The Sound of Your Drum

zaragemca

I would like to point out something in relation to the drum/ sound,the characteristic of the sound would depend on several situations, the type of wood,(becouse some expecifics wood/fibers absorve some frequencies...but also it would depend on the shells,(becouse a thicker shell /wood, would restrict more the vibration of the sound/wave which have to develop inside the body),..The diameter of the drum would give more opportunity for the low/wave sound to develop if the body is bigger...The type of external components, (tigh up to the shells), would damper,or facilitate the reproduction of the sound/wave...The type of head/drum could modify the interaction of the wave/sound frequencies in the drums...The tuning modify the wave/sound of the drums...The type of drums/sticks would modify the sound of drums...In recording or gigs,the type of microphone would facilitate what frequency you are trying to get from the drums,( you could hear something in the stage which is going to be different than what the people are going to hear in the audience...The type of environment of the place,(Glass,wood,carpet,metals,altitud,how many people are in the place,etc.),is going to interact with the development of the sound/wave....And the equalization or, software which you could use to process the sound/wave,could modify all of the above.Dr. Zaragemca

Reactions: apl
Well, that will be very useful to all of the drum manufacturers on this forum.

Thanks for sharing that...whatever it was.:confused:

So, basically what you're saying is that everything a drum is made of, how it's mic'ed, how it's played, and the room it's in all affect the sound?:eek:

Interesting.

Well, this is all new to me.:rolleyes:

Hmmmmm...............nah, rather than let my natural sarcasm loose I'll just go back to making drum shells :D.

:cool:

I would like to point out something in relation to the drum/ sound,the characteristic of the sound would depend on several situations, the type of wood,(becouse some expecifics wood/fibers absorve some frequencies...but also it would depend on the shells,(becouse a thicker shell /wood, would restrict more the vibration of the sound/wave which have to develop inside the body),..The diameter of the drum would give more opportunity for the low/wave sound to develop if the body is bigger...The type of external components, (tigh up to the shells), would damper,or facilitate the reproduction of the sound/wave...The type of head/drum could modify the interaction of the wave/sound frequencies in the drums...The tuning modify the wave/sound of the drums...The type of drums/sticks would modify the sound of drums...In recording or gigs,the type of microphone would facilitate what frequency you are trying to get from the drums,( you could hear something in the stage which is going to be different than what the people are going to hear in the audience...The type of environment of the place,(Glass,wood,carpet,metals,altitud,how many people are in the place,etc.),is going to interact with the development of the sound/wave....And the equalization or, software which you could use to process the sound/wave,could modify all of the above.Dr. Zaragemca

OK, I want to see if I can do this too.

Welcome to all my new students who have been here longer than me...I would like to teach you sumthings about drums for all stupids peoples here...if your drum is steel/it not sound like wood...if the drums is small/it not sound like big/drum...if head is one ply/it not sounds like two ply/two ply not sound like coated/unless cloated two ply/not sound like coated one ply...thick shells not sound like thin shells because they are thicker/will not vibrate ace freeley...if you play with stick/not sound like hand/where as thin stick/not sound like thick stick thickness...microphone also make sound different/need speakers/and stand...plus where you put the mic all have effect on sound wave...

aahhh I give up. It's just too hard to sound like a know it all without good punctuation!:mad:

Ok EltonBear,I didn't know that Ausrock need a lawyer...I didn't say welcome for whatever the time anybody could have in the forum, I"ve been in music for 45 years,teaching for 17 years and consulting/writing for the last 10 years...welcome is a prase which I use all the time.Dr. Zaragemca

Welcome to all my new students who have been here longer than me...I would like to teach you sumthings about drums for all stupids peoples here...if your drum is steel/it not sound like wood...if the drums is small/it not sound like big/drum...if head is one ply/it not sounds like two ply/two ply not sound like coated/unless cloated two ply/not sound like coated one ply...thick shells not sound like thin shells because they are thicker/will not vibrate ace freeley...if you play with stick/not sound like hand/where as thin stick/not sound like thick stick thickness...microphone also make sound different/need speakers/and stand...plus where you put the mic all have effect on sound wave...

aahhh I give up. It's just too hard to sound like a know it all without good punctuation!:mad:

Lol, I caught that :D

i tried to read it but i could not get enough air in my lung to get to the end of it:D full stops please i need air

gasp.......gasp..........................gasssssssssssssssssssp

wow, i never cease to be amazed at what limitless, expert resources are available at this site. how generous of the good doctor to offer us humble beginners such valuable information at no cost, when clearly he could be making millions as a private practice.

and i really appreciate these pre-emptive threads that don't even wait for a question before giving a complete, informed answer. only a true master would be able to answer questions before they're asked.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ok EltonBear,I didn't know that Ausrock need a lawyer...I didn't say welcome for whatever the time anybody could have in the forum, I"ve been in music for 45 years,teaching for 17 years and consulting/writing for the last 10 years...welcome is a prase which I use all the time.Dr. Zaragemca

Writing what? "Articles" on internet forums? Granted you've been doing what you do much longer than I've been alive, but age and wisdom are not necessarily intertwined...

rofl this guy sounds like such a chop

i too love the fact that he decided to leave us with his pearls of wisdom even though no one asked..

i wonder if every member of the forum would donate $1 so we could pay him to stop talking.

Back