The complete basic to recording

ninjasuperstar8

Hello there, I am new to this forum and new to recording so I am your definition of newb lol.

My first quick question has to do with just plain recording. How do you start? I have about 10 songs I want to lay down, and I want to know how most bands do it. Do you record the drums first, guitar, then bass etc. or what is the first instrument you record? If you record Drums first, how do you play with the song? are you playing with the bands previously recorded scratch track or how do ppl do it?

I have a few songs that require 2 guitar parts but I find it hard to play one into the recorder then play along with the first track cause there is no set tempo. Lol but on the flip-side I don't have a set tempo (I find it weird to play my own stuff with a tempo) for these songs I just wrote them on the acoustic one day and went with it.

I have some decent recording equipment and not too sure how to put it to good use or how to even start with the recording. Can someone please help?

Thanks in advanced

Sorry bout that, I didn't know how detailed everyone wanted me to get.

The gear that I am using is:

Console: Roland 2480 -DVD
Monitors: Behringer Truth B2031A
Mics: Shure Sm-57 X 2
Shure Sm-58 X 2
Behringer Ultravoice XM1800S (3 Pack)
Behringer B-2 Pro Dual Diaphragm Condenser mic
Headphones: Akg-240

That is my recording gear, but if you'd like to know I have a Roland TD-3KS Electronic Drum Set. Personally I think I would prefer to record an acoustic Drum set for the sound.

Any other questions, just let me know.
Thanks

Well, if you have an electric drumset you could easily do drums + guitar at the same time in the same room

Personaly, I usualy do guitar first with the drummer playing his part while the guitar is recorded, usualy stick the amp in another room or directly record it so there's no drums on the guitar track, then give the drummer some headphones and have them do their part, bass, vocals, ect..

-jeffrey

I lay down my click track first, then bring in my drums then my bass guitar. The drums and bass give the tune a solid foundation. Then I'll bring in my guitars and keys (maybe). Kinda up to you on the order but this has been working best for me.
I know what ya mean about just laying down some acoustic tracks but it really helped the solidity of my tunes when I started using a click. It was weird for me at first but now it's second nature.
my 2c.................... :D

Since I am the only one in My band (If you can Call it that) I have to do all of the Instruments seperately so I have my Drum Kit Miked up with 8 Mics and I Play the Songs on drums First which is harder than you might think Cuz Playing drums to an Imaginary song and remember all of the Timeing changes it pretty tricky at first....

After I get the Drum Track down I usually mic up my Bass Amp and Play the Bass Track and once that is Down I lay down a Couple Guitar Tracks and then do My Mix Down (I can"t sing so i don"t even Bother) which is the hardest Part to get Right as each Track interacts with the others in a way so when you add each Track it affect the whole sound of every instrument....

Well that is the way I do It...I can usually lay down a Whole song in a few hours if I know the song well and it isn"t to hard of a Song....

Cheers

i find it easiest to do vocals last...
i just listen to a metronome on headphones for first track, then record second track over that listening to first track with headphones...
thats just the way i think is easiest

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I like hearin how everyone goes about their own home recording.

Now, on to another newbie question. I noticed that quite a few ppl use a click or metronome with their songs when recording. As I stated in one of my previous posts, when I wrote my songs I was pretty much just lazin, wathcing tv with a guitar in my hand and suddenly the song came to me or whatever. I would then show the guitarist in the band the riff I had and I would grab my bass and then we'd jam it for the drummer and so on. (You guys know how it goes :D ) But basically what I'm getting at is that I have never played with a click or metronome. My songs have no real set tempo, I just play them and go on. But where there is no set tempo it makes it difficult to record the songs becuase I can't remember exactly when the switches in the song are or I might be half a second off in entering the chorus on the second track etc. How do you guys recommend getting a good tempo for my songs? How did you learn to play with the click? Would I play the guitar or drum part, start a click and go up tempo or down temo till my beat fits in or how does it all work?

Thanks again everyone

Back