The Parting Glass

First a quick comparison between the two mixes. Second mix is a fairly big improvement. Vox in the first mix, as mentioned, are quite wooly. Real piano in the second mix sounds nice.

On the second mix...

The vocals are a little brassy in spots. Just a bit harsh on certain words. Maybe a multiband comp in the 2K-3K range to tame it? Lot's of mouth clicks. Maybe drink some water beforehand? Some pitchiness in a few spots. Pitch correction could handle it, I think.

Little pop around 1:30. Another at 2:19. I don't think those are mouth clicks. But I could be wrong.

Strings are nice. Maybe pan them slightly? Not a lot. At least when they're in harmony. But the mix is narrow with them down the center.

A pretty song and nice arrangement. Heartfelt vocals and playing.
Thank you for the comments!

The vocal sound in mix no. 2 is clearer, with fewer mouth noises, but that's possibly the only thing I like better about that vox track. The original track was definitely better for pitch. I'll try the multiband for sure. As for mouth clicking, it's a huge problem and I've tried everything under the moon for that. This particular take was done after swishing with olive oil.

The strings are panned slightly, I'll look over that again. Thanks!

Piano is really good. IMO the vocals are a bit too loud. Sounds good, just volume is too high to my ears. The violin could come down a tad as well.

Overall sound is fine, just some mix volumes. For reference, I am on computer speakers (not terrible, but not reference).

I like the recording, just thinking everything should be closer to the piano.

Great recording, vocals, performance, very nice.

I'm afraid I preferred the second to last version with the louder vocals rather than the last one with the lowered vocals and strings. To me, the vocals are the main part of this piece and need to be forward.

I'm afraid I preferred the second to last version with the louder vocals rather than the last one with the lowered vocals and strings. To me, the vocals are the main part of this piece and need to be forward.
OK, the difference is quite minor anyway. I'll go with that one then. Did you find it to be an improvement to the one prior to that?

OK, I think this calls for a compromise -- I was comparing the two latest versions. While the first had vox a bit too forward, the second had them a bit "covered". So I re-automated all the vocals and the end result is now in between those two versions. Just proving, once again, that a mix is subjective and never really "done" :)

View attachment Parting Glass mix 9 (absolute final).mp3

@Papanate That's right, I'm a frenchie. That, mixed with a Cleveland-tainted northern Kentucky drawl, makes for quite the unique accent ;)

OK, I think this calls for a compromise -- I was comparing the two latest versions. While the first had vox a bit too forward, the second had them a bit "covered". So I re-automated all the vocals and the end result is now in between those two versions. Just proving, once again, that a mix is subjective and never really "done" :)

View attachment 136658

@Papanate That's right, I'm a frenchie. That, mixed with a Cleveland-tainted northern Kentucky drawl, makes for quite the unique accent ;)
That mix works as well.

Back