The drum recording you hate the most

As a metal fan, one of the worst engineers (in my opinion) is Steve Austin. His drum sounds are always so awful. Check out his band, Today is the Day. They have one of the world's best metal drummers (Derek Roddy) and yet the drums still sound like crap.

Some of the good drum recordings I've heard have come from the engineer Erik Rutan. He is known for putting together some of the newer metal bands finest recordings. Check out the band Into the Moat, and Hate Eternal. Both bands have such full sounding snare hits. It's amazing how well he can get the drums sounding.

PS. I second whoever said that At The Drive In's "Relationship and Command" has flawless drum sound egineering. By far, they have some of the nicest tones I've ever heard.

+1 on St Anger. I was hoping for something to get be back liking Metallica, but the production on that one, even beyond the drums, suck-ola.

IMO Peter Criss was the right drummer for KISS at that time. And while Eric Carr did a very good job in a tough position, Eric Singer didn't do them any favors whatsoever... Listening to him bash his way thru the early catalog was painful.

I grew to like the whole anti-production values of the 1st three KISS lp's, but while they definitely sugarcoated DESTROYER too much, Rock and Roll Over and Love Gun pretty much pWned.

The drum sound on the Latest "White Stripes" album is Just awefull ,becides haveing the worlds WORST Drummer ever (Yes even worse than Ringo) the drums sound like they used a shitty mic at the back of a Big Hall to record the drums...Just so Boomy and ringy with no real definition to the drums...

I really wish Jack would kick his shitty assed drummer out of His band but I guess that would be difficult since that shitty drummer happens to be his sister.....

In Utero had a great drum sound and so did Nevermind ,I also really liked the drum sound in the band "Big Black" even though it was electronic drums, I also really liked the Drum sound of the "Melvins" ,really heavey gut wrenching sound.....

:D

Funny to see these references to Alan White, but that's what came to mind for me, too. Man, some of those Relayer/Tales tours were smoking with big fat drums and bass, but then I'd hear the recordings feel a tad disappointed. Tormato was the lowest point for me. Now and then, I throw Close to the Edge or even the Yes Album on the tray and still have to admire Bill's energy and sound way back then.

Thanks for the tip on the Tales reissue, Robin.

J.

Hey! Don't bash Ringo.........

Tbecides haveing the worlds WORST Drummer ever (Yes even worse than Ringo) the drums :D

I'm not the biggest fan of his style of drumming, but he never did anything wrong. He provided a very good solid and strong back beat for one of history's best "pop" groups. He was never off the beat. His work was always minimal and tasteful and contributed to the sound that they made so famous.
It is unfortunate that a lot of drummers think of him as being of the same generation as Bonham, Moon and Baker. He wasn't. He was of the prervious generation of rock and roll drummers that sat in the back. It was drummers like Bonham, Moon and Baker that brought drums out of the backroom and into the spotlight. Ringo did real good for his time and was a highly regarded drummer before he joined the Beatles.

...............I'm just sayin'................. ;)

I am a huge Ringo fan, he was one of my favorite players, but I wouldn't really consider him part of the previous generation when:

He was still recording with the Beatles after Cream broke up (Baker's band)
The Who had recorded their first 4 studio albums by the time The Beatles broke up
Ringo was a recording artist throughout the 70s and 80s, and to a much smaller degree, even today, his career outliving both Bonham and Moon's physical lives.

I would say he was the first of that generation, though. More accurate.

Anyone that says Ringo is a shitty drummer has no idea what a drummer's job is. And, just to add to the ignorance, White Stripes drummer is his wife/ex-wife. Not his sister. No big deal, but it just shows what someone comes off like when they post ignorantly.

I'm not the biggest fan of his style of drumming, but he never did anything wrong. He provided a very good solid and strong back beat for one of history's best "pop" groups. He was never off the beat. His work was always minimal and tasteful and contributed to the sound that they made so famous.
It is unfortunate that a lot of drummers think of him as being of the same generation as Bonham, Moon and Baker. He wasn't. He was of the prervious generation of rock and roll drummers that sat in the back. It was drummers like Bonham, Moon and Baker that brought drums out of the backroom and into the spotlight. Ringo did real good for his time and was a highly regarded drummer before he joined the Beatles.

...............I'm just sayin'................. ;)

The people who want to rip Ringo should come up with an example of what they call bad drumming by him.

Hmmm. I would have to say 'White Room' by Cream. That was a good example of using fine studio equipment to make 'cardboard box' drums. .

it wasnt just white room ..there are a few others from cream that sounded the same....

thing is i never viewed that drum sound as inferior ....i acctually appreciated the no frills caveman approach of bakers sound..sort of played up the raw feel of the whole thing.

Ok metalheads
I thought I'm not very originall in this matter, but no1 mentioned Joy Division yet. Drum track sound sooo cosmic there.
About worst... hard to say I usually dont listen to bad music lol. Maybe early scorn.

White Stripes drummer is his wife/ex-wife. Not his sister.

In some areas here in the South, sometimes that is the same person.

---

I hate Lar's sound ever since "And Justice For All" but I really dislike the "clicky" bass drum sound so... (Plus, I have had a personal Metallica ban ever since seeing them SUCK live for the AJFA tour.)

myth of fingerprints

The song Myth of Fingerprints off of Paul Simon's 'Graceland'.... What the fuck is that snare sound? Sounds like bursts of static, or closing the hood of a VW bug...

In some areas here in the South, sometimes that is the same person.

---

I hate Lar's sound ever since "And Justice For All" but I really dislike the "clicky" bass drum sound so... (Plus, I have had a personal Metallica ban ever since seeing them SUCK live for the AJFA tour.)

Indeed, I dislike his bass sound though I've been a fan of his toms. Especially on ballads like Nothing Else Matters, that bass don't fit.

His pre Justice sound is pretty epic though.

Ok metalheads
I thought I'm not very originall in this matter, but no1 mentioned Joy Division yet. Drum track sound sooo cosmic there.
About worst... hard to say I usually dont listen to bad music lol. Maybe early scorn.

....cant quite get what ur saying ...maybe you are on crack..but can you please leave the joy divison drum sound out of this conversation...because you have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

First of all, yes Ringo was an awesome drummer. Great parts, great playing, and just what the songs ordered.

As far as my favorite drum sounds, I gotta give a nod to Steve Gorman (drummer) on the Black Crowes' Southern Harmony and Musical Companion album.

Also, love the tones in Rolling Stones' "Tumbling Dice" and Sly and the Family Stone's "Everyday People" and "Higher" (course there's not a bad-sounding instrument in that tune).

I've always hated the recording of The Rolling Stone's drums and also The Who. To me the crispest drums ever recorded have to be a tie between Fleetwood Mac and The Police...as far as the bust drumming goes....LED ZEPPELIN!

Tom Scholz of Boston really blew it with those damn drum triggers on 3rd stage, the biggest problem was he kept using them, even on the last Boston album, 2002's Corporate America. He was a big fan of Mutt Lange so that's a big part of the drum sounds.

I really like Todd Rundgren but some of the drums he recorded in the early 70's sounded really bad, like on "A Wizard, A True Star" and "Todd", I think the main issue there was Todd was going synth crazy and ran just about every instrument through a synth or filter, as well as his "secret sound" stuido was built mostly out of home audio equipment. Todd can record great sounding drums when he wants to.

Metallica, yep, another vote for most annoying drum sound

Led Zeppelin, a hit or miss. Sometimes they sound great, like you're in the room with Bonzo, somtimes they're buried in a mess of natural reverb like in a high school gym.

Back