The One That Got Away

wow ......... way cool! Yep, I lived in Baton Rouge my entire life 'till I moved to Florida a couple years ago.
Who was it that I bought that from ? ..... David Zammit maybe ? ..... no it was ...... oh crap, they had a big TV dealership/repair shop. Crap ..... it's right on the tip of my tongue ........ dammit. man ..... can't come up with it ....

Was it maybe Guy Schaeffer (the guy who played bass for Potliquor)? I dunno, a lot of brain cells have kicked it since then.

As for the kick in the butt I owe you, I will reciprocate for the very cherry early 60's Melody Maker that I had (also in Baton Rouge, also in the late 60's) that I thought needed "improving" by refinishing and installing humbuckers, tune-o-matic bridge and tailpiece, and tuners.

Was it maybe Guy Schaeffer (the guy who played bass for Potliquor)? I dunno, a lot of brain cells have kicked it since then.

As for the kick in the butt I owe you, I will reciprocate for the very cherry early 60's Melody Maker that I had (also in Baton Rouge, also in the late 60's) that I thought needed "improving" by refinishing and installing humbuckers, tune-o-matic bridge and tailpiece, and tuners.
I actually know/knew Guy pretty well. This is cool, to run into someone who was around BR.
No, I definitely didn't buy it from Guy, I knew and hung with Potliquor and I would have remembered getting it from him.
I think it was Lamonica but to tell the truth ...... that was a LOT of smoking/drinking/snorting ago.

ggunn ..... did you play around BR back then?
Under what name? (You can PM it) ...... I'm thinking I simply MUST have run into you back then.

I actually know/knew Guy pretty well. This is cool, to run into someone who was around BR.
No, I definitely didn't buy it from Guy, I knew and hung with Potliquor and I would have remembered getting it from him.
I think it was Lamonica but to tell the truth ...... that was a LOT of smoking/drinking/snorting ago.

ggunn ..... did you play around BR back then?
Under what name? (You can PM it) ...... I'm thinking I simply MUST have run into you back then.

Not a whole lot. I was in a band around LSU in 1968 that we called "Boss Tweed". Other than that I mainly jammed around. I went to LSU from '67 to '71, and then for a couple of semesters '72-'73. I met Guy a couple of times; that was why I was thinking maybe it was him who had that LP bass. Heck, maybe it was you; I had friends in BR and I went back there periodically well into the mid-late 70's when I was living in Lafayette and Lake Chuck.

Potliquor... I digitized Levee Blues from vinyl a couple of years ago and amazed some friends of mine with it. My band got to open for them in '78 or so, but George was long gone by then. I don't remember if Guy was still with them.

Bands around there back then I remember: Potliquor, The War Babies, The Basement Wall, Ivy Peebles Medicine Show, Bill Wray and the Showband Royale, the Luvrakers... The bassist for the Luvrakers was a Phthalidimide baby with very short arms and no thumbs; he played the neck over the top with his little finger hooked behind it.

Crazy days... We used to go down to the Warehouse in Newalins on weekends. I saw some great shows there.

God, I'm old...

Not a whole lot. I was in a band around LSU in 1968 that we called "Boss Tweed". Other than that I mainly jammed around. I went to LSU from '67 to '71, and then for a couple of semesters '72-'73. I met Guy a couple of times; that was why I was thinking maybe it was him who had that LP bass. Heck, maybe it was you; I had friends in BR and I went back there periodically well into the mid-late 70's when I was living in Lafayette and Lake Chuck.

Potliquor... I digitized Levee Blues from vinyl a couple of years ago and amazed some friends of mine with it. My band got to open for them in '78 or so, but George was long gone by then. I don't remember if Guy was still with them.

Bands around there back then I remember: Potliquor, The War Babies, The Basement Wall, Ivy Peebles Medicine Show, Bill Wray and the Showband Royale, the Luvrakers... The bassist for the Luvrakers was a Phthalidimide baby with very short arms and no thumbs; he played the neck over the top with his little finger hooked behind it.

Crazy days... We used to go down to the Warehouse in Newalins on weekends. I saw some great shows there.

God, I'm old...
wow .... I remember Boss Tweed ..... or at least that there was a band by that name.
I knew all those guys. Potliquor, of course. George is a born again guy these days .... Guy Shaeffer on bass ...... Les Wallace on git. He homesteaded some property up north ..... spent like 5 years living in a tent while he built his house. I see him from time to time and he's just as cosmic as ever. Must have had some longlasting LSD. :D and ... the drummer Jerry Amarosa. He sells beauty salon supplies nowadays.
And the Warbabies was Courtney Westbrook on git and Tim Rockett on bass (r.i.p. ..... shot and killed by his own son maybe 5 years ago or so). I believe it might have been Boo on drums.
Courtney's a TV guy or something like that. Plays with a band called Kicks that plays all these corporate type gigs. They suck .... well .... actually they sound good but they're the kind of band that learns stuff lick for lick like the record and are incapable of stretching beyond that at all ....... white boys playing at music.
Make a lot of money though.

Barry Edgar was the drummer for Basement Wall ...... I still talk to him a few times a year.

Alva Snelling was that bass player for the Luvrakers. He used a Hofner bass and actually played well considering he had like, 2 fingers and had to drape them over the top of the neck. He went on to be a drug abuse counselor that abused drugs. ;).
He died in a car wreck maybe 10 years ago ..... maybe more.

Bill Wray went to Hawaii and became a big resort singer there. Not sure if he's still around.
Ivy Peebles Medicine Show ..... dude ...... memories!
:):):):)

ya' know ..... I have all the Potliquor albums ...... don't know if you'd like copies of the others but if so, let me know.

72 Les Paul Deluxe

I bought it new kept it 20 years. This guy kept hounding me. He had to have it. He was gigging and I had quit. He kept it a couple of months and traded it for a new Strat. I should've kept it.

I sold a 1956 Les Paul Custom for $950 in 1981.

With the money, I bought the parts for a 'super strat' that I used to make a living for the next six years.

Don't use the super-strat any more - but I sure would use the Paul.

Oh well . . .

an early 1970's natural wood Les Paul, gold hardware and gold chrome pickups w/case... traded because it was in need of a setup and maybe a few hardware pieces that were corroded...but mainly it only needed cleaned up.:rolleyes:

i was young and guitars hadn't turned into "collectors items" at that time. the junk pile in the back for beginners was mainly old 1950's tube amps and other junk no one wanted because it was old stuff, used, rotty, hand built, junk pile trade in crap.....:p...lord i wish i had a time machine to go back and buy all that old "junk".

Courtney's a TV guy or something like that. Plays with a band called Kicks that plays all these corporate type gigs. They suck .... well .... actually they sound good but they're the kind of band that learns stuff lick for lick like the record and are incapable of stretching beyond that at all ....... white boys playing at music.
Make a lot of money though.

You know, the Warbabies and Potliquor were my first look into the original music vs. covers thing. They were both good, but I was much more of a Potliquor fan because I heard stuff from them that I couldn't hear anywhere else. The first time I saw Courtney fall on his knees singing "I've Got Enough Heartache" I was impressed. The second or third time... not so much. They were really good at covers, though.

I did the covers thing for quite a while myself here in Austin, but my heart was never in it. It was good money though it was never nearly enough to quit the day job over. I'm retired from that scene now, playing in an original band that doesn't make any money but is tons of fun. http://www.crystalflavola.com We are releasing our first "real" CD next month.

I'd love to sit down over a few beers with you sometime. We could bore the shit out of anyone else within earshot. ;^)

To everyone else - My apologies for my taking this other old fart down OT memory lane.

In 1979 I lost a 1965 Guild Starfire V that I owned to my own stupidity for having mentioning (in passing) to my wife (now ex-wife) that I was considering selling the guitar in order to purchase a Les Paul.

I ventured away on a business trip for a couple of days and when I returned she informed me that she sold my Starfire V and she was quite proud that she got $100 for it.

:eek::mad::eek::mad::eek::mad:

I hadn't thought about that guitar for years.

Thanks for the memories! :mad::D:(

1974_Guild_Starfire_IV_cherry.jpg

In 1979 I lost a 1965 Guild Starfire V that I owned to my own stupidity for having mentioning (in passing) to my wife (now ex-wife) that I was considering selling the guitar in order to purchase a Les Paul.

I ventured away on a business trip for a couple of days and when I returned she informed me that she sold my Starfire V and she was quite proud that she got $100 for it.

Hence her "ex" status.

When in Seattle in about '99, a vintage guitar shop there had a '68 Les Paul Deluxe or similar, black with ivory binding, and LEFTY, for $500. I had the money at the time, but instead of jumping, I "thought it over" and then forgot about it for years. Now, lesser 'pauls sell for, what, 5 times that?

You'd think I'd learn, eh? Well, think again. Three days ago I saw a Washburn Lyon acoustic in a thrift store, coudda had it for $30- my GF asked me to keep my eye out for a cheap, decent guitar. I "thought it over" that day, went back later the next day, and it was gone.

Two guitars near the opposite ends of the quality spectrum, but both great buys, and I don't have either of them. Am I an idiot, or what?

When I was in college 30+ years ago a local guitar teacher had a studio setup in his backyard where he taught his students. He also had a small shop for selling and trading guitars. I had gone in to purchase a set of strings one Saturday and there on the wall for the magnificent sum of $125 was a 60s vintage Rick 360. I plugged it into a small combo amp and tried it out--ripping through my best attempt at "Somebody to Love." I had the money but decided I didn't need two guitars.
Fast forward three years and I'm still in college, working weekends in the summer for a local music store helping on their delivery truck (somebody had to transport those pianos and organs to the customers' homes). The last weekend before school started the owner called the staff into his office and informed them the store was being sold at the end of the year. As we were leaving, he told me because I'd been so much help, I could have my pick of any guitar in the store for 50% off. They had a 1968 Danelectro Bellzouki (teardrop -shaped body, single lipstick pickup, 12-string) they had been trying to sell for $100. So I could have had it for $50. Stupid me for passing that one up--those puppies now go for about $10k on the collectors market.
Plus they have a unique sound--not Byrds' jangle-pop sound but closer to some wierd hybrid between a sitar and a mandolin.

1985, Stuttgart - I walk into a g. shop, see a second hand ES335 being sold by the owner. I plug it in and play and I know, and I know, I believe, and I see the "truth" there is a g, God! Glory, Glory Hallealuhya! I have been SAVED!!!(sp.)

I go home, I pick up my Paul and think this is nothing - I mean nuthin! A cheap imitation of the truth revealed by this particular ES335. I hum and ha. To be or not to be with this g? I do not have the money, but this g., the silky smooth tones, the action, the looks, is like a temptress haunting my dreams, seducing me away from my musical fidelity. No, the very essence of my musical being. I can stand it no longer. Three days of torment have passed, I go back prepared to hock myself to the appricots. I gotta have this sweet babe of paradise who bared her notes to my soul!

Already sold! Whatta slut, eh? Haunts me to this very day.

K.

My 'one that got away' isn't an expensive guitar, but had a lot of memories behind it... I sold a Kramer about 10 years ago, one that I hand painted a custom design onto. I owned that guitar for about 10 years, it was my ONLY guitar for 5. I learned how to play on it. Maple neck, real squealy, decent sound actually..

Anyway, I hadn't thought about that guitar for years and years, then about 2 years ago, I saw it hanging on a wall in a pawn shop! I didn't have enough cash on me to buy it back, and the next day I went back and it was gone..

Ivy Peebles...

God, I'm old...

I googled Ivy Peeble's Medicine Show, and this thread came up. My mom sang in that band, and it is nice to see people remembering them fondly. ♡

I googled Ivy Peeble's Medicine Show, and this thread came up. My mom sang in that band, and it is nice to see people remembering them fondly. ♡

Cool on you to bring back an old thread like this. To read Lt Bob say this is too funny/sad...
So I yanked out the pretty cool electronics and installed them into a Rickenbacher I had and threw the Les Paul bass away!

He's talking about a Gibson bass serial number 0001. Steve?????

When you're as old as me you have a laundry list of one's that got away. Pawn shop Marshall heads for a dollar a watt, super reverbs all day long for $150...
slews of vintage Les Paul's and strats that could be had for $200 or $300 bucks.
I guess the one I really wish I still had is a mid 70s Gibson Les Paul Custom that was Cherryburst (clownburst). A little local stereo shop had started selling guitars and decided to liquidate their guitar inventory and get out of the guitar business. The Cherryburst custom was in there....someone had routed it and installed a middle pickup. It had 3 cream colored dimarzzio super distortion buckers (ala Ace frehley) and the nut was broke at the little E string slot. They wanted $150 for it and I offered $100 and took it home.
I had the nut replaced and it was good to go. Man, that guitar played good. Better than any Lester I've ever played before or since.
A few years later I found a boat motor I wanted for $250 and sold the custom for $250 to generate the money for the boat motor.

It was an impulse thing and I've regretted that dumb ass decision ever since.

When I was in college (this was the 1970s, you understand - I wasn't responsible for my actions. We grew pot in the first floor dorm windowsills) I came across and bought a telecaster at some used instrument sale thingey. I think I paid a couple hundred for it, which was respectable money back then. I messed with it for a while, but it had some grounding issues and hummed like hell. So I had a chance to sell it for about a hundred more than I paid for it, so what the hell. Off it went. I learned quite a bit about guitars. . . later.

It was a pre CBS butterscotch blonde tele with a maple neck/fretboard and an original Fender Bigsby tremelo tailpiece.
I want to cut my wrists every time I think of that guitar.

Back