The blues had a baby

I listened to mix #2. Really like how you got the drums on this one. The whole kit sounds great.

Guitar tones and playing are exceptional as always. If I were to change anything, I'd work on panning of the guitars. There is a kind of syncopation going on with the two rhythm guitar parts. I think the parts would work well together in mono, but spread far apart to each side kind of feels like a tennis match. Then the tremolo guitar comes in on top of the left guitar.

If you weere to ask me, I would approach it slightly different. I'd keep the right channel rhythm guitar where it is at as far as level, maybe pan it in a little closer. I'd lower the left channel rhythm guitar down in level and let it sit in the background. Then I'd bring the tremolo guitar a little closer to center.

I would also bring the bass up a bit, but only because I love a good blues bass. :)

Love what you got here, man. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Chili.
I really appreciate your suggestions on panning! Honestly, when it comes to painting I don't have a clue. I have to give greg a lot credit for the kit sounding good, because he worked with me and steered me in the right direction on what heads to buy, microphone placement and tuning. He gave a listen to some samples I recorded, of just drums, when I first bought my kit this past summer. I will incorporate you panning suggestions man
Thanks!
you got plenty of good recorded stuff to work with here. go for it!
I appreciate you giving it a listen!
Sounds good man!

I like the vocal sound. There is noticeable reverb but I like it here.

Tight rhythm guitar swing rhythms. Real nice solos - great soul there. I love the subtle little licks coming between the vocals.

Drums match the guitar swing nicely - most of the time, but early in the track there is a spot or two where the drums aren't totally on board. Then I think you got in the pocket a bit later.

Mix-wise, I like it. I think the balance is fine. Maybe the lead could use a touch more mid range meatiness. But that's nitpicking.

One last thing - at the end of the song I can hear some guitar noise from your lead. It's like you're setting the guitar down or something. I am real big on endings - because it's the last thing people hear.

Thanks IBB.
Yeah, the drum performance isn't perfect but I'm still learning and I think I'm getting better. I have not EQ'd the lead guitar part, it's exactly as recorded. I'll try to tweak it and the vocal a little bit thanks.
The thing you heard at the end that sounded like me sitting the guitar down was...
me sitting the guitar down.
lol

It's tough to lay down one instrument at a time and really have a good groove. I usually have to redo the rhythm guitar and bass tracks.

right? Even to programmed drums, I have to go back in and redo guitars and bass every song. I go through probably 5-6 versions until I'm set. But I try to retrack with major drum fill changes or anything that might move the beat/feel slightly.

This is sounding really, really good. I heard a little gritty harshness somewhere too. A guitar or two for sure and possibly vox. You have a great voice man, that's some great singing there. Love the feedback at the end too. Always a fan of feedback :)

right? Even to programmed drums, I have to go back in and redo guitars and bass every song. I go through probably 5-6 versions until I'm set. But I try to retrack with major drum fill changes or anything that might move the beat/feel slightly.

This is sounding really, really good. I heard a little gritty harshness somewhere too. A guitar or two for sure and possibly vox. You have a great voice man, that's some great singing there. Love the feedback at the end too. Always a fan of feedback :)
Thanks man.
You're getting great results on your recordings. Recordings like yours inspire me to not settle for less than good results on mine.

Thanks man.
You're getting great results on your recordings. Recordings like yours inspire me to not settle for less than good results on mine.

wow, thanks man. really appreciated.

At 0:47, "had" has a thud somewhere. Either mic bump or air. Hear it?

Also, forgot to mention that I REALLY like the sound of that ride. Very crisp

wow, thanks man. really appreciated.

At 0:47, "had" has a thud somewhere. Either mic bump or air. Hear it?

Also, forgot to mention that I REALLY like the sound of that ride. Very crisp

I will have to listen for the thud. That ride cymbal is an old zildjian 20". it doesn't even have the brand name in the big letters, just stamped. I use 4 mics on drums. One on the snare (sm 57), one on the kick drum (cheapo $50 kick drum mic), and I use a Ev re410 handheld condenser for the left side overhead and a Ev 510 handheld condenser for the right side over head. No particular reason for 2 different mics for overheads....just what I have on hand. I put the re410 directly over the snare drum about the distance of 2 drumsticks end to end. I put the re510 over my right shoulder aimed at the bass drum the same distance.

The re510 on the right is mostly picking up the ride.

The right-side guitar's tones could use some more grunge to it. Everything is very distinct, possibly throwing a saturation/tape plug-in on the master would give it an overall more bluesy feel.

The right-side guitar's tones could use some more grunge to it. Everything is very distinct, possibly throwing a saturation/tape plug-in on the master would give it an overall more bluesy feel.
Thanks mj. I have a tape saturation plug-in I will try.
RAMI used to fill that roll. Taras is my RAMII (see what I did there?) :D

I miss RAMI. He put up some great recordings.

I didn't read the other comments, my apologies if this redundant.

Mix was clean, mix seemed correct for the song type. My only negative would be some thump in the kick (below 100) and maybe some bump in the bass to push it along.

Great guitar playing, everything just seemed to sit where it was supposed to. Other than the above comment, really is a first class song/performance/mix. Nice job.

I didn't read the other comments, my apologies if this redundant.

Mix was clean, mix seemed correct for the song type. My only negative would be some thump in the kick (below 100) and maybe some bump in the bass to push it along.

Great guitar playing, everything just seemed to sit where it was supposed to. Other than the above comment, really is a first class song/performance/mix. Nice job.

Thanks DM60 I appreciate you giving it a listen. I'm gonna revisit this mix in the net few days. Probably, this coming Sun. I will work on that low end a bit when I do.

the whole instrumentation reminded me of my favourite period of the Yardbirds.

Strong vocals...I thought the mix was clear and levels all seemed right to my inexperience in this kind of recording. Only listened to the remix but jobs a good 'un!

the whole instrumentation reminded me of my favourite period of the Yardbirds.

Strong vocals...I thought the mix was clear and levels all seemed right to my inexperience in this kind of recording. Only listened to the remix but jobs a good 'un!

thanks kc, I appreciate you checking it out

Back