The Other End of The Studio Mic

PapaJack

I know this is a microphone forum but I have a question for the tail end of all of this.

I have just started this recording stuff, for personal use mainly. I'm an old burned out Southern Rock/Country musician who now sings in a gospel group. I am setting up some recording equipment to record CD's, mainly to go at cost to some of the small rural churches we sing at and to maybe help some small groups that can't afford 'professionals' at this time but will in the future. I will never sale myself to someone as being a professional. If someone is in the same boat our group is in, wanting CD's, but not looking to make money, I will record for them. If they like what they hear, they pay me. If not, we shake hands. I get no money and they get no CD. I gained some experience and they lost some time. If they are in it to make money, then I would highly recommend they go to the 'professional' studio. For someone like me, just starting, will the Behringer B2031 Truth 150 Watt 2 Way Monitor Speakers be OK for a first reference type speaker. They are less than $400 for the pair. I know Behringer has an iffy reputation among this forum. Using headphones or even worse, my Peavy stage monitors just is not giving me a realistic sound. What sounds good through them sound like crap on a car stereo or jam box. Usually sounds good on home system with all the bells and whistles. Any advice. Keep in mind I have been married 31 years and would like to stay married. It has been hard justifying a lot of this stuff. Thanks for any input.

Yes. I've listened to the Truth monitors, and though they are a little misnamed, they are fine monitors. I think they're a little less hyped than Events, which everyone seems to like, and the quality seems good across the board. In fact, now that Behringer has cut all their prices so drastically, I have a feeling more of the people who disdain behringer will start picking up the real bargains among their gear, because they defintely make some decent gear, and no one makes it cheaper.

IMHO, they should work much better than headphones and MUCH better than (shudder) Peavey stage monitors. I've tried them out side by side with the Mackie monitors which their design is directly stolen from and they sound close (bottom was flabby and not as much detail on the high end) but at about 1/4 the price, not too bad. YMMV.

PapaJack,
Behringer makes some ok electronics - designs stolen from some of the best. Just stay away from the mixers. :D With the recent price drops, I'm considering picking up a few pieces of Behringer gear myself. The monitors should be fine for the level you're at now, and MUCH better than what your current gear.

Good Luck

Thanks

Charger, Track Rat & Jitteringjim:

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered a pair from 8thstreet.com.

Don't Know

Wheelema

I have not heard either one of these units. That being said the drawback of the passive is the need for a power amp, which I see is included. This would need some additional wiring. I did notice the output of this power amp was limited. The Truth has a larger woofer with a built in 150 watt amp and a separate 75 watt amp for the tweeter.

Realistically you can't make comparisons on size or output power because if the amp is dirty then the sound regardless of power won't be up to par and bigger is not necessarily better on speaker size. It may move more air, but if the enclosure design is not efficient you won't get good sounds. There are just too many variables and for the most part I don't know what I am talking about. But there are some 'pro's' at this forum who do know.

From reading your profile, we have a few things in common.

Read It

Jfogerty

Yea, I read that review already. It was a D+ at $800.00. Maybe it is a C+ at $398.00. These reviews I believe are geared towards the people that are extremely serious about the best equipment. I would like to be but cannot afford and will not be hurting anyone else by lackluster stuff. It will fit my need. This has been fun so far, and if I persue this in the future (I plan on winning the Florida Lottery) then I will get the good stuff. At first when reading some of these pro reviews I thought well they just don't like it because it is cheap and they have the cadillacs, but then I got to thinking, if I was a Pro it would not take long to ruin a good reputation by recommending equipment that is not up to the task.

Dude, are you CCR fan? They were big when I was graduating from HS. I remember for Christmas I wanted their album and was disappointed when my mom did not get it for me. Turned out she could not find it in the Gospel Music section. Fogerty is great writer. Always liked their style. When I was in a Southern Rock/Country bar room band from about '78 to '91, people always wanted to hear CCR. I kind of relate to Willie and the Poor Boys.

Thanks for your response.

I've only heard the m5's in guitar center, which is far from a critical listening environment. I've read a lot saying that the low end was missing simply because they were not very big. I'd agree with that from what I heard.

I hate behringer, but those truth monitors sound like a good deal at $400. Another choice is always event 20/20's with decent power amp..they can be found for just above $100 if you look. either way, I think they definitely work out for you and look more professional too!

I wish I had the balls to tell people "if you don't like what you hear, don't pay" Everyone I've recorded has been quite happy with what I've done, but still. I gotta hand it to you :)

Yorkville

I've got a pair of Yorkville YSM-1's that I think sound really good, especially for the money. I think they were about $100 or so. They are not bi-amped, so you'll need that too. I had done a lot of research into inexpensive monitors and these were getting good reviews about a year ago.

Don't remember where I got 'em though...

-Niels

I'm lucky, I have a retirement check.

Executivos

The only reason I can tell someone if they don't like it don't pay is because I am not in it for the money (yet). I lay the cards on the table up front. I am learning, I'll record you for a fixed fee. Come prepared, don't come to practice. When it gets close to my bedtime, everybody go home. I am hoping as I get better and feel confident enough to charge structured fees, that I will have already gained a reputation that is good. If someone does not like the sound, I've still gained experience. Now if they say they don't like the sound but still want the final product, then they got to pay. I won't let anything go out that I don't like because others will hear it, say it sucks and spread the word not to use me. Luckily I am not dependent on this for income. It is an expensive hobby that I can recoup some of my expenses on. I am just glad that this forum and you guys are available to share some of your wisdom.

PapaJack,

Well, yeah that is geared to people serious about their gear. And for not too much more, you could get something that gets much better reviews, like the Yorkville's (the powered ones) or the any of the events. But you know, whatever will help you make the best mixes is the way to go.

i hear ya...I'm not dependant on it either. The money I make buys me more gear. I try to avoid charging hourly rates, and just go by the song. That way we have the time to spend and get it right.

I would just be afraid that if I told people they didn't have to pay if they didn't like it, that i'd turn into a free rehearsal studio :)

Papajack,

I am glad to find out there is someone else around who does Southern Gospel. I sing (try anyway) bass in a Southern Gospel group myself. Send me an e-mail sometime.
larrye

PapaJack

I agree with you about the ProRec review. The reviewer was comparing the Truth monitors to Mackie monitors and better, with prices that are way out of the price range most amateurs are looking at. I did notice that the price to performance mark the Behringers got was higher than everything except the Event 20/20bas. I'm a total newbie, just got my recording gear, and for now I'm mixing on headphones. I've been thinking about those Truth monitors. How do you like them? The thing I've heard about the Yorkvilles is that when they came out they were an excellent value, but since then better monitors have come out for cheaper, and I'm wondering if the Truth monitors fit that bill, despite the bad name Behringer has.

Have not Heard Them Yet

*****I've been thinking about those Truth monitors. How do you like them? *****:confused:

Corban

I ordered these from 8th Street Tuesday. I ordered from the internet but called and spoke to a human first to confirm they were in stock. They were. I checked status today and see nothing has been done. I called back to see what was going on and was told they are not in stock. :mad: It will probably be another week before I get them. I'll let you know when, and if, I get them.

Larrye

Check out your personal messages!!

Wow, when I posted yesterday I had no idea this thread was only a day old. :D Tough luck with 8th street, PJ. For sure give us all a review when you do get them.

Papajack do your self the favour and listen to all before you buy

first listen to all the speakers they have then listen to the mackie hr824,s sure they cost a couple of hundred more but for active monitors they are sure one hell of a good monitor do not skimp out in this department you must be able to hear what you record and mix and i mean hear it the way it should be heard if you put a system together with some thought you will do far better in the long run then spending the few dollars you have now for the sake of owning something put the cash away and save a lil then wait for those sales to pop up

does the last post sound a bit off center to anyone else? His whole question/situation is he's not doing anything serious, he needs to get some monitors so that he doesn't have to use heaphones or stage speakers....He was looking at spending a total of $400.

Then you're telling him to spend $1200?

I felt bad recommending a $100 upgrade to get events. I know the mackies are awesome, but come on.

Back