The drum recording you hate the most

Alan White Redeemed.

mshilarious said:
And don't pick on Alan White too much, it's not his fault he's not Bill Bruford.
QUOTE]

Ha ha. It isn't, your right. And he has 'Relayer' to prove that he could play with the big hitters (when inspired).

Tales From Topographic Oceans (Rhino Reissue) includes a studio runthrough of a 'Revealing,' and the drums sound fcking lovely! Really clear and unprocessed. And the remixes themselves makes the album sound like it was recorded yesterday.

glimmer_doll said:
there is one song in particular on melon collie...i can't think of which one...but the drums are ridiculously far back in the mix, and they sound thin, like general midi drums on some shitty soundcard...

Might be Love. But then you can be sure it's for effect. There are some odd, er...sonic possibilities explored on Mellon Collie. :D

The more mellow songs on Mellon Collie all have those thin, hollow sounding drums, but it's quite fitting. In any case IMO all the rock songs on that album have great drums. I love how on every Pumpkins album Jimmy's snare is instantly recognisable—tight and bright on Gish, low and fat on Siamese Dream, big, warm and dark on Mellon Collie...

anyone heard taking back sunday's album, tell all your friends? if you want bad drum sounds, i reckon anyone should download a track of this, it sounds awful.

best...i always love john otto's drums

Hojo said:
Might be Love. But then you can be sure it's for effect. There are some odd, er...sonic possibilities explored on Mellon Collie. :D

The more mellow songs on Mellon Collie all have those thin, hollow sounding drums, but it's quite fitting. In any case IMO all the rock songs on that album have great drums. I love how on every Pumpkins album Jimmy's snare is instantly recognisable—tight and bright on Gish, low and fat on Siamese Dream, big, warm and dark on Mellon Collie...

it definitely wasn't love that i was thinking of...i think it was tales of a scorched earth...if memory serves...

Kiss' Hotter Than Hell album has the worst recorded drums of all time. Listen to any track from that album and see if you disagree with me.
Absolutely the worst.
Evar!

St. Anger Album

It sounds like Lars played the whole album with his snare of and he pounds on the thing the whole time. I love a good snare sound and it just isnt cutting it.

St. Anger just blew in general. The way they dealt with Napster was the beginning of the end for them, and St. Anger WAS the end. ;)

The drum sound I love the most is on Tool's 10,000 days CD.

The drum sound I hate the most is St. Anger's.

Kiss' Hotter Than Hell album has the worst recorded drums of all time. Listen to any track from that album and see if you disagree with me.
Absolutely the worst.
Evar!

OK, well, never mind that it was only their 2nd album, they weren't a huge name yet and therefore had a limited budget. It was recorded in L.A., far away from their native New York and they spent the whole time in hotels when not in the studio. Close micing of drums was a fairly new deal having only been discovered 5 years before at Woodstock and was just being introduced into studio recordings. What do you expect it to sound like?:rolleyes:

Um, close micing was not discovered at Woodstock, I'm pretty sure Geoff Emerick was one of the pioneers of it, if not others at the same time.

OK, well, never mind that it was only their 2nd album, they weren't a huge name yet and therefore had a limited budget. It was recorded in L.A., far away from their native New York and they spent the whole time in hotels when not in the studio. Close micing of drums was a fairly new deal having only been discovered 5 years before at Woodstock and was just being introduced into studio recordings. What do you expect it to sound like?:rolleyes:

First, nice to see someone bring back this thread.
Phil, I have to say after reading Emricks book it seem close micing was started in the mid 60's. (Rubber Soul) I've also read claims of American studios doing the same a few years before Emrick ( I don't know if that claim is true or not)
Hotter Than Hell has some crapy drum sounds but you also had a crapy drummer. IMHO. Crap in = Crap out.
The first Police album recorded in the 70's for only $2500 has a cool drum sound. Not the best quality but a killer drummer behind the kit. I guess it's all relative.

I am always dissapointed in the drum sounds from Aja. The album is a sonic masterpiece except for that damn boxy drum sound.
Worst drum sound ever to me is Squeeze Up The Junction.

I was about to say The Beatles used primitive close miking, not a Woodstock invention at all;)

I'm not sure about worst drum sound ever - can I vote for myself?:rolleyes:

The latest New York Dolls and The Stooges albums come to mind for me. I guess I don't dig the overall sound of either album, but the drums stuck out as the main offender to me.

I've been listening to The Black Lips' Let It Bloom and everything on that album sounds like compleat shit, but I still really like some of the tunes.

Here's another vote for Metallica's St. Anger, but I'm pretty sure that's a given.

Back