Sweet Marguerita (Cross between Beatles and Little Feat)

K-dub

This blues shuffle is a remix/remaster of our 2020 production off "Every Now and When".

"Who We Are" was kind of a collaborative project w/ a core four at the center, but we didn't hesitate (like the Beatles) to invite others to fill in parts. Although I'm perfectly capable of singing my own material, my drummer's brother in law (who he plays in a cover band with) has a smokey blues voice that I thought might work for the material - and damn if I didn't like his contribution over my own.

So he's the one singing this. His voice just really fits the groove well.

In contrast to the pristine nature of a recording studio, due to the tracks being laid across 2020, MOST of the performances were tracked on the front porch of my home - outside.

We actually had laid the drum tracks down earlier in the year, prior to the pandemic - and then later decided to add the longer instrumental opening - which required me to cut and paste in precision fashion to make it sound like they were "spontaneous".

We eventually released the album 1/1/21 ... as I wasn't going to give 2020 any credit for it.

But I picked up some new tools later in 2021 - and I went back and said, "I'm going to have to remix this w/ the new tools." In 2022, I released the remixed/remastered "Every Now and When (Again)". This track is off that.

I've got about 50 CDs left of the first album ... which sold a couple hundred in total - now considered "Collector's items". :D

Last edited:
Holy loud! I like the song, good rock song! good playing, sounds and perfomances. The slide playing is especially well done! Drums have a canned sound, everything else sounds great. There's a mastered sheen on this that's a little over the top imo, like what LANDR or an ozone preset set to maximum would do, but it is loud and clear with a nice high end sheen. I liked the song and excellent performances all around i just had to jump for the volume knob!

Holy loud! I like the song, good rock song! good playing, sounds and perfomances. The slide playing is especially well done! Drums have a canned sound, everything else sounds great. There's a mastered sheen on this that's a little over the top imo, like what LANDR or an ozone preset set to maximum would do, but it is loud and clear with a nice high end sheen. I liked the song and excellent performances all around i just had to jump for the volume knob!
Drums are a Mapex kit recorded live w/ a real drummer - but - as I mentioned - I had to cut/paste in order to get them to fit the new song format. Spot on on the Ozone call - as that is EXACTLY what I used. I tend to push the limiter to just where it get loud and "locks" the mix together.

What I find interesting is that comparitively in the loudness category - I've heard louder right next to it - by significant margins. Still - agreed - it is loud.

What I find interesting is that comparitively in the loudness category - I've heard louder right next to it - by significant margins. Still - agreed - it is loud.
You're correct, I was listening through a new interface and i think my gain staging is off, i did not jump for the volume in my normal listening environment, my bad!

"Who We Are" was kind of a collaborative project w/ a core four at the center, but we didn't hesitate (like the Beatles) to invite others to fill in parts. Although I'm perfectly capable of singing my own material, my drummer's brother in law (who he plays in a cover band with) has a smokey blues voice that I thought might work for the material - and damn if I didn't like his contribution over my own.

So he's the one singing this. His voice just really fits the groove well.

In contrast to the pristine nature of a recording studio, due to the tracks being laid across 2020, MOST of the performances were tracked on the front porch of my home - outside.
Sounds great. With a title like 'Sweet Margarita', I thought there'd be some Jimmy Buffet in there, but no - just you guys. But I reckon Buffet would love to rock out on this one. I did. Made me stick my lips out, hunch shoulders up around my ears and boogaloo.

Good, good tune.

Mix: perfect through the buds.

Back