The great tube amp vs. solidstate/POD/whatever shootout.

For the size of these files, you could of shortened them a little and used *.wav instead of the mp3.

I won't comment what is what, cause it doesn't mean anything to me(at least not in this context). Using a different song for the 3rd sample is an odd methodology though.

But all testing is useful, don't get me wrong.

You really should of used two isolated rooms with the exact same dimensions, temperature, humidity and acoustical characteristics. Tracked both amps at the same time, along with pod. The 2 mic's used, should be matched and the the angles and distances would need to be measured down to the nanometer.

I know Slack will agree with me on this one. :)

To address some comments, I used a different song and pickup setting for #3 because there were really only two amps involved. One of those amps happens to be extremely versatile, however, and I could have made some 50 or more distinct recordings with that amp alone without touching the mic and without introducing other effects.

Regarding the use of mp3s, I hoped that a little less data compression (> 128 kbps bit rate) would have been sufficient for test cases. Some of you mentioned audible mp3 artifacts. Could they just be other weaknesses in the simple recording chain?

Well, to officially end the guess work, recordings # 1 and # 3 were digitally modelled amp sounds that were mic'd into a 4-track. I didn't mix the amps for different tracks. The votes and opinions were all over the chart. This is the part where you flame me: #2 was recorded from an all-tube Peavey Bravo 1X12 (12AX7 / EL34).

Cyrokk and ruebarb correctly nailed the tube sound. Quite a few of you (e.g. ap, psmith66, Blue Bear, BBB, Gidge, and Aaron) expressed some form of preference for the fullness of clip #2; perhaps this is a testament to tube amp tone over DMA afterall. Slackmaster said that #1 "sounds sorta like a marshall amp hiding behind all that [buzzing and ringing] crap". Interesting. That was Line6's model of a JCM 800.

And the one who started this, who was nice enough to post the samples for me, wouldn't say. Ametth either hated the recordings to the point where he couldn't tell or he was just stumped.

Thanks for everyone's two cents. I welcome any more feedback you may have.

A Peavey Bravo!! No wonder none of them sounded like a tube amp!!!

...of course you know my feelings on Peavey and Crate, so we needn't go there :) haha

pchorman, thanks for doing this, we need more listening tests, regardless. And don't feel bad that ametth never guessed, I haven't seen that guy around much this past week.

Slackmaster 2000

geez, I leave for a few days and you've already revealved the culprit...a Peavey no less!!! heh.

Funny that I liked the tone of the Bravo because I keep one in the basement for noodling on when I'm not near my Boogie or PSA-1. The amp is not very versatile, but it has one good tone.

Back