The New Tone Thread

The Sennheiser 'phones mentioned do attenuate a lot of outside noise...That's what I've got/use, & I track with my amp in the same room....actually sitting just a few feet from it, & they do pretty good....I do have to crank up the 'phones, but again, they do attenuate lots of outside noise...

Clips coming guys, been a busy weekend, but I'm about to get this shit settled in....Feels great being in the new pad btw...

Sennheiser HD280s supposedly give 32db attenuation and they sound excellent to my ears. I do most of my mixing on them (that's not really saying a lot, I know!).
I've got those HD280s and I love them for tracking. I also have those honkn' firth ones that Greg was talking about - I swear they attenuate a lot more - it's like wearing earmuffs made out of seal fat. Last time I cranked my amp, I was too stupid to wear either of them, but afterward, I was wishing I had remembered the vic firth ones. Next time, I'll try the sennheisers

You wanna sell any of those attenuators? I might be interested depending on what you got. This 50w Plexi build I'm gonna do is gonna need one. I'm not putting a master volume on it.

I have a few of the Weber MiniMass in 25W and 50W...at one point I had 4 hooked up to amps. :D

They suggest the attenuator be rated for *at least* the same power as the amp, but they really recommend you use one that is twice the power rating of the amp. Since you like to play with the amps cranked, I think for the 50W amp you would want the Mass version which comes in 100W instead of the MiniMass.
Check out their info: Attenuators

I actually like the Weber attenuators with their speaker motor, plus passive resistor setup...and I occasionally still use them as they can give you a more compressed sound if you want that. There's only a minor amount of high-end loss, but they provide a treble boost/cut option, so you can fine tune that.
I also liked using them without any attenuation...IOW, I put it in-line, but I turn the knob all the way up (no attenuation). There is still a decent amount of power attenuation in that "passive" mode...of course, you can really knock it down like mad with the knob, or even all the way to ZERO and use it as a dummy load...and also use the Line Out at the same if you want to record DI tracks for reamping.

I've been thinking about getting some of those. How much attenuation do they give? My Vic Firths do about 25db, which is enough, but they don't sound very good. Those Koss things are legendary.

I don't have the actual spec for the amount of isolation....but they are in the 20dB range, so still quite good, and they sound good too.
I mean, they were not meant as pure iso-phones like the Vic Firth. They were just studio headphones with great isolation included.

I have a few of the Weber MiniMass in 25W and 50W...at one point I had 4 hooked up to amps. :D

They suggest the attenuator be rated for *at least* the same power as the amp, but they really recommend you use one that is twice the power rating of the amp. Since you like to play with the amps cranked, I think for the 50W amp you would want the Mass version which comes in 100W instead of the MiniMass.
Check out their info: Attenuators

I actually like the Weber attenuators with their speaker motor, plus passive resistor setup...and I occasionally still use them as they can give you a more compressed sound if you want that. There's only a minor amount of high-end loss, but they provide a treble boost/cut option, so you can fine tune that.
I also liked using them without any attenuation...IOW, I put it in-line, but I turn the knob all the way up (no attenuation). There is still a decent amount of power attenuation in that "passive" mode...of course, you can really knock it down like mad with the knob, or even all the way to ZERO and use it as a dummy load...and also use the Line Out at the same if you want to record DI tracks for reamping.
Yeah those Webers are nice. The Mass 200 looks like the one for me. I could use that with everything. The thing with the "Plexi" style amps is they have volume controls, but they're not really volume at all. They're more like gain. They're preamp volume. The actual volume is what it is as soon as you turn it on. Put the amp vol on 1, and it's loudest kill-your-ears clean you've ever heard.

Ok...here's a few clips of the Chupa at the new pad...I added some reverb in the daw too...

LP > Bogner Red > Chupa > 4x12 > '57 (the last 3 clips have the exact same amp settings, I just moved the mic to a different speaker)

Bogner Red:
Volume: 3
Treble: 10
Mid: 4
Bass: 6
Gain: 4
Variac: On
Mode: Full
Pre-eq: Off
Structure: 101

Chupa settings:
Resonance: 8
Presence: 3
Bass: 3
Mid: 3
Treble: 6
Master: 8
Gain 2: 3
Gain 1: 6
Era: Plexi
Bright 2: C
Bright 1: C
Focus: Off

Bogner Red > Chupa > Greenback

LP > Chupa > 4x12 > '57

Resonance: 0
Master: 9
Gain 2: 3-4
Gain 1: 8-9
Era: 80's

Chupa > '65

Chupa > G12H

Chupa > Greenback

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you guys, the new little woman was there while I was recording these clips, & she said she thought the pictures/shit was gonna vibrate off the walls....lol...She didn't bitch about it (like the ex would have), & was actually pretty cool with it, so maybe this one's a keeper....hahaha

I think I'm gonna have to make some acoustic panels out of the Roxul I have left from the ISO cab build...Even with the close-mics, I can hear a little room sound in my raw clips at the new pad....

Yeah those Webers are nice. The Mass 200 looks like the one for me. I could use that with everything. The thing with the "Plexi" style amps is they have volume controls, but they're not really volume at all. They're more like gain. They're preamp volume. The actual volume is what it is as soon as you turn it on. Put the amp vol on 1, and it's loudest kill-your-ears clean you've ever heard.

Here's another option for you...this is a good price:

Kendrick Powerglide Attenuator | eBay

I have one of these also, along with my Webers. I use to use it mainly with my Carr Hammerhead, which is a dual EL34 amp, about 50W.
Unlike the Weber Mass attenuators...this is purely a resistor-based attenuator (like many other brands)....and it's actually quite good. It has 5 attenuation levels....or bypass. Also, as you can see, it's a lot bigger....not very heavy or deep, bit it is rack-width, and has the rack ears if you want to mount it.

Anyway...something to consider.

Good stuff Minerman. Must feel good to have you gear plugged in and working again.

Clips sound good to me, it will take someone with more experienced ears to tell you what knobs to twiddle.

We had a visit on the weekend from a friend who's 13yo son has taken on bass with the school band. He came to get a few tips/ play on some loud gear.
Santa was good to him: giving him a Fender Squire Vintage Modified PJ Bass. Well I think a P/J as it had a split pick up in the neck position and a single in the bridge position.
The bass is a 3/4 - well it was shorter than my Vantage but not short scale size.
That's a disadvantage for him as he's 6'3" at 13.
The things sounds OK but it is REALLY light coming to a bit more than half the weight of my old 1983 Vantage.
My very 1st bass was short scale & would've weighed more than this one.
Tone wise given that it has two, & diff arrangement, pick ups it's not very versatile: the tone knob didn't have much range and the 2 volume knobs were just simple volume knobs. There wasn't any real thump - I ran it through an 80w S/S bass amp & 200 watt single cone box and as the volume was raised the sound became a bit flappy/farty. I don't have that prob with the amp/box combo normally.
I'd have been happy to have one given to me - it certainly looks like a real Fender and I take any/all freebies.
Is this the new normal or something that comes with Squire territory?

Ok...here's a few clips of the Chupa at the new pad...I added some reverb in the daw too...

LP > Bogner Red > Chupa > 4x12 > '57 (the last 3 clips have the exact same amp settings, I just moved the mic to a different speaker)

Bogner Red:
Volume: 3
Treble: 10
Mid: 4
Bass: 6
Gain: 4
Variac: On
Mode: Full
Pre-eq: Off
Structure: 101

Chupa settings:
Resonance: 8
Master: 8
Gain 2: 3
Gain 1: 6
Era: Plexi

Bogner Red > Chupa > Greenback

LP > Chupa > 4x12 > '57

Resonance: 0
Master: 9
Gain 2: 3-4
Gain 1: 8-9
Era: 80's

Chupa > '65

Chupa > G12H

Chupa > Greenback
The G12H and last GB clip sound best to me. I'm not crazy about that pedal....or any pedal actually....but that first clip aint doing it for me. The last three are all pretty nice.

Here's another option for you...this is a good price:

Kendrick Powerglide Attenuator | eBay

I have one of these also, along with my Webers. I use to use it mainly with my Carr Hammerhead, which is a dual EL34 amp, about 50W.
Unlike the Weber Mass attenuators...this is purely a resistor-based attenuator (like many other brands)....and it's actually quite good. It has 5 attenuation levels....or bypass. Also, as you can see, it's a lot bigger....not very heavy or deep, bit it is rack-width, and has the rack ears if you want to mount it.

Anyway...something to consider.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not buying anything like that off ebay unless it's a retail store. I'm leaning towards that Weber Mass 200. I like that it's not impedance specific like Hotplates or Rockcrushers. I use my heads with 4, 8, or 16 ohm settings, so I need an attenuator that doesn't dictate what to set my head at. The new Jet City Jettenuator supposedly allows you to set your head to any setting and use any cab.

We had a visit on the weekend from a friend who's 13yo son has taken on bass with the school band. He came to get a few tips/ play on some loud gear.
Santa was good to him: giving him a Fender Squire Vintage Modified PJ Bass. Well I think a P/J as it had a split pick up in the neck position and a single in the bridge position.
The bass is a 3/4 - well it was shorter than my Vantage but not short scale size.
That's a disadvantage for him as he's 6'3" at 13.
The things sounds OK but it is REALLY light coming to a bit more than half the weight of my old 1983 Vantage.
My very 1st bass was short scale & would've weighed more than this one.
Tone wise given that it has two, & diff arrangement, pick ups it's not very versatile: the tone knob didn't have much range and the 2 volume knobs were just simple volume knobs. There wasn't any real thump - I ran it through an 80w S/S bass amp & 200 watt single cone box and as the volume was raised the sound became a bit flappy/farty. I don't have that prob with the amp/box combo normally.
I'd have been happy to have one given to me - it certainly looks like a real Fender and I take any/all freebies.
Is this the new normal or something that comes with Squire territory?

I think those are good basses. I might get one myself. The bassist in one of my bands uses one through a 300w Fender Bassman head into an 8x10 Ampeg cab. It sounds killer. Maybe the one you saw had some kind of flaw. It is a Squier afterall.

Thanks for the listen(s) guys...the more I play through that amp, the more I like it...

I know you don't like pedals Greg, but to me, the Bogner clip sounds pretty good, just shows everybody has different tastes/likes...I'm learning how to listen to all the differences in the sounds too, most of the time, they're very little/minute, just small little details that make each tone unique...

And, the e-drum kit will be here Thursday...I thought it'd be here today or tomorrow, but just checked the tracking & it'll be here Thursday...That's something else I'll have to set up/configure to run with my computer, but, it shouldn't be too hard really....To be honest, I'm about as excited about the e-kit as I was getting the new amps back in the summer/fall...Like I've said, I'm not a drummer, but I can bang out beats good enough to get a song down, & it will take a hell of a lot less time than hand-programming all that shit, or trying to get the software to do what I hear in my head...

Off to work in a few minutes...

It's not that your pedal sounds bad, it doesn't, I just don't like the way pedals compress the sound. For leads I think it can be a good thing, but it just flattens rhythms IMO.

Oh I know dude, like I said, everyone likes different things, it's all good dude!!!! To be honest, that pedal actually surprised me when I ran it through the Chupa in plexi mode, that's something I hadn't tried before, & I actually like how it sounds through that amp...The DSL is way different though, I'm sure I could get it to sound better through the DSL, it's just a matter of getting in there & tweaking...

Gotta run, literally!!!

I really like pedals. Not all the time but they have their place, certainly in the style of music that I like. I have 5 distortion pedals that I use although I am using the Jackhammer almost exclusively at the moment. Got it really dialed in now.

Pedals have their place! Really enjoying my tone at the moment.

If I had a great tube amp I probably wouldn't be so into them, but I don't so I am.

Also use a DS-1 quite regularly and have a DOD Grunge, Boss HM-2, a cheap plastic ibanez thing and the Peavey distortion channel on the amp. The amp channel seems to be fucked now though - I will try it a bit more as the amp dries out.

Don't really use many effects apart from distortion. Occasionally a flanger or cry baby - rare though. On the rare occasion I want something else I would just add it digitally.

I really like pedals. Not all the time but they have their place, certainly in the style of music that I like. I have 5 distortion pedals that I use although I am using the Jackhammer almost exclusively at the moment. Got it really dialed in now.

Pedals have their place! Really enjoying my tone at the moment.

If I had a great tube amp I probably wouldn't be so into them, but I don't so I am.

Also use a DS-1 quite regularly and have a DOD Grunge, Boss HM-2, a cheap plastic ibanez thing and the Peavey distortion channel on the amp. The amp channel seems to be fucked now though - I will try it a bit more as the amp dries out.

Don't really use many effects apart from distortion. Occasionally a flanger or cry baby - rare though. On the rare occasion I want something else I would just add it digitally.

Haha, I'm just the opposite. I like weirdo effects pedals, don't like distortion pedals. Unless I'm using my pointy guitars. Then it's all distortion pedal. :D

I quite like the simplicity of them. I'll have a few of them set up different ways for different things. I also like the grungy punky style of the tone... I don't even use a pointy guitar.

Finished the rhythm tracking on that song with the Jackhammer tone you helped me with. Well happy with it.

Full scooped amp overdrive is for use with the pointy!

Back