Thrash/punk

rodvonbon

belly full of beer
Hey everybody,

This is a band a buddy of mine i work with is in.

http://nowhereradio.com/fourteenorfight/singles

Ive been into punk for as long as i can remember, and this takes me back to some of the stuff i was once into.
Its not melodic poop punk or emo or anything like that, but i dig it.

This was recorded in a cement untreated basement live.
The drums were rattleing the guitar and bass were out of tune and the singer was standing in a corner.
the only over dub was a backing vocal on the first song.
This stuff is fast and short just the way i like it.

Anyone out there into this?

let me know,

rodvonbon

Loud and furious...not my thing, but certainly full of fury.

g

p.s. I love the diversity here...
p.s. fuck Emo...whatever the hell that is...

Blake and Gmiller,

Im glad a couple of people checked it out.
I love the diversity here too.

rodvonbon

oh yeah.......and fuck emo!

There is no diversity..:D

This is the kind of music I started playing when I first joined a band. Then it was called N.Y.H.C. (New York Hard Core)

This is not thrash or punk IMOP, it is old school hardcore plain and simple. :)

I use to go to C.B.G.B.'s on sunday afternoons for the hardcore matinee's, and this reminded me of that.. I listened to every song. Fast part, mosh part, fast part....how it should be. I would have liked even more mosh parts. :)

It was a suprising listen to hear this music in the clinic. Ever hear of any of these bands, (Minor Threat, Breakdown, Bold)

The good ol days.:) I enjoyed the listen, but I doubt it will be such a pleasant walk down memory lane for anyone else.

Thanks for posting this.. it reminds me I should get back down to basics. :cool:

later
sam
(B.Sabbath)

yeah this is what a ton of bands in our local scene play. i always love it for shows of course..ha

yes, fuck emo - screamo is taking over!! - http://www.mp3.com/quad_5_crew

ha...however, this recording rocks ass for live - it sounds fucking awesome to me...ha i mean, my recordings are not much better then this and we do all the shit seperately!

can you go into more on how you did this?

I'm not a huge punk fan, but I don't hate it either.

But every once in a while, I like to listen to a song where everyone is either yelling or beating the crap out of their guitar. The drummer is terrific.

This was some pretty cool stuff. And pretty damn good for a live recording in a concrete basement. Couldn't understand a word of it, but somehow I suspect it's suppposed to be that way. :D

whenever anyone ever hears a "punk" song...they say "GREAT drumer" and "terrific drum set"...and stuff like "i wish i knew a drummer who was that good!"...

however...around here...it seems like everyone can play a classic punk beat...and its in fact really hard to find anyone who can play anything else!

maybe its age differences? Being a drummer myself...and I tihnk everyone can agree that i'm pretty damn good..ha...i think i look for different stuff for being an AWESOME drummer...

i dont know, just came to my attention...

Wow:eek: ,

I wasnt expecting this many of you to respond.

Samicide- Hahahaha, I know i know, calling it thrash is kind of a joke i have with my buddy. He gets pissed when i do, but i tell him "God damned you guys thrashed" .........it's a midwest 80's thing.:D

Shackrock- Thanks for the kind words man. Really its got nothing to do with me, a band this loud and fast is kind of hard to record wrong.

Heres the details:
The drums-
2 ecm8000s through an ultra gain pro pre with a low cut for over heads
sm57s on snare, rack and floor tom
Beta 52 on kick just out side the front head
In the mix i put a TON of compression on the kick and snare .
The drums are used by a few diffrent bands at their rehersal space and sound horrific, hence low toms in the mix.
The guitar -
was miced with a sm57 centered on the cone and i ran a whirlwind di from the back of the amp. In the mix the miced guitar was panned in the 10-11 o'clock position and the di was full left. the mic was really bright and the di was really low end sounding with no eq on each.
The bass-
sm58 on the cab and a di off the amp
Vocals-
Oktava 319 through a art tube pac using the limiter.

TripleM- I dont understand a word of it either, but he sounds passionate about what ever it is.:)

Really guys thanks for listening,
rodvonbon

rodvonbon said:

ran a whirlwind di

di = direct in?

whirlwind...? what is that?

i think the guitars are what really makes the mix sound awesome.

i think i'll have to pick up a pair of ecms though...i like thier sound on cymbals.

Shackrock,

Whirlwind is just the brand name for the direct box. I have the IMP 2

http://www.whirlwindusa.com/dirbox.html

Its left over from some live gear i used to have. i ran it out from the back of the amp into the box to balance the signal.
Panning the di track and the mic track really thickened up the guitar sound.
The ECMs are the best budget mics ive ever bought.

rodvonbon

I'm into some thrash, like early Metallica and Megadeth. I do like their later works also, but they are not exactly thrash. This leans more into the punk, I guess it's the screaming vocals. Not the style I listen to, and the mix is kinda live, so I can't comment on much here. The band sounds tight enough and very energetic, from what I hear.

Good stuff but not thrash,just punk.Decent recording...nice and angry.Like Coalesce,Nasum.Needs a little more diversity.

I have a hard time calling it punk....

I'd ere towards the side of thrash. i don't know...

A little angry for my tastes...but, I think you translated it well. I could use a little fuller low end.

I'm with sam...or..whoever it was..on the drumming...

I know lots of kids who could play that....not many who could play drums for say...Ani DiFranco :)

-Wes

I liked the Fourteen-or-Fight music.

It was hard driving punk, just the way I like it.

The recording was pretty damn good. Good performance and energy. Nice & punchy fat tone, the way the Tascam 38 should sound.

I'll download some more, some other time. I've bookmarked the page. Thanx.

Back