The Mystery of the Uneraseable Files

Toddskins

There is a game on windows computers called Internet Backgammon. If you've ever played it, you will know that the program cheats for you or your opponent. It doesn't matter which. When the person down needs a very specific roll, it will happen. You can predict the roll of the dice beforehand with uncanny accuracy. And if one person seems to gain a lead, the computer will automatically go into "compensate mode" wherein the person ahead will get a stream of low roll dice, and the person behind will get double sixes, fives, or fours, to bring the two players back to even.

So I have tried many times to erase this game from my computer, and have used two different programs that are supposedly the ultimate File-Killer programs. But they have not worked.

The blasted Backgammon files keep resurrecting. All 3 of them. One .exe and two .dll's.

Is it possible the the OS is designed to replace these files if they are missing, as if they're stored in some strange cache that's inaccessible to users?

I'm quite sure it is not a virus. I've run into this problem several times after doing a complete system restore. In addition, I've run and have currently run AV and Malwarebyte.

Could you get into the files, and corrupt them? Would that make them inoperative, and thus easier to delete? Or, since you know the file extensions, I assume you know the full file name- just save a file- any file, could be a picture of a kitten- as that file name.ext. You would have basically done the same thing- corrupted the files so they don't work. Just a thought.

Could you get into the files, and corrupt them? Would that make them inoperative, and thus easier to delete? Or, since you know the file extensions, I assume you know the full file name- just save a file- any file, could be a picture of a kitten- as that file name.ext. You would have basically done the same thing- corrupted the files so they don't work. Just a thought.

I use that to hide Sonar's .CWP' project files from the 'Clean Audio Folder function.. Just add '.xCWP or what have you to the extension.
Now what'll be interesting is if you orphan' it and the system replaces it again.

Interesting suggestion. What kind of program would allow me to rename a file with an .exe extension?

I renamed the backgammon executable to a different name, and it did in fact rename and shows up in the folder. The original no longer there. Then, I went to the Backgammon icon, clicked it, the game started as usual. Went back to the MSN Gaming folder, and found the original file back in place, with the renamed file there, too.

I tried to use Notepad, Wordpad, and Paint to do what you suggested, but those programs do not allow you to name a file whatever you like. You're constrained to the extensions indicative of those programs.

Don't know if this helps, but below is a screenshot of an aspect of the Properties of that file. Note that the compatibility tab states the backgammon is part of the Windows XP. Does that mean what I thought in the original post, that maybe Windows won't let it be deleted?

Attachments

• Gammon.jpg
    Gammon.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 29
Interesting suggestion. What kind of program would allow me to rename a file with an .exe extension?

I renamed the backgammon executable to a different name, and it did in fact rename and shows up in the folder. The original no longer there. Then, I went to the Backgammon icon, clicked it, the game started as usual. Went back to the MSN Gaming folder, and found the original file back in place, with the renamed file there, too.

I tried to use Notepad, Wordpad, and Paint to do what you suggested, but those programs do not allow you to name a file whatever you like. You're constrained to the extensions indicative of those programs.

Don't know if this helps, but below is a screenshot of an aspect of the Properties of that file. Note that the compatibility tab states the backgammon is part of the Windows XP. Does that mean what I thought in the original post, that maybe Windows won't let it be deleted?
That is different then. I've only done it with those 'cwp files which come to think of it aren't 'exe's.
Learn something every day here.

a lot programs that have the Windows name attached to them will still exist, even after you "delete" them, such as Media Player and whatnot. Maybe that's the same for this one?

Back