Thoughts on...

masterofpuppets

Kind of pointless, but I dont hear much about Dave Mustaine. I mean yes he was in Megadeth and all that, but I wanna know what people around here think of him. He led a strange life from Satanism to making new records after the accident. Just want to hear others opinions I guess.

masterofpuppets said:
Kind of pointless, but I dont hear much about Dave Mustaine. I mean yes he was in Megadeth and all that, but I wanna know what people around here think of him. He led a strange life from Satanism to making new records after the accident. Just want to hear others opinions I guess.

He was another junkie that lucked out because he could write songs that struck a nerve with some people.

I don't what else you mean.

His guitar tone? What?

Ya the old Megadeth stuff is really good. Even some of that later stuff is good. That "Coming Home" song is tight.

I didn't know he was a actual satanist, but I guess it makes sense.

I was a big fan of Megadeth until Countdown to Extinction (Which pales in comparison to the rest of his earlier works). Cryptic writings had a couple cool songs, But I could live without the rest of it. I always buy their new album, in the off chance that they'll start kicking arse again, but after getting his latest and not seeing Dave Ellefson onboard I think Mustaine is just using and abusing the Megadeth name. I mean, I'm glad he got his life together and had a family, and recovered from his wrist thingy, but it's time to move on already.

Like the early Megadeth

Always thought he was very talented.. To this day the show I saw in Trenton, City Gardens or something it was called in 86 or 87 was one of the best concerts I have ever been to..

It was general admission and I walked up to within 5 feet of Dave, just in time for Wake up Dead!! It was a thrill I will never forget...

I saw him on Clash Of The Titans with Slayer, Anthrax, and Alice In Chains (Opening). That was right on the heels of Rust In Piece. That whole show kicked ass. Even though Alice In Chains are decent, they got booed by the audience. I would have liked to see someone a little heavier opening, they were just victims of Speed-Metal-Mania.

Shocking...

Atterion said:
Even though Alice In Chains are decent, they got booed by the audience. I would have liked to see someone a little heavier opening, they were just victims of Speed-Metal-Mania.

Alice in chains booed... Now we all wish Layne was still alive..

I used to be a big Megadeth fan. I saw them in concert when they were touring for Countdown to Extinction (last Megadeth CD I bought).

The show was awesome (music-wise) but was way too short-- they only played for about an 1.5 hours. There was a meet-and-greet after the show and the band kind of acted like they just wanted to hurry up and get it over with so they could leave.

Anyway, the good part of the story is that Dave Mustaine flipped me off. :D As I said, I used to be a huge fan and so I knew all the lyrics. I was about 2 people from the front row on the right side-- in-between Dave and Marty. I was singing along (very loudly) and at one point when Dave wasn't playing guitar, he looked me in the eyes and flipped me the bird. HAHA!

What accident/wrist-thingy happened to Dave?

I've been out of the metal scene for so long I don't have a clue. Sepultura were superstars about the time I started getting bored with metal (not to diss Sepultura... they were awesome).

That's great !!!

Scottgman said:
I was singing along (very loudly) and at one point when Dave wasn't playing guitar, he looked me in the eyes and flipped me the bird. HAHA!

You should be honored!!!

I was... it was a badge of honor (although, I have no doubt that Dave Mustaine is a first-rate asshole).

But I was quickly upstaged by my buddy who received a reach-around from an anonymous girl in the crowd. :eek:

Atterion said:
I saw him on Clash Of The Titans with Slayer, Anthrax, and Alice In Chains (Opening). That was right on the heels of Rust In Piece. That whole show kicked ass. Even though Alice In Chains are decent, they got booed by the audience. I would have liked to see someone a little heavier opening, they were just victims of Speed-Metal-Mania.

I saw Clash of the Titans also. Of all three bands, Megadeth sounded the worst!!! I have always been a fan of the older stuff (pre-countdown, though there were a couple of songs I liked on there).

Excellent concert, but my neck hasn't been the same since...

Lmao!!

Scottgman said:
I was... it was a badge of honor (although, I have no doubt that Dave Mustaine is a first-rate asshole).

But I was quickly upstaged by my buddy who received a reach-around from an anonymous girl in the crowd. :eek:

I think the reach around wins !!!

Scottgman said:
What accident/wrist-thingy happened to Dave?

I've been out of the metal scene for so long I don't have a clue. Sepultura were superstars about the time I started getting bored with metal (not to diss Sepultura... they were awesome).
He had Radial Neuropathy in his left wrist (Which is compresses nerves).

Sepultura was awesome up until Roots (wasn't a big fan of that one). Since Max has gone though, I've lost interest. Again I keep buying CD's like this in hopes there will be a big comeback. It happens. Look at Testament. One of the greatest bands ever, and they turned into a bunch of Sally's then come back with "Low" with James Murphy (R.I.P.). Then went completely satanistic with "Demonic", and finally release one of the best Metal albums ever "The Gathering" with Murphy, and Dave Lombardo!!!

Kreator has come back with a vengeance too, over the last couple of years, and David Vincent has FINALLY rejoined Morbid Angel.

For you Megadeth fans though, I just saw Nightwish in August and they played the Symphony of Destruction (Which kicks ass with Keys), and Nightwish plan on releasing a studio version :)

Well...

The first CD I paid for with my own money was Peace Sells...

I thought Megadeth was killer up till about... uhmm.... Countdown... or maybe Rust in Peace.

I just thought they were passe' after that.

Thoughts on Dave though... hmmm...

• He's a great guitarist (even after the nerve damage to his wrist).

• He's an A#1 egomaniac and a$$hole.

• He was screwed out of buying Jackson Guitars, which could have been cool for guitarists.

• He definately knows how to hold a grudge.

• He's smart for keeping Elfson around so long, and he also has Chris Poland back (second guitar from Peace Sells).

• He respects the "power of the fans" and seems to consider them in his decisions.

Megadeth and Metallica should (finally after 20 years) bury the hatchet, and co-headline one last arena tour with the original Peace Sells line up (minus Gar, the drummer, who is dead). They should do it for the fans, and so that they could cash out, and move on to new projects.

One more thing, while I am wishing for the impossible...

On that Metallica/Megadeth tour, let's make it a festival, maybe called "Metal in our Joints" and bring along:

• Slayer line up (with Lambardo on drums of course)
  • Suicidal Tendencies (with Rob playing bass in both Metallica and ST)
  • Anthrax line up from "Amoung the Living"

Last edited:
So it seems Megadeth are getting played out. I havent heard anything from the new CD, but it is sapposed to be back the the roots. I doubt it though. Also it seems Metallica and Megadeth are running a parallel these days. Both are abuseing the names they carry. Personally if the new Metallica CD they plan to make does not stack to Justice or Master is over. I think the same could be said for Megadeth, they need to let it be and move on.

Also on a side note its a wonder than the Metallica line up with Mustaine even lasted a few weeks, that had to have been the most egotistical band in history. Lars alone would shadow anyones large head haha.

always a metal fan, never a megadeth fan. hate his voice, hate his attitude. he just seems like a big douche to me. i can see why he got kicked out of metallica. :D

Yeah hix is playing dumb. He knows!!!

I agree with Adam:
1. Anthrax w/ Belladonna would be great (God knows he sux on his own). And put Bush back in Armored Saint (They were alright...)
2. Suicidal rocked!!! Need I Say More!!!
3. I can't wait to see if the whole Dave Lombardo w/ Slayer thing will pan out. If it does, hopefully Dave will give those guys a dope slap. They Sucked out harder than most of the others.
I've Seen Slayer 4 times:

South Of Heaven Tour-Kicked ASS

C.o.T. Tour w/ Seasons in the abyss-Kicked ASS

Divine Intervention Tour-Kicked ASS, couldn't move my neck for 2 weeks (Bostaph is alright...(Biohazard opened and called everyone in Tampa racists, and I thought there was going to be a riot!!!))

Diabolus In Musica-Sucked ASS, sounded like CRAP (But man was it loud, went into mens room after show to leak out a couple beers, and there were probably 50 guys taking a leak in the trough type urinals and I couldn't hear anything but ringing, not one drop of weewee).

But here is the best- Testament in Clearwater w/ Sponge opening!?!?! WTF?!?!!?

Adam B said:
Megadeth and Metallica should (finally after 20 years) bury the hatchet, [/list]

He actually announced in some interview that he no longer has any beef with Lars or Metallica. I can't find the interview, but I know he said that.

As for the tour, that would be bitchen. That would rock if they all dueled solos.

Back