Votes: 9 6.0%
  • Zvex Fuzz Factory

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Your Amps natural tone

Votes: 62 41.1%
  • other

Votes: 38 25.2%

• Total voters
OK WTF? You don't even have an actual domain to go with your link there...it just links to one of those domain whore search sites. Spam dismissed...run along now.

The RAT!!! I've used a ProCo Rat II for close to twenty years now. It's the only pedal that has ALWAYS been part of my sound. A couple years ago, it broke down (the night before a gig - panic!). I replaced it temporarily with a Maxon Distortion Master, which did similar stuff but was a bit too... precise, for lack of a better word. Eventually, I sent my Rat to Robert Keeley, who fixed the brokenness (apparently a power supply problem, he sees on a lot of older Rats), and added his three-way mod. It's just a fire-breathing monster now! I can't even begin to describe how cool the Keeley-modded Rat is. Yeah, it still sounds like a distortion pedal as opposed to an amp (a GOOD thing if that's what you want), but it's fuller and clearer and far more flexible than it was. But it still sounds like a Rat, not the hi-fi sound of the Maxon.

And if you want amp-like sound from a pedal, try a Blackstone Appliances MOSFET Overdrive. They're pricey ($230), but with a good clean amp, they sound and feel so much like a plexi Marshall it's frightening. It's also the best-built pedal I own.

LOL thats why theres no website there...the DNS expired I guess. Well, I guess the pedal site didn't get off the ground

ProgMetalGuy
Did I hear you murmur "I liked them so much I bought the company."?
Have you some sort of Sprinsteen fetish?
Are you a trainee captain of industry?
Do you wear the pants?
Are you, or have you ever been, the boss?
Cheers
rayC

75% of the time, when I want plain ol' rock distortion, I reach for my Digitech X-Series Metal Master. I can make it sound like Black Sabboth to Slipknot (with proper tuning!)

I'd prefer my amp's natural characteristics, but seeing as I need the distortion, I chose MT-2. It's just so goddamn versatile!

Likely to get laughed at, but my Quadrafuzz does pretty well when a little grunch is necessary. VERY adjustable, just a trifle over the top unless you have a delicate touch. Mostly, though, a small amp dimed out will suffice for anything short of metal.

My boss ME-50 has replaced everything, I love it. I do use it in conjunction with my amp's distortion or sometimes another cheap distortion pedal. I'm considering using a preamp before the me-50 to beef up the input signal a little (so the distortion has a little more oomph).

BTW I impulse bought that $10 deal of the day rogue dst-5 distortion pedal and I'm pretty happy with the sound it has. Definitely not a tube or retro distortion but it is a creamy overdrive with good tone.

nukeitout said:
. I'm considering using a preamp before the me-50 to beef up the input signal a little (so the distortion has a little more oomph).

Another idea is to put a compressor pedal with a level control in front of it.I use my supercomp in front of my Sansamp and it works quite nicely.

I go like this:

Fender 40th Annv. Stratocaster (or one of many cheap-o's, knockoffs, or oddballs) into:

BOSS FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz (gain boost setting)
DOD FX35 Octaplus
BOSS HM-2 Heavy Metal Distortion
BOSS TR-2 Tremolo
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi (USA reissue)
BOSS SYB-3 Bass Synthesizer
Danelectro FAB Flange
Danelectro Dan-O-Wah
Electro Harmonix Small Stone (Russian)
DOD FX84 Milk Box Compressor
Arion SAD-3 Stereo Delay

into either a Crate Vintage Club 30 (30W all tube 1x12 w reverb) or a Peavey VT Classic (50w solid pre, tube power, 2x12, built in phase shifter & reverb)

Other various pedals/FX laying around that get thrown in there once in a while or get used for recording:

Danelectro food-named mini compression, slapback delay, tremelo, EQ (EQ is broken, but now is a shriek/squeal generator with 7 faders to control pitch and other aspects. It circuit-bent itself.)
Line 6 Tonecore stereo dock w/ Verbzilla, Echo Park, Tap Tremolo & Constrictor modules.
DOD FX75B Flanger
BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Danelectro Shift Daddy ($15 + came with free t-shirt)
Johnson J-Station
DBX 166xl rackmount compressor/gate
ART Tube MP preamp
Alesis Ineko multi-fx box
Korg Electribe EA-1 Analog Modeling Synth (I run the guitar signal into the aux-in and use the filter section on it)

Back