Time to Replace interface, Ideas?

D28Flatpickr

I've got a M-Audio Quattro USB interface with M-Audio DMP3 pre amp and Cakewalk Home Studio 2004. I've ALWAYS had driver issues with the Quattro since day 1.

Got a new 24" IMac two months ago. So now I'm looking to upgrade to a fire wire interface. Any Ideas or suggestions?

Mostly record acoustic music but sometimes rock blues with drum set. More than two inputs would be nice for drum miking or multi miking acoustic guitars and mandolins

I like the idea of the mixer board type interfaces with sliders an knobs to control the levels, record more than two silmutanious inputs at a time, as well as controlling the software. On board pres not a big concern because I plan on buying quality outboard preamps over time.

Thanks for your thoughts

I like the idea of the mixer board type interfaces with sliders an knobs to control the levels, record more than two silmutanious inputs at a time, as well as controlling the software. On board pres not a big concern because I plan on buying quality outboard preamps over time.

Usually a mixer combined with an interface is the worst of both worlds---a dodgy interface combined with a mixer that doesn't sound too great.

Besides, you aren't really controlling the levels with the mixer anyway beyond what you would get by tweaking the levels on an interface. It's not like those mixers are control surfaces that allow you to change the software mixer on the fly, nor can you typically mix "in the board" with them, AFAIK.

The only thing a mixer/interface does for you (other than giving you an EQ section that is probably not nearly as good as the free EQ plug-ins that come with your DAW software) is provide a mixer you can use for live shows. If you regularly need a mixer in that sort of environment and can actually kill two birds with one stone, then by all means, go for it. Otherwise, you're probably better off with a dedicated interface and if you really want mechanical controls for your mixing, a control surface to go along with it.

There are control surfaces that provide inputs. I don't know much at all about them, though.

On the Mac, my advice would be MOTU, Edirol, Apogee, or RME, with some preference towards MOTU. On the machine you're talking about, though, I wouldn't recommend RME unless you are certain you have a TI FireWire chipset.

motu is said to be really good with mac, driver wise. I don't have one so I haven't got experience with it. The ultralite apparently has 10 inputs (8 analog i think) and 14 outputs. check the website for more (accurate) info.

apogee appparently has very good pre's.

and if your going for something a bit cheaper, maybe check outpresonus. the firebox has 4 audio inputs (2 combo jacks/ 2 trs jacks).

The motu traveller or ultralight is roughly the same price as a presonus, and I think motu makes some great stuff. Apogee is a little pricey, but does sound good. It depends on how much you are willing to spend.

I guess I'm looking for a control surface and not a mixer. I've seen USB and firewire mixers and I agree they don't seem to do what I need them to. Most of the ones I have researched don't allow multi tracking the same way as an interface. They basically let you send several channels into one maybe two tracks at the most.

What about the Tascam FW-1082? It looks to be a digital control surface with 8 analog ins and midi and lots programming options for the controls. It also comes with Cubase LE for Mac and PC. It reminds me of the older digital workstations with an interface built in in place of the cassette deck or hard disc

I always had good experiences with tascam multi track recorders.

Last edited:
I guess I'm looking for a control surface and not a mixer. I've seen USB and firewire mixers and I agree they don't seem to do what I need them to. Most of the ones I have researched don't allow multi tracking the same way as an interface. They basically let you send several channels into one maybe two tracks at the most.

What about the Tascam FW-1082? It looks to be a digital control surface with 8 analog ins and midi and lots programming options for the controls. It also comes with Cubase LE for Mac and PC. It reminds me of the older digital workstations with an interface built in in place of the cassette deck or hard disc

I always had good experiences with tascam multi track recorders.

My Mackie Onyx 1640 firewire mixer sends 16 tracks to my pc. But you still have to mix in the box. Its not a control surface. Just a fantastic live mixer/firewire interface. But its not what you want. I dont mind mixing out of the box. Im getting pretty good with the mouse and shortcut keys. But if I had an extra 2k, I'd buy the Mackie control surfaces to go along with my software. I would really love to have the Mackie control surfaces along with the Mackie 1200f. Then I would dedicate my 1640 as a live mixer. Or combine it with the 1200f for more channels.

Yamaha has just what you want. A control surface/interface in a mixer style unit. Just been reading about it in SOS magazine. Looks pretty cool. Its the N12

n12-large.jpg

750-n12_rear.jpg

Back