The Girl in the Light

dachay2tnr

One Hit Wonder
Very rare original song for me. First I’ve ever posted I believe. Actually recorded awhile ago, but I reworked it recently. Be interested in the usual comments regarding mixing, mastering, etc., but also any comments about the song itself. Still a bit bashful about my songwriting talents (or lack thereof as the case may be 🙂).

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• GITL 3-4-23.mp3
    7.4 MB
Last edited:
Bass just a *b-i-t* too much, maybe. (When I run it through the Avantone, and the bass gets less overpowering, it doesn't suffer at all.)

The only other thing I'm hearing is the same thing I mentioned to Famous Beagle in 'Annabel Lee' - the ends of quiet notes tail off and get lost. Check the held note at 2.45, for instance. Automation would help. Parallel compression would help.

Good tune.

Thanks for the listen and comments, Dobro. I actually pushed the bass a bit in this last mix. I thought it was a tad weak in previous versions. I’ll revisit, I guess.

I don't find the bass too strong on my system, which just might not be good enough. I enjoyed the tune. Not sure about the fade out, seems not to be in vogue these days.
~Bob

I don't find the bass too strong on my system, which just might not be good enough. I enjoyed the tune. Not sure about the fade out, seems not to be in vogue these days.
~Bob
That might be because I’m not much in vogue these days. Lol. 😁

Thanks for the listen.

Nicely done. I too find the bass a bit dominant. However it give it a tango feel, which you could capitalise on by developing a more latin percussion track. I think I can hear some congas (or similar) in the back which could come forward. Vocal arrangement is great.

Nicely done. I too find the bass a bit dominant. However it give it a tango feel, which you could capitalise on by developing a more latin percussion track. I think I can hear some congas (or similar) in the back which could come forward. Vocal arrangement is great.
Thanks for listening and the input. I’ll take a look at the bass. Didn’t seem too forward to me, but that why we post these things. Gives you a wider view.

Very rare original song for me. First I’ve ever posted I believe. Actually recorded awhile ago, but I reworked it recently. Be interested in the usual comments regarding mixing, mastering, etc., but also any comments about the song itself. Still a bit bashful about my songwriting talents (or lack thereof as the case may be 🙂).

Thanks in advance.
View attachment 126365
Welcome to the 1960s - really cool that you captured this - bass is dominate on my system - just a little too much low end - you should record you vocals about a 100 times till you have the song nailed - harmonies are good though.

Welcome to the 1960s - really cool that you captured this - bass is dominate on my system - just a little too much low end - you should record you vocals about a 100 times till you have the song nailed - harmonies are good though.
Just for info, I’m not the lead vocalist. I did the guitars and the lower bg vox. Thanks for your time.

I like the song, it gets better on repeated listens which is a good thing. No need to be bashful.

'It's not her I want, she reminds me of you' takes me back to a girl I knew in the 80's that I tried a very similar line on. It didn't go down well...

I posted an updated version. Several comments about the bass. I never quite heard them, but I tried to tame it a bit in this remix. Also mastered it a bit hotter, as when I A/B-ed it to commercial stuff it was a bit weak.

Thanks for all your input.

Back