This is for all of you Shure 57 Bashers!

Not bad. Good job.

The drums sound phasey though. might wonna check it in mono and try a couple of polarity reverses.

The phasey-ness you hear is Mp3 encoding on the drums. Thanks for the listen:)

darnold said:
Not bad. Good job.

The drums sound phasey though. might wonna check it in mono and try a couple of polarity reverses.

No. It doesnt sound like a MP3 encoding errors. It sounds like a phase problem with the drums. It might not really be phasing but it sounds like it. The center sounds really transparent in the stereo image while everything around it sounds in front. I think its really only in the snare. Seriously try reversing the polarity of the snare mic.

Danny

The drum track was originally recorded as a 128kps stereo track while everything else you hear was tracked at 24bit 44.1khz wav. That combined with additional conversion to mp3 again perhaps contributed to the washiness your describing.

darnold said:
No. It doesnt sound like a MP3 encoding errors. It sounds like a phase problem with the drums. It might not really be phasing but it sounds like it. The center sounds really transparent in the stereo image while everything around it sounds in front. I think its really only in the snare. Seriously try reversing the polarity of the snare mic.

Danny

Yeah, unfortunately, I had a friend record them on the other side of the country. He never got around to sending me the wav version. I'm unhappy with the washiness of another wise good drum take...still trying to get the wav version. We'll see. Thanks for the listen:)
chrisharris said:
You probably already know that was a bad idea, so I'll just leave you with one of these:

:confused:

catchy tune. cant say anything but ditto about the drums. the drums were recorded well though it sounds like. not bad. keep it up.

I like the tune! I'm going to go against the flow of what everyone else has said so far...I actually like the sound the drums have. Whatever happened with the mp3 artifacts or whatever else make it sound a lot like a Zeppelin drum track, and to my ear that sound fits the song really well. Sure it's not squeaky clean and maybe it has some phasing issues, but whoever said that squeaky clean is the way everything should be all the time?

Sounds good dude, sweet sound.
Im a diehard 57 fan myself, however I prefer the md421 Senn over it as far as a multi workhorse.

Im from old school, back in that time we had a suitcase filled with 545sd's. I don`t think shure had the 57 then.

Last edited:
its still completely disagree that the sound of the washiness in the drums is an mp3 encoding problem. Thats just not the sound of a bad mp3 decoder. We will see when you actually get the wave. It could be i guess. But very unlikely in my opinion. I wouldnt expect much of a difference in the wave version.

I guess it doesnt matter if you like the sound of it. But i doubt thats the same way Zepplin got their drums sound. If im correct about it being phase cancellation, as soon as someone listens to that mix in mono or a really narrow stereo field the snare drum and middle part of the stereo feild will basically disappear.

But hey again its your recording, thats just what i noticed. I personally dont think its a good thing that it turned out that way even though it sounds kinda of cool. Because if it wasnt intentional it was still a mistake on someones end. If you said you were going for that in the beginning and you found ways to get it that way intentionally i would say "thats being a cool and good engineer", otherwise its just a plain mistake that was a hit and miss situation. But still maybe its still good because you learned a new way of doing something. I dunno theres a hundred ways to look at the situation i guess, both bad and good.

Anyway, if you find out after getting the wave file that it really is an mp3 encoding error, that will be interesting and a learning experience for me too. Post up the difference if you could.

Thanks

Danny

darnold said:
I guess it doesnt matter if you like the sound of it. But i doubt thats the same way Zepplin got their drums sound.

Well I never said that that was how Zeppelin got that sound, but there are many different ways to arrive at very similar sounds.

Phobophile said:
Sounds good! My 545 (ordered off ebay) will hopefully arrive soon. You've raised my expectations! :)

I LOVE my 545. I got it for such a great deal on Ebay...only 35 dollars:) It was a time capsule when it arrived at my door. It had a custom made red alligator skin case, the original brochure, velvet case, atlas stand, xlr adapter and the original hand typed warranty card/date of purchase dated Jan. 13 , 1963 Oakland California. It's feels and looks brand new, not a nick or oxidation signs anywhere.
I think they sound smoother than the newer 57. I often use the 545 for vocals and the 57 for a cabinet depending on the needs of the song. I hope you have a good preamp to really make it shine:)

sile2001 said:
Well I never said that that was how Zeppelin got that sound, but there are many different ways to arrive at very similar sounds.

yup thats true. but for the reasons that i explained before is probably why Zeppelin didnt use that way. Maybe they did. But why would they put the snare there in the first place if theres a chance it was just going to cancel out?

BTW, also i think if it was an mp3 conversion error it would be on the drums as a whole and not just in the center. You would probably be hearing it on the left and right just as much as the center. If it was a chance that the mp3 encoder did swich the polarity of either the left or right channel, switching one of the channels polarity now/after should correct it and bring the snare back to life. I tried it, and it doesnt fix the problem. Also, if it did switch the polarity of one of the left or right channels, the snare would almost completely disappear. Thats only the case if in the first place everything was already 180 degrees in phase. Since it does close to nothing when i do a polarity reverse on a single left or right channel, it tells me that the thing out of phase is the close mic and both of the overheads, and it is close to 90 degrees out of phase in the mix. So switching the polarity on one side keeps it 90 degrees out of phase with the mix.

I think thats the best way to describe it and i think ive got it in order that makes sense and is accurate. Im seeing whats happening in my head but its alot more difficult righting it out on paper. Maybe a diagram will help. The degrees of phase might be wrong too.

Quick and simple solution, tell the person who did the drums to reverse the close mics polarity and the problem should go away. Try it and let me know if it works or not. If it does, but you still like it the other way, whatever. Its not that big of a deal to me. But im dieing to know for my own learning and experience to know what the problem is. If it does end up being an mp3 encoding error after all, i will still be content because i learned something new.

Im getting way to into this :D

danny

lol, I might be wrong too:) Im having the culprit rerecord the track with the polarity reversed so we can all figure out what the deal is... I'll post the results when its finished
darnold said:
yup thats true. but for the reasons that i explained before is probably why Zeppelin didnt use that way. Maybe they did. But why would they put the snare there in the first place if theres a chance it was just going to cancel out?

BTW, also i think if it was an mp3 conversion error it would be on the drums as a whole and not just in the center. You would probably be hearing it on the left and right just as much as the center. If it was a chance that the mp3 encoder did swich the polarity of either the left or right channel, switching one of the channels polarity now/after should correct it and bring the snare back to life. I tried it, and it doesnt fix the problem. Also, if it did switch the polarity of one of the left or right channels, the snare would almost completely disappear. Thats only the case if in the first place everything was already 180 degrees in phase. Since it does close to nothing when i do a polarity reverse on a single left or right channel, it tells me that the thing out of phase is the close mic and both of the overheads, and it is close to 90 degrees out of phase in the mix. So switching the polarity on one side keeps it 90 degrees out of phase with the mix.

I think thats the best way to describe it and i think ive got it in order that makes sense and is accurate. Im seeing whats happening in my head but its alot more difficult righting it out on paper. Maybe a diagram will help. The degrees of phase might be wrong too.

Quick and simple solution, tell the person who did the drums to reverse the close mics polarity and the problem should go away. Try it and let me know if it works or not. If it does, but you still like it the other way, whatever. Its not that big of a deal to me. But im dieing to know for my own learning and experience to know what the problem is. If it does end up being an mp3 encoding error after all, i will still be content because i learned something new.

Im getting way to into this :D

danny

Back