The greatest ever rock guitar sound

Isn't Brian May's tone at least on some of the recordings attributed to "the Deacy" amp, a solid state amp built back in the day by John Deacon? It's been a while, but I think I read for practicality purposes he uses Vox amps live, but has had replica Deacy amps built for recording purposes. Still has the original, reverse engineered...in a vault, triple locked, inside another vault, hounds of hell standing guard.

Greatest being totally subjective and not necessarily relevant outside of serving the song/project at hand, +1 for Brian May's tone on many of the Queen recordings.

Yep - subjective and kinda silly and all that.... but I agree that if I have to pick a particular rock-gtr-tone example that I think is the cream of the crop - I'd go with the first two EVH records hands down.

This is pretty great too - I can't be certain but I think Andy is probably playing through the Mesa Lonestar here:

Isn't Brian May's tone at least on some of the recordings attributed to "the Deacy" amp, a solid state amp built back in the day by John Deacon? It's been a while, but I think I read for practicality purposes he uses Vox amps live, but has had replica Deacy amps built for recording purposes. Still has the original, reverse engineered...in a vault, triple locked, inside another vault, hounds of hell standing guard.

Greatest being totally subjective and not necessarily relevant outside of serving the song/project at hand, +1 for Brian May's tone on many of the Queen recordings.
To add to this, IK Multimedia is doing a sale on Brian May tone emulations and that includes an AC30 and the little Deacy.

Only $30!

If nobody plays live and is only recording, I’d snatch that right up. $30 for two different amps emulating amazing tones? If I didn’t buy that Vox recently I’d get it.

I can’t speak on Amplitube’s Vox emulation yet until I test out mine vs theirs, but their Fender emulations (and there are tons of options) are insanely good.

Oh, and those emulations were personally approved by May.

Brian
To add to this, IK Multimedia is doing a sale on Brian May tone emulations and that includes an AC30 and the little Deacy.

Only $30!

If nobody plays live and is only recording, I’d snatch that right up. $30 for two different amps emulating amazing tones? If I didn’t buy that Vox recently I’d get it.

I can’t speak on Amplitube’s Vox emulation yet until I test out mine vs theirs, but their Fender emulations (and there are tons of options) are insanely good.

Oh, and those emulations were personally approved by May.
I think Brian used a few stacks of the AC 30s for live work, I dont know about his studio set up...
I Love Brians tone... but for me this is the best. I love Vai and Eddie sound, but for me this is the best. I grew up listening to Rush..

A Gibson 355 through a Hiwatt running with a 1970s Roland Space Echo and swirling Chorus.
The "Alex chord" .... F sharp 7 sus 4

Its just an F Sharp in the F shape on fret 2 removing the bar to play the B and E strings open with chorus to create a big ringing power chord

Back