Thinking about picking up an Akai 4000 DS Mk II

fendersk8911

Hello all,

I recently saw a Akai 4000 DS Mk II deck in very decent condition for $25. I just wanted to get your opinion about this deck and was wondering if this deck is worth my time as far as a mixdown/mastering deck.

Thanks,

Christian

Hi Christian, welcome to the forum!

The Akai deck you're looking at is a consumer model and doesn't offer the benefits typical of decks used for mixdown.

For starters, this deck is what's called a 'quarter track' deck, where the recorded program occupies two tracks that each take up about one quarter of the usable tape width. The kinds of decks used for mixdown are called 'half track' decks, where the L and R audio track each occupy half of the usable tape width.

Also, the highest speed that this deck operates at is 7.5 inches per second. Higher quality, "professional" decks run at 15 ips (or sometimes 30 ips in nicer studios).

$25 isn't a bad price, but you can do better for just a little more. For example, this Tascam 22-2 would make a good starter mixdown deck, and costs $125: Link

A better machine, the Tascam 32, shows up on Craigslist and eBay around the $150-$500 range. Here's one on eBay for example: link

For just a couple hundred dollars you will find another deck that's orders of magnitude better, with more spare parts and a better user community.

Hope that helps!
Jeff

Thanks so much! I also found another AKAI for $25, perhaps this one is a bit better, but I won't know until the person emails me, as they did not include any information other than that it was in good condition. I may be needing your opinion on that one as well, if you don't mind.

On another note, I have just sent you a PM. I hope you don't mind.

Christian

Back