This is for all of you Shure 57 Bashers!

This tune kicks ass! I love the "old school" feel it has, both in the performance and recording. First rate!

heh.

im probably just making myself look like an idiot :D.

Hopefully the guy just has a polarity reverse on his sequencer or mixer.

I dont know if its worth him actually recording the whole thing over if thats what you mean...

danny

Like you, im not real happy with the drum recording, but i love the performance. We're going to give it another pass and track it to his otari 2" via a TAC Scorpion board then transfer it to 24bit wav...that should improve the sound and give a little more old school flavor I'm going for.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'm putting this on a 3 song demo for labels, maybe something will come of it:)

fantastic..for a second i thought it was some beatles cover but then it kicked in...great stuff..impressed..cant say too much about the recording quality..i know this is a homerecording site but its all about the song first isnt it..i mean do you really care weather its a 57 or whatever ...thats all just by the way!! the song came across..it works..well done. !! really great stuff.

Thank you all for taking the time to listen to the song. The feedback I have received is overwhelming. For shits and giggles I uploaded an alternate version with a new drum take using a 2" 16-track Otari. It was so fat sounding that I had to boost the high end out of track by about 5db around 16khz.
It's roughly mixed and once again mp3 encoded seperately from the rest of the mix but its interesting to hear how a good tape machine records against a protools rig.

The song is called "Let It Hang minty!"

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists...id=1147&alid=-1

Last edited:
Yo again Scriabin,

ill take a listen to the new drums later tonight in the studio. Did you find anything out about that drum phasing problem?

Im a little confused too. I dont see any information about Otari having an ATR series tape machine. The ATR series belongs to Ampex. Sure your friends not meaning like an Ampex ATR 102? Ive got one of those and they are nice, but it is only 2 track 1/2 inch. Also, 2 inch tape normally isnt used for 16 tracks. It would almost be a waist of tape. 1" is what the Tascam MS16 in my studio uses and its 16 track. And ive looked around the internet for anything involving an Otari ATR 2" 16 track. Its almost like theres not a single word in that phrase that really fits with each other. There is a MTR series though, but i think those are all 2 track 1/2 inch too.

Boosting 16Khz isnt going to give you much of a difference in high frequency definition. Those are more in the harmonics range. Maybe it needed that though i dont know. But work a little better in the 8-12Khz range if your looking for some more top end. Anyway ill take a listen to it when i get in the studio and get back to you.

Anyway, sorry if you feel all your getting from me is negative feedback. But i wonna make sure you understand whats really making the music and the recording good. No one wants a skewed idea of what making the magic happen. How are you going to recreate it?

Danny

Oops, yeah I'm smoking crack. Here's the studio's link so you can see the Otari. http://mysite.verizon.net/res6r3kb/

In regards to the 16khz comment, yes it helped out tremendously in the getting more air into the track. I used a bell shaped curve and had a rather large Q. So you got the beginnings of the boost around 12hz.

Back