• jackson_mic.jpg
    jackson_mic.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 249
Big Kenny said:
Brauner Phantom C
NTK
Groove Tubes MD 1b (FET and TUBE)
AT 4033 & 3035
Shure sm7 and 6 or 7 58's and beta 58's and a 545 s(american made)
EV RE 20
Sennheiser 441
Studio Projects C3
4 oktava mk012's
CAD M37 & 179
buncha live mics

How do ya like that CAD M179? I started out looking for an omni mic, came across this one and figured it would be more flexible. It's at the top of my "to buy" list for now.

jeff5xo said:
I'm having trouble finding the Octava's MC012, anyone know where I can pick these up? Are they not being made anymore? A link would be great, thanks for any help!

If you don't need a matched pair or just want to try one, I've had good luck picking them up on Ebay for about $100, sometimes less. I also like the Mk319, used it as a drum OH last week for a live jazz combo and it was the best drum OH track I ever got. I almost did not need to mic the rest of the kit, even the bass drum had a nice presence.

<<That is almost permission to go get one, what's your next move, Wade?>>

well, Kenny, to be honest, i'm not sure and i could use some help. :D

part of me wants another V67 for overhead duties--i *love* my current V67 in that role and a pair of them would be nice for stereo. but that's not a burning concern as i don't record drums all that frequently, and i don't use my V67 for all that much as it is.

along that line, i need a better snare mic--i'd like a beyer 201, but again, i don't record drums (or amps) all that often.

part of me REALLY wants an SM7. my RE-38 is a very close cousin to the RE20/27, so i do have the "good dynamic" role filled......but i'd really like to acquire an SM7.

honestly, of anything, i'm leaning towards a tube mic. the V69 and V77 have always been pretty high on my list, and i have to admit that the new MXL tube mic may be intriguing. i seem to have missed out on the GT44's at GC......but honestly, after thoroughly enjoying my Dragonfly, i'm not sure i want another chinese-made "knockoff", no matter how "good".

so.....i'm really torn. to be totally honest, i think my mics are "ok" for now--especially with the addition of the Dragonfly a few months back......it's my outboard mic pres that need work. i've got a mackie 24*4, which is fine for "a lotta cheap pres", a VTB1 and a Symetrix 528.....and that's IT.

so honestly, i think my $$ would be better spent on an RNC, or maybe on one of those Old School Audio lunchboxes (and then subsequent channel cards) than on another mic right now.

your thoughts?

cheers,
wade

Mics

Lets see, instead of a mortgage, new car, or anything else for that matter, I chose:

- Neumann U87 - 1
- AKG Solid Tube - 1
- AKG 451B - 1
- AKG D112 - 1
- Royer 121 - 2
- AT 4050 - 2
- AT ATM25 -1
- AT 4000C - 1
- Shure 57 - 4
- Shure 58 - 2
- Shure SM7 - 1
- Shure Beta 87 -1
- Earthworks SRO - 2
- Sennheiser 421 - 2
- Sennheiser 604 - 3
- Sennheiser 602 - 1
- Electrovoice Re20 - 1
- Rode NT5 - 2
- The "Shack" Omnis circa 1978 - 2

Pretty Much settled for now,,,,,,,lol. I haven't used the 87 all that much,,,,,been considering dropping it and getting a few other boutique mics. Of course for some reason people actually call to see if I have this mic,,,,,,,,then of course 90% of the time,,,,,,,,it doesnt work or match up for them !!!!! Damn Neumanns !

- Dano

mrface2112 said:
so honestly, i think my $$ would be better spent on an RNC, or maybe on one of those Old School Audio lunchboxes (and then subsequent channel cards) than on another mic right now.

your thoughts?

cheers,
wade
I know that ultimately it is function over form, and I'm sure that the RNC and RNP are really good for the money, but WHY OH WHY did they have to make them so damned ugly???

sile2001 said:
I know that ultimately it is function over form, and I'm sure that the RNC and RNP are really good for the money, but WHY OH WHY did they have to make them so damned ugly???
No big deal - you mount them in the Funk Logic plates and it makes them REALLY pretty:

mercenary-audio_1825_1049779

VERY wise!!!!! The bug will get you soon enough and if you are pleased with what's going on just wait til something comes along that you "gotta have"
In the meantime, match up your Marshall and grab a 57, just so you can say you have one.

My shit's nothing unusual or special, but...

(4) SM57 (I don't really care for them but they're alright utility mics)
(1) EV 635
(1) Sennheiser e609 (I wouldn't mind picking up another one of these)
(1) MXL v67G
(2) Oktava 012
(2) Oktava MK219 (I don't care what anyone says, I like these, and I only paid $30 for them)
(1) Audio Technica ATM25
(1) Shure 550 desktop paging mic (I plan on using this for talkback one day, and its got a frequency response with no high or low end which gives it a real low-fi sound)
Various Shure, AKG, and AT dynamic live mics
and sometimes my cousin loans me his AT 4033

No more mics for me until I scrape together the cash to get myself an A&H MixWizard 16:2.

Sorry- no up to date pictures. I don't think I've done this in a while-

AKG- D690,D770,D320B,D112,C2000B,C414B-ULS
Electrovoice- N/D 257
Oktava- MC012 (2), MK319, ML-52
Shure-SM57, SM7B, SM82, 55S,
Rode-NTK
B.L.U.E.- Baby Bottle, Kiwi
Sennheiser-e835,e609
Neumann- KM184 (2)
Behringer- ECM8000 (2)
SONY- ECM-MS957
Studio Projects- C-4 (2), B-1
and a couple of cheap talkback mics

My next mic targets? MD421, MD441, Lawson L47 MKII, and another C414.

Overall, it's way short of a world class collection, but I can record whatever you got with something.-Richie

Last edited:
2x-Groove Tubes AM 52
4x-SM-57
2X-SM-58
1X-SM-91
1X-BETA-57
1X-ADK A-51
1X-D112
2X-Sennheiser MD-421U

Not very glamorous, but enough to get the job done. My next addition is going to be (hopefully) a Neumann U-89.

I've been using these a lot so they're up all the time

I'm sure these are so familiar I don't even have to say what they are...

Attachments

• Mvc-528e.jpg
    Mvc-528e.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 71
Used to record only solo fingerstyle acoustic guitar or classical guitar:

(2) Schoeps CMC6/MK4
(1) Microtech Gefell UMT800
(1) CAD VX2
(1) ADK A48
(1) Groove Tubes GT44 (for live gigging)

Soon to be added:
(2) Microtech Gefell M295

Back