The Genius That Is kcearl & guitarplayr82...

Now that I have your attention... ;)

Here's the mix so far... thanks to guitarplayr82's synth notation and kc's bassline...

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9902634

Still a lot of EQ tweaking to do and it's still very quiet on account of the headroom I've left myself - but I think it's a promisin' start.

First cover I've actually managed to get to sound anything like the original. I'm especially proud that I wasn't too proud to ask for help - which these guys willingly and without hesitation provided. It's made me more determined to LISTEN, rather than assume what I'm hearing.

Tell me what you think (other than boomy bass - I've got more mixing to do). I think I've got that melody synth tweaked pretty close. In the first part, at least. To get 'that' sound I had to combine several instruments together, sometimes doubling up with different presets. Bassline's covered by my favourite piece of kit, the old Arcturia Minimoog V. Might change the drums later.

Hope you like what I've done so far. I know it's still suffering from some 'crapness' on my part... so if you have any critisisms or suggestions - please... fire away!

Cheers :drunk:

Dr. V

Last edited:
First 10 outta 10 for "band" name lol

Yeah the bass is overpowering everything else...the first thing I notice is the first synth coming in sounds very weak...almost like you're hesitant of what you are playing...but I know its intentional...Id slap a healthy dollop of delay on it and see how it sounds...sometimes when synth "bleeps" sounds weak and out there, its delay that transforms them...a flanger can also help

I like the guitar bits...almost like "The The"...some chopped up vocals samples would really set this back in time mate

Not bad platform to start from but needs some more work

and only too willing to help...thats the beauty of this place :)

It's coming along nicely there! I agree, it sounds very much like the original. I also agree about the overpowering bass. This is going to sound sweet when it's done!

Wow, that bass is really growling there.....:D
Don't know the original but not a bad try.

Still trying to nail that guitar sound. Got that little pre-ring/flange thing going on with the tone but there's too much distortion. When I do pull back on the distortion, it goes a bit too smooth and I'm getting some unwanted feedback, on account of the FL-Slayer's artificial feedback it likes to create. It's a very fine balance.

I'm nearly there with it and think I could get that with a few more intense tweaking sessions but how would you go about it? I'm wondering whether to ditch the FL-Slayer and go hunting for a new guitar synth.

Of course, I could just do it to my *taste* but the object of the exercise is to replicate the exact sounds.

If I can get good at matching sounds, it will help improve my techniques for making sound effects for the audio books.

After getting it all spot on, it will be cool to re-mix it to hell and see what else I can drag out of it. I've heard some pretty good re-mixes of this track on YouTube.

Dr. V

What is "the original"?

It's 'Ain't Nobody' ..... Chaka Kahn.

I actually do that song ...... not bad man.

I'm not sure I agree that the purpose is to replicate exactly what's on the original ....... it doesn't need to be exact.
Having said that ...... replicating originals IS a good way to get your studio chops together. Replicating sounds is a good way to learn how to tweak sounds and get them dialed in.

Dr. Varney ........ you've come a long, long way. I've been watching you from your earliest posts when you basically couldn't quite figure out where the 'on' button was. :D
It's very cool that you've gotten to a point where you're getting feedback on fairly complex recordings.
I'm quite interested to see how this goes once you add vox.

Dr. Varney ........ you've come a long, long way. I've been watching you from your earliest posts when you basically couldn't quite figure out where the 'on' button was. :D
It's very cool that you've gotten to a point where you're getting feedback on fairly complex recordings.

True dat

Keep at it Doc! :)

What do you mean by "...on the right"? Nothing is panned yet.

Sounds like a stereo synth. Possibly there is a delay on the right that he's referring to? Just a guess.

Other than that, not my cup of tea musically but it sounded pretty good. Agree that the bass is a bit too overpowering, but I liked the distorty-growl to it.

It's 'Ain't Nobody' ..... Chaka Kahn.

I actually do that song ...... not bad man.

I'm not sure I agree that the purpose is to replicate exactly what's on the original ....... it doesn't need to be exact.
Having said that ...... replicating originals IS a good way to get your studio chops together. Replicating sounds is a good way to learn how to tweak sounds and get them dialed in.

Thank you! Yeah, I am really going for sound matching here. Just wait till you hear when I let Sandra loose on it with her vocal chords... This should get interesting. :D

I started doing it because I just like the song. I'm an old goth rocker who has been harbouring a penchant for funk disco, soul and motown... I've always thought it might be nice to get down and slap my beat over Chaka's fat shapes in those thigh boots (if she'd let me wear them).

Dr. V

Last edited:
That synth does sound panned, and it is a bit off time. Nice mix though, keep it up

Ah! I know why now... That synth is actually two synths strapped together, playing the same pattern. I might have them panned differently.

Thing is, it doesn't sound off to me. Of course, I trust your judgement so I'll look into it. Do you mean it's off in relation to the drums? It might be a phasing issue in one of the FX plugins I have flappin' around in there. Worth a look if people are noticing it.

Thanks

Dr. V

It sounded like maybe it just needed to be nudged a little bit. I can't listen now, but as I remember it was a little late so try a nudge to the left.

Back