Tinnitus Blues song

Nothing seems severely glaring to me in the mix itself. The vocs sound a little "hollow" or something to me but that's not necessarily bad... the tone works for the blues thing, I think.

You already know about the drums, so I won't harp there :). There are a few guitar intonation issues in spots, 3:53-3:56 being the most noticeable. Rhythm guits are perfect for the tune, and the lead tones are pretty sweet overall. Solid guitar chops, for sure. Bass... was there... which is what I'd expect for blues stuff.

Better drums would be the biggest improvement here, no amount of mix tweaking would make a bigger difference than that, IMO.

wfaraoni said:
Thanks for the links. I suffer from very bad tinnitus from being a one time club musician to now being an avid headphone user. Sometimes it is not so bad, other times it is very annoying. I now use protection whenever I do things like lawn care or snow removal (damn snow thower is loud!).

I think I'll be seeing a doc soon to see if my future hearing will get better or worse and if I should cut down on music and start painting!

(sorry if I did not get to your tune, I'm new and plan on listening to a lot of other people's stuff in the future)

Pglewis, thanks for the feedback. Ill have to do something with the drums for sure. You are not the first person who noticed an Intonation problem. I checked it and Sure enough Its OUT. I appreciate the feedback esp on things like that.

Peace
Bill

:cool:

Bill;

Very Cool Blues Vox and Geetar Riffs man! Sounds Great! What did you use on the leads? The tone is great for that Tradition Blues sound.

Bro, I feel for ya. I too have an acute hearing loss, especially in my left ear. I don't blame mine on Drummers though. I stood in front of Marshall Stacks and then the old Marshall 810 Cabs for too long back in the mid 70's. I have about 25% left in the left ear and severe high Frequency loss in both. I call it Acute Marshallistis. I have a time mixing. I have to get in the sweet spot and then I go back and forth between the Monitors with my right ear turned towards them to check the mix.

CR ><>

Axe4yahweh, Thanks for listening. The guitar sound is a standard strat run through a line 6 pod 2.3, then through a roland mmp-2 mic preamp then digital into the puter through spdif on a soundblaster audigy. Im just getting used to using the pod and I do like the result for electric guit over mic/amp method.

Tinnitus, Trying to record with compromised hearing is a real challenge :(
Me; 6k ring with around a 6k high limit both ears :mad:

Peace
Bill

wfaraoni said:
Me; 6k ring with around a 6k high limit both ears :mad:
Hey Bill, I have a really bad 24/7 ring/buzz. Did you actually find out how bad your ring was? I am making a doctor's appointment in the near future to get my hearing tested. Just curious.
:confused:

Cool stuff Bill.

I dig your picking. Has kind of a SRV feel to it. You have a killer voice for this style too.

I like your guitar playing enough that frankly, I wouldn't care if the drum sounds would just disappear. I think the playing would hold it's own. That being said, there were some off beats on the kick. I think even a simple kick on 1 and 3 would have been less distracting.

The sound is really good to me...if a little low.

Nice work man. Cool to hear some of your stuff. :)

ritchie woods, How bad is the ringing? Well it depends on the circumstance. Its aggravated by headphone wearing, loud background sound and even riding in a car with the windows down and radio on. Since it cant be fixed, it makes no sense to give it a value, They never gave me any figure, and only advice like, you just gotta live with it and tune it out. Best thing to do , Dont damage your ears with loud stuff in the first place, then keep any future exposure to a minumum.

wfaraoni said:
Dont damage your ears with loud stuff in the first place, then keep any future exposure to a minumum.
Yeah, I spent many years in a bar/club band and went to sleep with my ears ringing (I was young and foolish and never considered protection...duh). I do try to watch what I do now, but with such a passion and obsession for music making and classic rock listening, I know I can easily make them worse.

I plan on being an old guy who has trashed his ears and makes oil paintings! ;)

(sorry I have not gotten to your song yet, my stuff is all disconnected right now as I am redoing my studio situation...in a couple of days I'll hear it)

Jagular; "SRV" LOL Thanks for that compliment on the playing and Vox. Good thing Im just a dedicated though somewhat frustrated amateur whos having some fun, with no ambition to do any of this for a living or a sideline. Theres some awesome talent here, You included :) and some of you guys are like big brothers. Your kind words are greatly appreciated.
Ive recently got a set of yamaha vdrums that Im gonna have to practice on for a whole bunch judging from the feedback on this posting. No biggie, cause the way I look at it , if any one part is, through some anomoly (sp), somehow fantastic, that just makes the other parts seem worse by contrast :D:D

I Hope your transition to Sonar 2, your new puter and soundcard is coming along. I am eager to hear you post some more of "Your Great stuff". Cause I still dont have a whole Album dedicated to John Scott for the ride!!

Peace
Bill

Quote Me" No biggie, cause the way I look at it , if any one part is, through some anomoly (sp), somehow fantastic, that just makes the other parts seem worse by contrast "

what I meant was If one part is dreadful, that causes an anomoly of contrast which makes the other parts seem Better:D :D

Very nice, never thought that I would ever hear tinnitus put to a song.

Enjoyed it enough for a second listen, probably more!!!

GT

Hey Bill

Boy... the blues are great! I love the blues as well.

You have a great sounding blues voice...
Its sounds like you used some compression the guitars..? I would take the comp off if you did.

I hear some Stevie ray slides in there ..cool! :)

A smooth listen .. enjoyed it!

???? I keep trying to click on the link to the tune, but nothing happens? Weird. Just want you to know I am trying.

Gt Thanks for listening ,second listen Hmmm:D I guess its got a few moments where it does come together LOL

JMarcomb Thanks for your input on the compression, it is way overdone and seems cuts some guitar out, I will play with that when I remix it. It also can be a little hotter. Several major blunders are pretty evident but what the heck its the Blues. Drums make the guitar sound better ~ hehehe

Those slides are Fun !

Peace
Bill

Back