This Tonewood Bollocks on Electric Guitars

Yeah...everything matters....but I think what's being said is if you take two guitars that have everything identical except the wood body...say a solid mahogany VS one with a maple top...the differences are going to be subtle.

I mean...take something like an SG...it's a plank with pickups...yet it can sound fantastic.
So I guess the point/question is...how much would very expensive tonewoods improve on an SG's sound...?

Sure it's subtle. But take a brand new p90 Sg and compare it to a 60s sg. Almost anyone will hear a huge difference. Just in your hands you can feel the difference in how they vibrate.

Or another example. You can take two fender strats. Made the same day, same everything. One will sing better than the other. The only factor different there is the wood.

Another factor I forgot to mention. The psychological bond with the instrument based on an affinity with the instrument.
Maybe someone likes candy apple red. They'll in their own mind think it sounds better than a plain white one.

Then there is the feel. If you have a neck you really like, you'll be more on top of your game playing it and you'll be able to get better tone out of it.

After all, most of the tone comes from your hands.

Another factor I forgot to mention. The psychological bond with the instrument based on an affinity with the instrument.
Maybe someone likes candy apple red. They'll in their own mind think it sounds better than a plain white one.

For sure.

I've got a lot of "same" guitars with my Hags...but they're all different, and they sound different...though they are all based on mahogany bodies...some have maple tops.

So it may be the cut of the wood even if it's the same type...or just the color of the finish that gives it a different vibe, and that makes it sound different to you. :)

And then.......

There's Mojo.

What the hell is that? Is it real, or a hallucination? Why is it that 5 people, who have never met, can independently of each other, pick up a guitar and come to the conclusion it's something special? Hmm
:p :D

I'm not a believer in wood. I think more of it depends on your electronics, amp, guitar construction, and how you play it.

This is pretty much my thoughts, too. Add strings to the list.

I bought a kit bass from Guitar fetish where the body was made out of Poulwhina(?) crap. Super light material. Screws were stripping out of the wood. Then I built an Alder body and moved everything over. Neck, strings, bridge, pups, elex.... everything. It sounds the same. Alder isn't heavy like mahogany, but it is lot more dense than that Poulwhina(?) crap. So, can't judge difference in sustain too much. Besides, I usually use a lot of compression anyways, so natural sustain is moot.

Now, when you start talking about looks. It makes a big difference.

You guys better stay away from the Les Paul Forum.

The reason those 58-60 Bursts sound so awesome is the aged wood has opened its grain up and all those years of playing have made the grain more conducive to that full, rich, woody tone.

Yeah right. Well for $500k you need something to tell the marks.

You guys better stay away from the Les Paul Forum.

The reason those 58-60 Bursts sound so awesome is the aged wood has opened its grain up and all those years of playing have made the grain more conducive to that full, rich, woody tone.

Yeah right. Well for $500k you need something to tell the marks.
Ah, are they the guys that use the tone improving polish?

Ah, are they the guys that use the tone improving polish?
lol Yeah some of 'em. Snake oil strings (which may actually be good - I don't know), $100 cables, all kinds of crazy shit. Some of them know their stuff but there sure are a lot of wankers around.

Back