The Roger Daltry Scream

Cyrokk

Farce of Nature
This is both a recording question and a vocal question.

Daltry does it in "Won't Get Fooled Again", Bruce Dickinson does it in "Number of the Beast", Keenan does it in Tool's "Ticks and Leeches" and I hear it in Sevendust songs. It's not done throughout the entire vocal performance, but on one word, sustained through usually four to eight bars.

I am writing a song where that kind of scream would be perfect, but I have yet to produce it with my voice, which is akin to Dave Mustaine: whiny and gruff.

Is it possible to learn this technique or simulate it somewhat convincingly in the studio? What's the typical mike distance for something like this (my vocals are usually sung through a Marshall 603S condensor in an Art Tube)?

TIA

Bruce Dickinson ruled the world with that scream!!!!

I find a good scream has to come from a complete abandonment of all inhibitions. If you are totally uninhibited, and still can't get the scream you want, you might need to subcontract screaming :o

As for recording technique, I need some distance, at least a foot if not two. A pop screen is essential, not so much for the sound, but to absorb the spittle! :eek:

. . . have you tried more cowbell :confused:

Only BOC can get a scream that sounds like a cowbell :D

Actually, what I've noticed about these screams was that they were recorded to where you can only hear that high-end static. That's what I want to be able to accomplish. It's something I will probably never perform live, but the rest of the words will be sung in my typical whine. Usually I sing almost right on the mic with a pop filter and the preamp turned down enough so I don't hit digital zero. I may just have to experiment to see if I can pull it off. I can't seem to do it when stuck in traffic in the car on the way home, where I basically lose my inhibitions completely.

Not having much of a controlable range, I don't do this very often, but when I have done really loud screams, as high as I can muster, I actually aim it up in the air quite a bit....away fro the mic. It seems to lose the bottom end that way, and sound a bit more like you describe. Maybe that would help some..... :confused:

I Use some screams now and then, and the easiest way to record such a scream, IMHO is to use a dynamic mic such as sm58 or something.
I find it easier to controll it then, specially if its doen in the same take as the lead vox, if its just as an effect, then I supose a condenser would do the same.

but when using a dynamic, I just move away the higher I go.
I ususally think its good to take it in one take if you can, it sounds more real.

Another thing I`ve used to get such a scream is get psyched up, get mad :D , no but seriously agression helps.

I`m sure roger daltrey wasent smiling when he did the Wont get fooled againg scream.

Ps at the end of the scream (lung capacity) move slightly closer to the mic. :)

just my to cents

On Tool's "Ticks & Leeches", Maynard has distortion on his vocals. Not saturated, mind you, but it's what makes that scream work.

I tried to get that effect once, and I found you need a 'buzzy' distortion with a cut low end blended around 70/30 with the clean vox. The plug-in Trash works the best for this.

Here's a thought....as you're running out of air, slowly increase the reverb to make is sound bigger.Probably obvious but I thought I'd mention it anyway...

J.P.

sweetpeee said:
Here's a thought....as you're running out of air, slowly increase the reverb to make is sound bigger.Probably obvious but I thought I'd mention it anyway...

J.P.

Nice thought man :) :cool:

I saw a doco on the Number of the Beast couple of weeks ago. The engineer was in the studio pulling the faders up & down on the original tracks. He solo'd Dickinson's scream from that song, and it sounded nothing like it does on the record. More like a dad yelling at the ref at his son's football game.
Still one of the great screams though, just needed a little compression/distortion/verb/EQ assistance

The most powerful scream ever in recording history? Howard Dean's...... the scream that instantly sank a Presidential bid. God it was bad, and you just knew.....it was all over with that one scream.

Cyrokk said:
This is both a recording question and a vocal question.

Daltry does it in "Won't Get Fooled Again", Bruce Dickinson does it in "Number of the Beast", Keenan does it in Tool's "Ticks and Leeches" and I hear it in Sevendust songs. It's not done throughout the entire vocal performance, but on one word, sustained through usually four to eight bars.

I am writing a song where that kind of scream would be perfect, but I have yet to produce it with my voice, which is akin to Dave Mustaine: whiny and gruff.

Is it possible to learn this technique or simulate it somewhat convincingly in the studio? What's the typical mike distance for something like this (my vocals are usually sung through a Marshall 603S condensor in an Art Tube)?

TIA

Yes, you can learn it. It has to do with correct use of th Diaphragm, and placement of the Upper Pallette.
If you will snort - make a "pig" noise, you will feel the upper pallette in your mouth vibrate. You have to learn to place the voice correctly in this area - you don't do that kind of scream from inside your throat - you could damage your vocal chords. It takes a while to learn placement - because you have to build the muscles in your vocal tract, and learn how to control them, but yes - you can learn to do this. Granted, both Daltry and Dickinson are extremely talnted singers - but they both had to start somewhere.

I suggest both of Jaime Vendera's books. RAISE YOUR VOICE:The Ultimate Vocal Workout will teach you correct singing methods for POWER, and The Ultimate Breath Workout will teach you the correct Breathing method to sing with tons of power. Remember NITRO? Jim Gillette - was Jaime's vocal instructor. Hell - I've seen Jaime do that "dolphin thing" (called the Whistle Register) that Mariah Carey does. Included with the books, are key codes to be able to enter the Members section at The Voice Connection, and there you will find audio files that go with the books, as well as Video voice lessons.

You can get both books through Jaime's site.

http://www.thevoiceconnection.com/

http://www.myspace.com/jaimevendera

Tim

Last edited:
mshilarious said:
Bruce Dickinson ruled the world with that scream!!!!

I find a good scream has to come from a complete abandonment of all inhibitions. If you are totally uninhibited, and still can't get the scream you want, you might need to subcontract screaming :o

As for recording technique, I need some distance, at least a foot if not two. A pop screen is essential, not so much for the sound, but to absorb the spittle! :eek:

. . . have you tried more cowbell :confused:

This is very True - you have to be in touch with your emotions, and you have to keep in mind - the one thing all great singers have - is NO SENSE OF SHAME! :p
You've got to be willing to screw up in front of 30,000 people and not care what they think about your voice.
The flispside of this, is you train your ass off - so that you don't screw up. :D

Tim

sweetpeee said:

J.P.

The better answer, is to train so that you don't run out of air. :)

Tim

Robert D said:
The most powerful scream ever in recording history? Howard Dean's...... the scream that instantly sank a Presidential bid. God it was bad, and you just knew.....it was all over with that one scream.

The sad part is the Democratic Party has still kept him on. :rolleyes:

You'd think the first thing they would have done is try to distance themselves from him - especially after he began yelling at the old people in the audience. What a retard.

Tim

I am not sure how I do it, except when I do it, but then...I forget how I done it, and cannot do it again, until the next time I do it, which could be a week later, or a year later!! :D

Anyone else do that? Where it just happens or not?

It is frustrating to hear something really cool come out of your voice box, then a downer, not being able to find it again.

I know it comes from the gut. Way down deep...for me anyway!

Ahhhh...I would think that is where a trained voice comes in.

I need a vocal coach!

Have you considered getting one for yourself, to help you out with this CY? I think they could at least show you some excersizes and proper technique for this. :)

EDIT: I just realized Tim has posted some links. I should have read all the post first before I replied!! Good luck CY!! :D

If you will go to Jaime's Myspace site - he has a little video about him on there - and it shows him doing the Mariah Carrey thing while he's sitting at the keyboard with one of his students.

He also breaks of ton of glasses on the video. :p

http://www.myspace.com/jaimevendera

Check him out - he's freaking awesome.

Tim

Excellent advice guys! Thanks!!

I'm going to practice the placement in the upper pallette in the commute to and from work (where I usually practice vocals). I think I know that area you are referring to Tim. I've kinda noticed that I come closer to the effect I want to produce by directing the scream (more like a grunt now) in that area. If I do that while pushing the air in my diaphram for tone, I may be able to develop it to the point that I can do it somewhat convincingly when I record the actual track in the next few weeks. Perhaps if I do the scream like I was yelling at my parents (like Bruce with his track solo'd) and double it with the somewhat developed upper pallette technique, I can pull it off.

If not, I'll try running my voice through distortion or rewrite the part.

The best screams I`ve ever heard are done by Ian Gillan on Made in Japan, that is just raw power.

And to think he was suffering from bronchites at time, makes it even more impressive :)

Gillan did some GREAT screaming in "Disturbing the Priest" during his short stint with Sabbath on "Born Again".

David Lee Roth did it well too, but a little too melodic than what I'm going for.

Back