"The Reason" Song - Requesting a feedback

jerberson12

mucis procedure
I have mixed this song for a total of 3 versions.
Hopefully this will be the last.

Used Air Xpand2 and Native Instrument Kontakt and Massive X.
Mixed using Waves plugins.
Arranged in Pro Tools.

Let me know what you think!
Thank you!

Attachments

• The Reason.mp3
    7.8 MB
Nice vocal sound. Maybe could be de-essed just slightly. S's pop out here and there. Vocal could maybe come out front just a db more or so.

So, not anything like I listen to anymore, but nice work - I wouldn't attempt anything like that!

Nits: personally, the repeating, keys arpeggio got really monotonous at some point and then it was all I could hear. Kind of killed it for me, but maybe that's what the genre is all about.

And, I have some problems with intelligibility of the vocal, especially at the beginning. Maybe watch the volume and spread of some of that delay. When I listened with cans last night it was like the repeats coming in from the side were smearing over the vocals, but in the monitors today it's not as bad, but still, I think that it's not all just my old ears. Could be that the level of the backing (that arpeggio!) could be dialed back in the verses, if nothing else.

I don't have a problem with the vocal level, actually, but maybe do something about the background, or look at the attack on the compressor(s) to let some of the consonants through a little better.

To me, the contrast of very dry instrumentation and reverb-washed vocals is clashing. I'd lessen the vocal reverb and increase the instruments reverb, to make it all sound more natural. I'm on headphones

Very nice song. Great lead vocalist. Everything recorded and mixed quite well. My only nit would be to back off on the autotune a little.

Great singer. I don't hear any overuse of delay or reverb on anything.

It could use something though. Interesting how you keep the same chord progression for bridge / chorus / verse.

Enjoyed it.

Nits: personally, the repeating, keys arpeggio got really monotonous at some point and then it was all I could hear. Kind of killed it for me, but maybe that's what the genre is all about.
It didn't ruin it for me - it was fine during all the verses - but it would've had more power if the guitar had changed up the part somehow during the chorus 'you are the reason'.

Punchy and tight intro, vocals sound great! Agree with previous post that the riff is a bit repetitive , but that is kind of common in current pop music . Great sounding recording, again, vocals are fantastic!

Back