time for a reamper?

jon_SKR

I've been recording direct guitar tracks through a DI as well as the amped sound, then reamping the guitar later. I end up with a bunch of static/computer noise coming out of the amp when reamping. so I guess it's time for a reamper! has anyone tried any of these out? I was looking at the radial reamp JCR... Any advice would be much appreciated!

More info is better. Is this a laptop or a desktop? What interface are you feeding the amp from? Are all of the devices plug into wall power as close to the same place (same power strip usually works) as possible? Have you tried breaking the shield connection at one end of the audio cable? Is it actually enough noise to be a real problem in the final mix?

so yeah, it's a desktop. I'm running presonus studio one and the interface is a presonus firestudio project. everything is connected to the same circuit albeit through different outlets (I'm fairly sure of this, but I'm kind of a dunce about electrical wiring) I have a furman power conditioner I could run everything through. I have not tried breaking the shield connection, how would I go about doing that? the noise level isn't that bad when the guitar is clean but through distortion it gets quite loud.

I had the same problem trying ghetto methods of re-amping (using a stomp-box as the re-amp box....I've read of guys using 'em with good results, but it didn't happen for me), bought the cheapest Radial re-amp box (it was like $100), & my noise problem was solved.....

so yeah, it's a desktop. I'm running presonus studio one and the interface is a presonus firestudio project. everything is connected to the same circuit albeit through different outlets (I'm fairly sure of this, but I'm kind of a dunce about electrical wiring) I have a furman power conditioner I could run everything through. I have not tried breaking the shield connection, how would I go about doing that? the noise level isn't that bad when the guitar is clean but through distortion it gets quite loud.
Try once with everything plugged into one power strip or that Furman thing. It doesn't always help, but it can, and is a cheap and easy fix if it does.

To break the shield you just unscrew the plug and cut the shield wire away from where it is soldered to the longer part of the plug. Kinda trim them up as best possible so they don't accidentally make contact when you put it back together. This has a good chance of fixing the issue, but nothing is ever guaranteed in this kinda crap.

Awesome, sounds like radial is way to go.... I will try the power strip trick first though. Thanks guys!

" (I'm fairly sure of this, but I'm kind of a dunce about electrical wiring"

So! Take this as an opportunity to learn Jon!
You have obviously moved on from the "buy a box, plug it in and go" basic home recording jockey to someone of a rather more experimental bent.

Take the issue of lifting a signal earth? Yes, can work but leaves you with a non-standard cable*. Much better to buy some mic cable and XLR plugs and cable sockets and make up an in-line "slug" about 6"/150mm long with the diss'ed shield in there. Then, LABEL IT UP!
Other such "slugs" can be a phase flip, an XLR to TRS/TS, an unbalanced to "impedance" balanced TS to XLR . You might progress to putting things in tins such as iso' transformers, +4dB to neg ten attenuators. A "pot in a tin" is a MOST useful device!

Getting kitted out is fairly cheap. A $50 solder "station" and some basic hand tools, pliers and wirecutter/strippers. A very cheap 2"/50mm table clamping vice is also invaluable.
Most important of all, a digital test meter.

*In fact this action can end up causing Radio Frequency Interference, not common but can happen and there is a simple fix for it. But you need to be able to solder!

Dave.

Haha yeah, I've been recording for far too long to have any excuse for not knowing how the electrical components actually function. I've got an electrician buddy I jam and record with. I will see if he can give me some tutorials! thanks Dave!

Back