambling now, but the point is shut the fuck up, keep your damn condescending attitude to yourself, and look at the world assuming you don't know everything. You'll find you will end up knowing a hell of a lot more going around learning vs. whining.

As an aside, FUCK YOU

Yeah, thats about what I expected, Nice one buddy.

Now get that amp of yours back in your closet, for a better sound, try adding a few more flannel shirts.

You people make me laugh.

Actually, I use a Triple rec on vintage with the gain pretty far down and the mids at around 2:00 cranked to 8 or 9 into a 4x12 cab in a relatively decently acoustically treated space (made some gobos and compressed fiberglass wall treatments). So yeah, go fuck yourself. And thanks for proving my point about having a condescending attitude. I wish I had been born with an SSL and some NS-10's glued to my damned hands but I guess we can't all have that luxury...

Just a response about recording DIRECT. I get plenty of good crushing tones going straight in my 2496 card using my Jackson WRMG (passive pickups), Guitar Rig and Cubase. Actually much better than any amp and mic I could use.

Years of trying to get a good crunch tone has led me to something I never even thought about....I turned down the dang GAIN! I always just cranked it all the way up, assuming that made sense.

You back off the Gain a couple clicks, and like somebody said earlier in this post (years ago? lol), you gotta back off the bass....let the freaking Bass guitar do that.

Then again, I can't stand "smushy" distortion tones...ugh. I have to have some sort of clarity to it...so many bands just sound terrible.

Chuck Schuldiner (RIP) had a great tone on his last cd (except when he used that awful flanger in leads). I think it sounded a lot less distorted than previous.

Back