THD Hot Plate/Ohm's Question

Webb

This is probably the dumbest of dumb questions, but where do I find the ohm's on my amp? I have a 5150 combo and cannot for the life of me find out what ohm's the speakers are rated. I want to get a Hot Plate, but not sure which one is right for the amp. Thanks!

It should have a 16 ohm, 8 0hm, and 4 ohm out in the back. What's your cab? That's the deciding factor - if it's the stock 5150, it's almost definitely 16.

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--PEV6505ST

I will say that the THD Hot Plate I picked up this year was one of the best purchases I've ever made. The Mesa Nomad I was playing when I bought it didn't REALLY need it, as it was pretty forgiving at low volumes, but the Rectoverb combo I picked up recently would be worthless without it for home use.

Drew, I have the stock 5150 combo. Didn't see anything ohm-related looking in the back (although it's probably staring me right in the face).

D'oh! serves me right for skimming. ;)

I found the 6505 (same amp) manual on the Peavey site, and it looks like there should be an Ohmage selector on the back panel, that you can slide back and forth from 4 to 8 to 16. Look at that. I suspect it's 16 ohms by default, but I'm not that familiar with the 5150 series...

Edit - here's a problem, though - I didn't know the 6505 combo was technically closed back. Because of this, I suspect the speaker is hard-wired to the output, since the whole thing is enclosed in a closed back cabinet, and that there's no cable that runs from the amp speaker out to the combo speaker. You actually might not be able to run a HotPlate here, since you need to run it in line between the poweramp and the speaker.

Back