The Gear Wars!

Fenderville

The tube amp owners are mad because the modeler guys are coming close to their sound for a fraction of the cost.. The modeler guys are pissed because they have to settle on a modeler and can’t afford the real thing..

The American Strat owners are pissed because they paid way too much for their axe and they sound pretty much the same in capable hands.. The Mexican Strat owners are pissed because the American Strat owners will not let them forget they have a lesser axe.

The Variax owners need reassurance all the time because we are not sure if that is even a guitar or not..

The folks who are lucky enough to have vintage gear will always swear by it and will say that new gear doesn’t even come close. New gear owners beg to differ because they can’t afford the vintage gear that they really wanted in the first place.

Apl says that Carvin is the best.. Some say different. :D

It’s a veritable Jihad out there!

huh?

Fenderville said:
The tube amp owners are mad because the modeler guys are coming close to their sound for a fraction of the cost.. T

I own 4 tube amps and I could care less what the modelers are doing!! To my ears, they may be able to model the characteristic of the amplifier, but they are serverly lacking in the tube modeling department!! Plus, I have never seen a modeling amp with a real celestion speaker in there - I mean one of the classics - greenback, G12H, Blues, Vintage 30...

I'm not mad at all!! I just feel bad for the people who buy a modeler and realize that a good solid tube amp still sounds better...

I've never seen a home DIYer build a modeling amp but I have seen them build plenty of tube amps.

The mime's are mad because they have been trying to tell us about the tree's falling down in the forest this whole time...and the trees are mad because they hate mime's.
jihad...

I've been a "made-in-America" snob for forever.

But I don't give a shit anymore. I'm gonna go buy me one a' them $350 Mexican Tele's and have a good time with it! :D

Oh, and I've got a vintage tube amp (Matamp GT-100), and an amp modeler (Pod XTL). It's all good!

How 'bout guys that have tube amps, solid state amps, AND modelers and see a role for all of them in making music....

I say live and let live when it comes to gear. It's all about talent anyway right? If it works for you don't let anyone sway you to thinking they're doing better because they paid more.

But I will disagree about the American Strat comment, I didn't overpay for it and think it's worth every red cent. But that's just me, they didn't have the color I wanted in the Mexican.

The fact that people are passionate about music toys is one of the things that makes this all so much fun. I am always a little suspect of musicians that do not have strong opinioins about gear.

Zaphod B said:
That was the real issue, wasn't it? :D :p

Well, no. I did pay the extra cash because it was an American Fender. But color did play a small factor.

Just recently I’ve been able to afford the finer things in life (which doesn’t mean I’m buying them all) and an American Strat was always on the list. Of course I tried it out first and wasn’t going to buy if I didn’t like it. I don’t believe in VGA. If I didn't like it I would have scratched it off the list and gotten another Les Paul that I did like.

VGA = Vanity Gear Acquisitions: buying a Les Paul or PRS because it’s the “in” guitar. Buying a mic or rack gear because everyone else has one in their studio. Unless it’s the Shure SM57 which everyone knows is a requirement. Pawning my life away because some poster or professional said this is the bomb or never even thinking about Barhinger because most posters think their crap. This is different than GAS because GASers will buy anything just to have it even though it may never see the light of day. VGA’s will have said gear right in sight for everyone to see, even if they don't or won't use it.

I feel for the guy who is doing his best on the budget he is afforded and tend to despise “gear snobs” who look down on people because can’t (or don’t in many cases because the rate of return isn’t going to justify spending more than needed) use the highest end stuff.

Yeah gear snobs can tell the difference, but they’re not in the majority buying or downloading music. In fact you'll go broke trying to please them, one way or another.

greenascanbe said:
Yeah gear snobs can tell the difference, but they’re not in the majority buying or downloading music. In fact you'll go broke trying to please them, one way or another.
True, especially when it comes to boutique this and that.

The reason I used to be so pro-American in my guitar choices was because I believed, and rightly so I think, that during the period before the guitar-manufacturing industry brecame heavily mechanized, American hand craftsmanship beat the machine-made crap coming from most other countries.

These days I don't think there's that much difference between an American Fender and a Mexican Fender (installed hardware aside, and you can always take care of that at your leisure). The manufacture of most guitars is highly mechanized, and that's not a bad thing - in fact, it's a very good thing if the process is done according to the right specifications. The difference in cost is primarily the difference in labor costs.

While I will always appreciate the craftsmanship required to make a handmade guitar, I don't think it necessarily makes a better tool for making music. Same way with boutique amps - they are so expensive that they're certainly not representative of what the rank and file musician is using for live or recorded work.

Wait, so the Korean made Squiers and such are made by machines, and not small abused, exploited children? If that rings true, I'll be realllllll happy to go out and get some new gear. That's why I bought my Gibson Melody Maker(made in TX), because I didn't want to be supporting child labor. Call me a bleeding heart liberal, I don't care, but if machines do that stuff overseas, I'm totally buying myself a cheap strat.

What about gear that's handmade in a western European country but DOESN'T cost an arm and a leg?

post.aux.fader said:
Wait, so the Korean made Squiers and such are made by machines, and not small abused, exploited children? If that rings true, I'll be realllllll happy to go out and get some new gear. That's why I bought my Gibson Melody Maker(made in TX), because I didn't want to be supporting child labor. Call me a bleeding heart liberal, I don't care, but if machines do that stuff overseas, I'm totally buying myself a cheap strat.
No, there's always human labor involved, and your argument against buying gear made in certain countries is valid.

But I don't think that Fender is using child sweatshops in Mexico, for example, so I would gladly buy Mexican Fenders.

Yeah, I checked out their site and they give the stats for all the Mexican labor, it's decent. However, does anyone know about Squier stuff? (I'm a cheap bastard ;) )

Back