Ten Hills

joeym

Hey, I've finally managed to record a song under 4 mins.......!:eek::D
Last song for the coming CD. Now everybody and his pet lama knows I can't play any fast shred solos, so I went for a melodic kind this time. If you guys think it sucks, Ill get a "real" guitarist to play it......;)

http://www.box.net/shared/qr135o55n0

Thanx for any help and comments. :)

Firstly. Great Song. =)
It reminds me a lot of Pantera and Metallica which is great! I love the intro!
The guitars sound great.

I do have something to critsize though... the base drum is slightly too basey...
I think reduce the db and depth of the base on the kick. Other than that, great :)

Ps. Please would you go listen to my song...
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=309802

Ta!

Last edited:
Thanx, Micheal!
I'll check that kick again, although I do like it to sound nice and fat. Regarding loudness, this is gonna be mastered properly so I'll leave that to the ME.;)

There's nothing wrong with that kick. The guitar tracks are a little low in the mix, but I suspect the mastering/squashing process will bring them up. I really like this one Joey. I usually hear a lot of Iron Maiden in your songs, and this one really reminds of of Maiden. And my favorite part.....it's not over-drummed. This mofo rocks right along steady and hard. Very well done. :)

Sorry I'm still a beginner so I'm not exactly too experienced when it comes to recording. Don't listen to me :) It could also be because of my heavy setup that I have here in my room.

Cool song. I like the grit in your voice. More prominent in this song than others.

I think the kick is a bit loud also, maybe mastering will tame it. Everything else will fall into place if you bring it down a little. I think something like this shows the differences in our listening rooms. I've got this tune going through a sub, so it's REALLY thumpin', but when I listen to commercial material, it's sounds balanced. ymmv...

Intenseza, your opinions are valid whether you have experience with recording or not. We all have experience listening. However, please don't pimp your tunes in someone else's thread, just start your own thread. Welcome to the site.

Sorry I'm still a beginner so I'm not exactly too experienced when it comes to recording. Don't listen to me :) It could also be because of my heavy setup that I have here in my room.

Hey man, welcome to the forum. Don't take anything personal when it comes to the mix and or master section here. This almost boils down to personal taste and system setup. I like a lot of bass in my music where my dad likes less ETC ETC.

coulda come straight off number of the beast!* :)

liked the guit tone, vocals spot on, drums great....backing vocs solid, strong chorus..solo fitted like it was meant to be

mixed sounded inch perfect to me...cant think of anything at all mate sorry, ah yeah one nit pick...it was too short! :D

I know you say it with my stuff but this may be your best one yet, at least the most commercially accessible..great work J!

*I have maidens entire collection lol :)

There's nothing wrong with that kick. The guitar tracks are a little low in the mix, but I suspect the mastering/squashing process will bring them up. I really like this one Joey. I usually hear a lot of Iron Maiden in your songs, and this one really reminds of of Maiden. And my favorite part.....it's not over-drummed. This mofo rocks right along steady and hard. Very well done. :)

Thanx Greg!
Yeah, this time I took your advice and tried to keep this as straight as possible.:D Yup, lots of Maiden here....I'll check those guitars again.:)

Cool song. I like the grit in your voice. More prominent in this song than others.

I think the kick is a bit loud also, maybe mastering will tame it. Everything else will fall into place if you bring it down a little. I think something like this shows the differences in our listening rooms. I've got this tune going through a sub, so it's REALLY thumpin', but when I listen to commercial material, it's sounds balanced. ymmv...

Intenseza, your opinions are valid whether you have experience with recording or not. We all have experience listening. However, please don't pimp your tunes in someone else's thread, just start your own thread. Welcome to the site.

Hey Dave!
I've got it thumping thru my sub too, I quite like it up front, in fact I was using a track from Maiden's last album as reference and it's quite close. But this doesn't have to be the final mix. Thanx for the comments!:)

coulda come straight off number of the beast!* :)

liked the guit tone, vocals spot on, drums great....backing vocs solid, strong chorus..solo fitted like it was meant to be

mixed sounded inch perfect to me...cant think of anything at all mate sorry, ah yeah one nit pick...it was too short! :D

I know you say it with my stuff but this may be your best one yet, at least the most commercially accessible..great work J!

*I have maidens entire collection lol :)

Yes...I should be ashamed of myself for making it so short......seriously though, I wasn't thinking about the length, it just turned out this way.:D
You're right about the accessibility though, it's straight and unpretentious, that's what I like about it. Thanx for the comments!:)

All I can say is WOW!!!! Great tune, great performance...RJ DIO singing a new Iron Maiden song...what's not to like! :D Well...the lead could come up a bit ;)

Love your stuff, Joey. I hope you keep writing, even though all the songs for your CD are now done. I really look forward to listening to them. I hope you don't mind, but when people ask me if fake drums can ever sound real, I use you as a reference as someone who actually knows how to make fake drums sound good in hard-rock / metal type of music.

Two nits.

1. hi-hat sounds a bit too brittle. For my taste, it goes ever so slightly beyond the "crisp" into the "brittle" area. Simple EQ would do the trick for me..

2. When your music is in the "pump" area (when the beat is just solid... no fills), you're using your hat alone with the snare, instead of playing it half-time with the snare AND the kick. I think the song would drive more if you just added a hat-hit with the kick as well as the snare.

Super tiny nits, but that's it, dude... Amazing performance, as usual - and I'm with Greg. That kick is right-spot-on. Don't touch it.

Love your stuff, Joey. I hope you keep writing, even though all the songs for your CD are now done. I really look forward to listening to them. I hope you don't mind, but when people ask me if fake drums can ever sound real, I use you as a reference as someone who actually knows how to make fake drums sound good in hard-rock / metal type of music.

Two nits.

1. hi-hat sounds a bit too brittle. For my taste, it goes ever so slightly beyond the "crisp" into the "brittle" area. Simple EQ would do the trick for me..

2. When your music is in the "pump" area (when the beat is just solid... no fills), you're using your hat alone with the snare, instead of playing it half-time with the snare AND the kick. I think the song would drive more if you just added a hat-hit with the kick as well as the snare.

Super tiny nits, but that's it, dude... Amazing performance, as usual - and I'm with Greg. That kick is right-spot-on. Don't touch it.

That's really good advice with the hihat, Jason. Do you mean in the verses or in the chorus? Just to make sure I understand what you mean, I'll reprogramme that part and send it to you, if you don't mind. It's always good to have feedback from a real drummer. Really appreciate your help! :)

Good performances all around. Guitars sounded good to me.

I thought the drums were good except the cymbals. They were a little grating. Just a bit. Particularly noticable in the verses.

I thought the mix could use just a little more low end.

Back